Interesting 4/20 marketing by Simms

I never understood geezers talking down to folks who enjoy smoking. Would love a chance to hear you out, i'm sure this stance translates to alcohol directly as well?
My thoughts exactly. I can understand someone staunchly against MJ, but only if that stance is for all mind altering drugs like booze. Statistically for every single crime and accident in this country, there’s a 50% chance booze was involved. That includes domestic violence and child neglect (hell, probably even higher than 50% in those categories).

If you enjoy it, then own it - smoke and drink all you want - it doesn’t affect me. At work where it does affect me the young guys know to smoke less around me or I’ll put them on a task that requires a clear head and grind them into the ground. Other lead carpenters will hand off the recently hired guys to me who smoke too much and they quickly leave or learn to smoke after work - my preference is to just fire them.
No problem with owning it, just curious where the blanket lack of motivation and self medication came from. You're a laborer who want's to work in a safe environment, understood.

TaperPin

WKR
If I listed out the households in my circle of friends making over $250k/year, about 75% use recreationally at least a few times a week. The level of govt. propaganda you have to believe to have this stance is staggering. The city of Bethel, AK voted to get rid of their liquor store 3 years ago. It was replaced with two approved pot shops. Their average nightly emergency calls went from 31 to 3 within months.

At least in AK, it’s a large part of the river fishing culture. Locally you smell it every night in the parking lot and on the river. It would be a task to find a river guide not using. Not how I would market, especially out of a banana, but it won’t harm them a bit. I’ve seen a whole bunch of people stumbling on the river from drinking too much, never seen anyone using a fish whistle equivalent to those folks.
Pot heads don’t smoke a couple times a week. Lol
They smoke first thing in the morning, right after work and again at night chillin’, every day all year.

My thoughts exactly. I can understand someone staunchly against MJ, but only if that stance is for all mind altering drugs like booze. Statistically for every single crime and accident in this country, there’s a 50% chance booze was involved. That includes domestic violence and child neglect (hell, probably even higher than 50% in those categories).
To me it's a lack of critical thinking and exposure to other walks of life. Easy to just pick an idea and stick with it.

I saw it and just kind of shook my head...Don't care if you smoke or don't. Grew up around people that did, who didn't. My older sister and her friends got into worse stuff than weed. Didn't care for her during that time or being around her or her friends.

I just laugh at the whole 4/20 stoner holiday. And smoking weed out of a banana or apple or whatever. I guess if your targeting teenagers and college kids it makes sense. Beyond that it's like a 35 year old doing a beer bong. or getting "iced". The "identifying" as a pot smoker or drinker and that being part of your identity is just odd to me.

Someone stated up above that, to many pot is an essential part of a day of fishing...If pot, alcohol, or chew/any other stimulant is essential to your activities...you have issues imo.
Well....thats like....your opinion man.

OP

WKR
I guess looking for things to get upset about really is the new American pastime.
I'm more concerned about your inability to understand the point of the discussion than I am about any marijuana focused advertisement.

I realize you're desperately trying to throw shade but you're creating a strawman to do so.

It's a discussion forum and we discuss things... Raising a discussion does NOT indicate any amount of "upset".

At least it gives us a little variety before we inevitably return to arguing about caliber selection.

Pot heads don’t smoke a couple times a week. Lol
They smoke first thing in the morning, right after work and again at night chillin’, every day all year.
So the outliers. Same as alcoholics or someone eating fast food 3 times a day who may be just as worthless. If that’s how they want to live their life, so be it. Run em off the job if they are not performing instead of the going after everyone else’s freedom.

CorbLand

WKR
This discussion reminds me of a comment that got made once when talking with people and drinking.

There was a family that all owned a cabin together. Many of the family didnt drink but there was a couple that did. The ones that didnt suggested a rule that you cant drink at the cabin. It turned into mildly hot discussion and one of the non drinkers said "what if you get drunk and trash the place?" To which the response came "what if I am sober and trash the place?"

Many times, it is not the substance that people have an issue with. The solution is holding people responsible for their actions.

The unfortunate part of pot is that we have about 50 years of propaganda driving peoples opinion of it.

OP

WKR
I just generally eschew brands wading into stuff like this (you like that pun?). All brands should keep it on topic, IMO.

I'm wondering if this isn't a signal of the tipping point with regards to marijuana use. Statistically, it's sort of an even mix of use and the majority of people in the US think it should be legal. Focused to flyfishing, perhaps they're thinking the majority sentiment is pro marijuana, but I still don't see the benefit to Simms as a multi gazillion dollar brand, to come out with a polarizing ad.

How much of Simms market share, as the leader, will be lost by this ad? I'm sure there is "some" loss, as we see in the comments, but is there an offsetting gain?

Will more brands declare a side in the near future?

MattB

WKR
I'm more concerned about your inability to understand the point of the discussion than I am about any marijuana focused advertisement.

I realize you're desperately trying to throw shade but you're creating a strawman to do so.

It's a discussion forum and we discuss things... Raising a discussion does NOT indicate any amount of "upset".

At least it gives us a little variety before we inevitably return to arguing about caliber selection.
How about this: my opinion is there will be little to no long-term impact to the brand because the vast majority of people simply don’t care that Simms, which has long had attachments to the marijuana movement, put out an add signaling the same on 4/20.