Inputs on Clothing Upgrades

Gorp2007

WKR
My current hunting clothing centers around the finest low-bid clothing items that the United States government can find, almost all in Multi-Cam. I'm looking to upgrade several pieces, but I wanted some inputs and advice. Here's my current set-up
- Smartwool 230 quarter-zip shirt
- Polar Max cheap polyester tights
- REI Expedition Wool Socks
- REI Merino Wool Liner Socks
- Quarter-zip Polartec Light Fleece
- Multicam BDU-style pants (issued)
- Cheap Columbia Synth Puffy Jacket (neither all that puffy, nor all that warm)
- Massif Elements Softshell Jacket
- Massif Elements Softshell Pants
- Lightweight Multicam Rain Jacket
- Goretex Rain Pants
- Cabela's Knit Blaze Orange Beanie

Planned/Hoped-For Upgrades (In Prioritized Order):
- Insulation Layer: Trying to decide between a First Lite Uncompaghre, Kuiu Super Down w/ Hood, or Sierra Designs Elite Dry Down Hooded jacket. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I could get the Unc and drop the softshell, or go with the lighter down options and trust in the rain gear to do it's job.
- Pants: These things have got to go, and I'm looking to upgrade to a pair of First Lite Corrugates. Not sure what size, though. I'm a 33x32 in Levi's and Pranas.
- Lower Base Layer: Looking to get the Minus33 230-weight pants
- Beanie: Upgrade to the First Lite Merino beanie with the fancy bill. The Cabela's beanie makes my forehead itch and drives me insane.

Really, I'm looking for feedback on my current upgrade plans, either options I haven't considered or other upgrades that I should be making instead of what I have listed above. Planned uses include South Dakota antelope, deer (whitetail adn mule if I get lucky with tag draws), and the biggest driving factor is an October elk hunt in the Flat Tops Wilderness Area next year. The elk hunt will be a drop hunt (horses drop us off and pick us up), so I don't need things to be ultralight, but in the future I'd like to get into more unsupported backcountry hunting and I'd like any upgrades to support that goal.

-Gorp

Last edited:
I just sold all my shit and bought Skre gear. Ill be out for some yotes in it soon and give you my take on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're on the money with the purposed upgrades.

Puffy - I dont have any that you listed, but all should be good. I use an Arcteryx Atom LT in brown and I love it. It's only 60g of insulation though, I think the pieces you listed are 100g so they should be warmer. Honestly you might watch eBay, Sierra Trading Post and the classifieds here. Easy to find a good deal on a 100g puffy

Pants - Corrugates are great. I wear about the same size pants as you (just taller inseam) and got the medium/longs. You should be ok with the mediums.

Lower base - I use a cheap old pair of REI merino bottoms or some Under Armor cold weather gear. Both are great depending on temp

Beanie - I've got the First Lite cuff beanie and love it. Considered getting the bill one, but just havent done it yet.