Interior Department Proposes Conservation Leasing Program

COelk89

FNG
https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/i...d-plan-guide-balanced-management-public-lands

As someone professionally involved with conservation mitigation programs in the private sector, I am not super stoked to see this as it is competition. As someone professionally involved with restoration, I am happy for the potential business opportunities. As a resident in and recreator of rural areas reliant on extractive industries and agriculture, I am concerned by the potential for environmental special interests to displace local economies. As a hunter and sportsman, I am excited by the potential infusion of money towards habitat work but concerned about the loss of hunting ground due to "conservation" leasing.

Overall, I have my doubts that this program has legs with the government in charge and political swings and court battles to come. There is a lot of challenge in ESG, restoration, verification, and getting corporate ROI to all connect.

What say you?

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/i...d-plan-guide-balanced-management-public-lands

As someone professionally involved with conservation mitigation programs in the private sector, I am not super stoked to see this as it is competition. As someone professionally involved with restoration, I am happy for the potential business opportunities. As a resident in and recreator of rural areas reliant on extractive industries and agriculture, I am concerned by the potential for environmental special interests to displace local economies. As a hunter and sportsman, I am excited by the potential infusion of money towards habitat work but concerned about the loss of hunting ground due to "conservation" leasing.

Overall, I have my doubts that this program has legs with the government in charge and political swings and court battles to come. There is a lot of challenge in ESG, restoration, verification, and getting corporate ROI to all connect.

What say you?
As an optimist, I think this could really help improve habitat on lands were a "lighter touch" is needed and gives conservation interests close footing with extractive industries so they can "put their money where their mouth is"

As a realist... I fear that BLM and others might just drag their feet long enough to realize the aforementioned swings in politics that seem likely if not inevitable.