Interesting 4/20 marketing by Simms

I don't know a single person —regardless of generation— who actually fishes in Montana who would be upset by this. What's the difference between this and Simms posting a picture of a guy drinking a Coors Lite?

Pleased to meet you.

I just generally eschew brands wading into stuff like this (you like that pun?). All brands should keep it on topic, IMO.

OP

WKR
I'm mostly surprised that an industry leader would choose to make a polarizing statement. What did they have to gain with this ad? What did they risk losing?

I never understood people that have to self medicate, but at least heavy pot smokers aren’t breaking into houses to fuel their use - they can’t get motivated to. Kids seem to think nothing bad happens if they only smoke pot - with time the pot heads they grew up with will show how it effected them over time. Life is tough - if you don’t have a clear head it’s tougher. We have a few pot heads in our family, and no surprise, they struggle keeping up with life. It’s their choice - in their echo chamber of friends it’s better to be happy than successful - “Oh, and can I borrow $100?”
guess every stoner is different

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Simms has been making that “fish whistle” weed kit case for years, it hasn’t hurt them. Fishpond makes things to hold beers around your neck while you fish and sims also makes flasks.

I’m guessing most of the hardcore anti weed folks have no problem with somebody taking a flask out on the river or pounding a few cold beers while fishing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why?

A major brand in the hunting/fishing space making a polarizing advertisement seems like something to discuss.
What is “polarizing” about somebody smoking pot while fly fishing?

You should read that book “lords of the fly”, it’s about tarpon fishing in Florida, those guys were snorting coke off hookers every night after fishing.

I never understood people that have to self medicate, but at least heavy pot smokers aren’t breaking into houses to fuel their use - they can’t get motivated to. Kids seem to think nothing bad happens if they only smoke pot - with time the pot heads they grew up with will show how it effected them over time. Life is tough - if you don’t have a clear head it’s tougher. We have a few pot heads in our family, and no surprise, they struggle keeping up with life. It’s their choice - in their echo chamber of friends it’s better to be happy than successful - “Oh, and can I borrow $100?”
I never understood geezers talking down to folks who enjoy smoking. Would love a chance to hear you out, i'm sure this stance translates to alcohol directly as well?

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Pleased to meet you.

I just generally eschew brands wading into stuff like this (you like that pun?). All brands should keep it on topic, IMO.
Love your pun, but I don't think they're wading into anything. This isn't some hot button social issue. People have been smoking on Montana rivers since monofilament came into use. Pre-legalization, I watched a game warden step over my fishing partner's bong to come check our licenses. For a lot of people in Montana, marijuana is as integral to a day on the river as cold beer. Given that it's legal in Montana, what's the actual issue with a Montana brand noting that cultural reality on 4/20, aside from the fact that some people might take issue with the iconography?

I'm mostly surprised that an industry leader would choose to make a polarizing statement. What did they have to gain with this ad? What did they risk losing?
To them this wasn't a polarizing statement, maybe thats the answer you're looking for. They will be an industry leader a year from now too. Their biggest competition is Patagonia, who as I'm sure you are well aware makes pretty "polarizing" statements as well.

Edit: Orvis never seems to say anything, people can go there for second rate waders.

MThuntr

WKR

I think as marijuana becomes more socially acceptable, Simms is targeting the younger fisherman that will relate to it and there are a lot of people, like me, that are indifferent to it that aren't really bothered by the ad (honestly Simms gear and recreational weed are too expensive for me).

The very few that are truly upset and willing to abandon their Simms gear will take their business elsewhere but I doubt they even saw the ad because it's only on Instagram.

ODB

WKR
Simms has been making that “fish whistle” weed kit case for years, it hasn’t hurt them. Fishpond makes things to hold beers around your neck while you fish and sims also makes flasks.

I’m guessing most of the hardcore anti weed folks have no problem with somebody taking a flask out on the river or pounding a few cold beers while fishing.

You’d be wrong about that.

I love the rush to alcohol when defending the highest THC, most frontal lobe stunting, schizophrenia -inducing, and yes, addictive pot that has ever existed.

The world need more awareness and acuteness, not more rounded edges

OP

WKR
What is “polarizing” about somebody smoking pot while fly fishing?

You should read that book “lords of the fly”, it’s about tarpon fishing in Florida, those guys were snorting coke off hookers every night after fishing.
Recreational use of marijuana is legal in less than 1/2 of US states, 50.3% of Americans report that they have never used marijuana. Sentiment is shifting in favor of legalization, but to ignore that there's still a cultural stigma around marijuana, not to mention is federal legal status, seems intentionally obtuse.

Marijuana isn't the point of the post, though. It's about a leading company taking a *somewhat* controversial position on a topic and what they had to gain/lose in the process.

Will it gain them brand reputation or customers more than it loses brand reputation/customers?

Marketing is an interesting topic.

ODB

WKR
Recreational use of marijuana is legal in less than 1/2 of US states, 50.3% of Americans report that they have never used marijuana. Sentiment is shifting in favor of legalization, but to ignore that there's still a cultural stigma around marijuana, not to mention is federal legal status, seems intentionally obtuse.

Marijuana isn't the point of the post, though. It's about a leading company taking a *somewhat* controversial position on a topic and what they had to gain/lose in the process.

Will it gain them brand reputation or customers more than it loses brand reputation/customers?

Marketing is an interesting topic.

There is a pic of Ben O’Brien (I think it’s him) smoking weed out of a Turkey foot in the new Turkey book from Jesse what’s his name.

It’s a strange fetish…

If I listed out the households in my circle of friends making over $250k/year, about 75% use recreationally at least a few times a week. The level of govt. propaganda you have to believe to have this stance is staggering. The city of Bethel, AK voted to get rid of their liquor store 3 years ago. It was replaced with two approved pot shops. Their average nightly emergency calls went from 31 to 3 within months.

At least in AK, it’s a large part of the river fishing culture. Locally you smell it every night in the parking lot and on the river. It would be a task to find a river guide not using. Not how I would market, especially out of a banana, but it won’t harm them a bit. I’ve seen a whole bunch of people stumbling on the river from drinking too much, never seen anyone using a fish whistle equivalent to those folks.

I'm quite certain their marketing people are much more intelligent than that.
I would guarantee you they saw no issue with it and will continue to see no issue. Like many have already said they have been marketing a pouch for your stash for years. Idk how into fly fishing you are, but demographics are shifting rapidly, and they seem to be leaning into it.

WCB

WKR
I saw it and just kind of shook my head...Don't care if you smoke or don't. Grew up around people that did, who didn't. My older sister and her friends got into worse stuff than weed. Didn't care for her during that time or being around her or her friends.

I just laugh at the whole 4/20 stoner holiday. And smoking weed out of a banana or apple or whatever. I guess if your targeting teenagers and college kids it makes sense. Beyond that it's like a 35 year old doing a beer bong. or getting "iced". The "identifying" as a pot smoker or drinker and that being part of your identity is just odd to me.

Someone stated up above that, to many pot is an essential part of a day of fishing...If pot, alcohol, or chew/any other stimulant is essential to your activities...you have issues imo.

TaperPin

WKR
guess every stoner is different
I never understood geezers talking down to folks who enjoy smoking. Would love a chance to hear you out, i'm sure this stance translates to alcohol directly as well?
If you enjoy it, then own it - smoke and drink all you want - it doesn’t affect me. At work where it does affect me the young guys know to smoke less around me or I’ll put them on a task that requires a clear head and grind them into the ground. Other lead carpenters will hand off the recently hired guys to me who smoke too much and they quickly leave or learn to smoke after work - my preference is to just fire them.