Insulated Dog House

Voyageur

WKR
I'm needing to replace an outdoor dog house. Need something that will provide protection in sub-zero and often times windy weather.
Right now I'm looking at The Cube Dog House from K9 Kennels and the LCS Knockdown Dog Box.
Anyone have experience with either of these?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
A company called deer creek use to make very similar dog houses as those you have pictures of. They got bought out by QC supply. They will custom make them to your dimensions if needed. I have 6 of them and I live up North in NY near Canada.(gets cold) If they are going to be outside completely in sub zero, then I recommend getting the boxes off the ground like 8”-10” “pallet or two” , bedding heavy with wheat straw, and using the interior box divider with flaps. Also, I would line the inside of the boxes with the plastic liner that is sold or plywood. You can also purchase a hound heater box unit if that is a concern of yours. I have never run a heater and my hounds stay very warm (noses and ears are very warm at sub zero)

I live in the south but am a dog trainer, have traveled all over the country on kennel related business. This fall in Pembina North Dakota I dropped a dog off to an outfitter who had the LCS Knockdown, they had nothing but good things to say about them.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Just an FYI to others who might look to this thread for info.....
In following up on the QC Supply reference from @PorterNY I was told by the customer service rep who answered the phone that they no longer (as in just the past couple months) manufacture or sell their dog houses. I asked if someone had purchased the line and they said no.
Too bad as it looked to be a good option.

I had a couple of cubes, you can kind of tell from the drifts where they are. Dogs were good. I got tired of mornings like this so I sold the house last summer and moved off the mountain. Gave the dog houses to the new people. Dogs are Gsp

Attachments

• 977DE992-5E6B-405A-9105-20AF38BC3DC3.jpeg
    977DE992-5E6B-405A-9105-20AF38BC3DC3.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 54

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
I built my own out of 2x4s and insulated it. Took me a couple hours and made it the size it needed to be. All scrap I had laying around the house. Smaller the better. I have a temp monitor in it and it's warmer than my house when it's -30 or more, usually in the 60s inside. I have Airedales and they like the cold more than your typical mutt.

I built my own out of 3/4 plywood (treated) and insulated it myself using the foam board insulation. If you want I can grab pics etc when I get home. Biggest thing is keeping them out if the wind, any design with a "hallway" where a dog has to walk into and then turn to get to the actual sleeping quarters will help.
Mine are built similar to this, I just used studs and another sheet of plywood to sandwich the insulation board. I did the walls, roof, and floor, and use straw, dogs stay nice and warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. I added hingers to the lid for easy cleaning. Keep in mind the bigger you make it, the long it takes to heat up, and use good, dry fresh bedding and you will be fine. When I first started, I used 55 gallon barrels with no issues as well down to single digits

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Greatly appreciate the information everyone has shared. Thank you.

Chromeslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Built my own as well.. either foam board or insulation in the walls.. also installed a Hound Heater Deluxe heater in each house.. most important is keeping the wind off them... either some sort of door flap or windblocker