Interesting 4/20 marketing by Simms

WKR
On 4/20 Simms came out with an Instagram ad featuring a person smoking marijuana out of a banana. It was certainly a clear statement of alignment of Simms with marijuana culture.

Lots of comments and interraction with the post. Some were disappointed that Simms would align themselves with pot, while others made all sorts of claims about "better than alcohol" or "get with the times".

There's no doubt it stimulated lots of buzz, pardon the pun. Wondering if there will be any effects long term for the popular fishing/flyfishing brand out of Bozeman.

Thoughts?

MThuntr

WKR
1) it's 2024 and basically legal/decriminalized in many states including Montana where their HQ is
2) many of their customers and fish guides smoke ( big majority of them even conservative ones)
3) it's an ad calm down. there are much worse things to be triggered by

OP

WKR
1) it's 2024 and basically legal/decriminalized in many states
2) many of their customers and fish guides smoke ( big majority of them even conservative ones)
3) it's an ad calm down
What gives you the impression that I'm not calm?

It's a discussion, you know, on a discussion forum. It's sort of what we do here...

Kid Rock uncanceled them

Tell that to their sales numbers. They're still down like 30% and it's going to get worse before it ever gets better.

Speaking of fly fishing...last summer my boy and I stopped into a small town bar to eat lunch and wait out a thunderstorm, I commented to the waitress that I was surprised they're still stocking Bud Light, and she said if the other companies could ramp up production they wouldn't sell a single bottle.

MThuntr

WKR
Tell that to their sales numbers. They're still down like 30% and it's going to get worse before it ever gets better.

Speaking of fly fishing...last summer my boy and I stopped into a small town bar to eat lunch and wait out a thunderstorm, I commented to the waitress that I was surprised they're still stocking Bud Light, and she said if the other companies could ramp up production they wouldn't sell a single bottle.
Not defending them or supporting them (I think Bud Light is yellow swill that high schoolers and frat boys drink) just saying the leader of the Bud Light cancel culture "uncanceled" them. What happens after that is up to the blue can drinkers

What gives you the impression that I'm not calm?

It's a discussion, you know, on a discussion forum. It's sort of what we do here...
You brought it up. Seems only reason to do that was you were upset by it and looking for an echo chamber

OP

WKR
My only thought is that I am mildly surprised someone found this thread-worthy.
Why?

A major brand in the hunting/fishing space making a polarizing advertisement seems like something to discuss.

I'm not a fan of pot, don't use it and don't typically care to be around people that do (edit: but I think it should be legal). But there's a whole lot worse things to be worried about and personally I find the image of somebody smoking a banana somewhat hilarious so I have no problem with it. Now if Simms were funding people to go pass out joints at kindergarten story time and teach kids how to light them up I may change my opinion, but I doubt we ever get there. I can't afford their waders anyway lol.

TaperPin

WKR
I never understood people that have to self medicate, but at least heavy pot smokers aren’t breaking into houses to fuel their use - they can’t get motivated to. Kids seem to think nothing bad happens if they only smoke pot - with time the pot heads they grew up with will show how it effected them over time. Life is tough - if you don’t have a clear head it’s tougher. We have a few pot heads in our family, and no surprise, they struggle keeping up with life. It’s their choice - in their echo chamber of friends it’s better to be happy than successful - “Oh, and can I borrow $100?”