Introduction

Hey guys I have lurked long enough so I guess its time to become a involved member. I grew up splitting my time between sports and the outdoors. Only hours after my last basketball game at eastern Washington university I knew it was time to focus on my true passion. I am now the owner of Lewis and Clark guide service, a year around fishing guide service in the Portland area. On the hunting side I mainly pack a bow with me but do get the itch to tote a rifle around on occasion. The steeper and more remote the better for me and my hunting partners. We now have 4 pack goats that just turned 3 years old We have used them on one trip so far and cant wait to put the back to work this spring. Here is a quick video of the goats first trip out and my buddy's daughter first branch bull. It will become clear I am not very good with the camera.[video=youtube;JIUh_CdoLJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIUh_CdoLJM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice goats. I was surprised to see that you didnt have to tie em. Just follow you around like a dog. Nice.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
good to have you. I get a lot of questions about packing goats (I'm a horse packer) and I never know what to say. I'm sending them to the new expert!
Thanks for being part of Rokslide.

Ashley

FNG
Those are some nice looking boys you've got there! We've got alpine and ober pack goats. I can't tell what brand your saddles are, are they home made? I like the bucket panniers! Where did your boys come from? It's great to see more pack goats! We are just getting into it ourselves and we are looking forward to getting out guys out this summer on some hiking trips.

OP
L
thanks for the welcomes. The goats have been great but it was a long three years before they were able to pack. Now that the wait is over I am glad we stuck with it. Because that was there first trip we took it easy on them. They packed out the hams, loose meat and some of the camp. I had the 2 shoulders my buddy took head cape horns, and his daughter got the rest of camp. Next year the goats will pack all the meat.
Ashley 2 of the frames we bought used then we made the other 2. The buckets were a bit of a struggle because they sat to high on the goats. great for our walks but in that steep country they tipped over often. We are no experts but will learn a lot in the near future.