insect clothing for hot and humid places

tuffcity

WKR
Looking for suggestions on clothing to keep mosquitos, etc at bay while in hot and humid places. Going to Malaysia, Bali, and Thailand at the end of May and half of June.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’d like to hear about your trip, I’m headed for Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam in January.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'd start with a headnet.
Down here on the Gulf Coast we get these
danged gnats that fly around your face.
Will drive you absolutely insane.

djewell87

FNG
I treat my clothes with permethrin and use a thermacell. I haven't found any clothing that actually works, a mesh suite could work if you wanted to wear that. I have had good luck with the permethrin and thermacell, but if you aren't worried about animals smelling you then regular insect repellent would work. Also if you do buy permethrin, buy it online or at a feed store and it will be much cheaper and dilute as needed. The products that they sell for treating clothing and gear are much much more expensive because they are already diluted.

2531usmc

WKR
Thailand is spectacular! You will enjoy your time there. But whenever I was there, it was a military deployment and they pit all of us on a daily malaria pill. Forget what it was, but it was some type of antibiotic

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I tried out a Sitka equinox hoodie at TAC last weekend. It has their insect shield built into the clothing. I can’t personally attest to anything other than it felt good to wear but the guy at the Sitka tent swore it works from his personal experience. He also works for Sitka though so I’m sure there’s a bit of bias in there. Felt almost identical to a kuiu gila hoodie

You can send in clothes to be treated or you can buy clothes already treated.

schmalzy

WKR
I used permethrin with great success. Also sprayed some 100% deet on the OUTSIDE of my hat and it seemed to work great. Very buggy area where everyone else was wearing nets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk