Input on Sitka jacket/hoody combo

Looking for some input on a Sitka jacket and hoody combo.

I am trying to decide between a mountain jacket/Traverse hoody combo or a Jetstream/Heavyweight hoody combo.

Which of these two combos do you think is the most versatile? Either combo will be worn over a core lightweight top.

Main use is deer and elk hunting in October in Idaho. My hunting style is mainly day hunts out of a base camp.

I like that the Traverse hoody is built tough and has DWR. Adding the mountain jacket would be for times I need wind protection. My concern with the Traverse is that it will be too warm when hiking around. The HW hoody might be better (not as warm) and therefore a bit more versatile? My concern with the HW hoody is that it’s not as versatile as a stand alone outer layer when it’s not cold enough for a jacket. The lack of DWR on the HW as well as maybe being less than ideal for walking through brush that might tear it up.

What are all your thoughts?

Jetstream for sure. I find myself picking the Apex over the HW hoody, I dont notice all that much difference in warmth and the apex is to me just more comfortable, doesnt pill as much, has a dump pocket on front and the outer sleeve material is a bit more durable. But the HW hoody would do the job.

Id add ambient hoody, but youd have to ditch it in brush or youll be captive for quite a while.

HNTR918

WKR
Core Lightweight Hoody -> Ambient Hoody/Heavyweight Hoody -> (If Cold or Long Glassing Sessions then add the Kelvin Down Jacket) -> Dew Point Jacket/Rain Layer

Once I got my layers dialed, my Jetstream became an everyday jacket only.

OP
R
Jetstream for sure. I find myself picking the Apex over the HW hoody, I dont notice all that much difference in warmth and the apex is to me just more comfortable, doesnt pill as much, has a dump pocket on front and the outer sleeve material is a bit more durable. But the HW hoody would do the job.

Id add ambient hoody, but youd have to ditch it in brush or youll be captive for quite a while.
Thanks, I hadn’t really considered the Apex hoody. That might be just the ticket.

Anyone have a good argument for the HW hoody instead of the Apex?

Trial153

WKR
Thanks, I hadn’t really considered the Apex hoody. That might be just the ticket.

Anyone have a good argument for the HW hoody instead of the Apex?

I have apex hoody on right now. Sitting in a bear stand. 58 degrees and core light weight under it. I am not especially warm and I run very hot.
Except for the first two weeks of September or a late August mule deer hunt my apex doesn’t see much use.

I would do the heavyweight hoody or the fanatic hood if you can deal with the mitts

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Based on your either or question: Jetstream and Heavy Weight Hoodie.

I have the older Cold Weather hoodie and it is slightly thicker than the new Traverse. I think you will be too hot walking with the Traverse on, especially with a pack. The Traverse will do you much better service in later seasons. I have a couple Heavy Weight hoodies and love them. I wear them daily around the house because, well, menopausal wife and the house is 66 to 68 degrees regardless of day or month! Out in the yard or hunting, they're great over a light-weight T. They layer well also. I have a Fanatic Hoodie which I honestly prefer over them all and wear about 90% of the time whitetail hunting if it's under 75 degrees. The Fanatic hoodie is going to be warmer than the H.W., longer sleeves and the folding mitts, which don't bug me too much. It will layer well under the Jetstream.

You are in a mix-match scenario but for anything above 45 degrees I would do:
light weight LS base, HW hoodie, Jetstream, pack the Dewpoint. Colder, you could get into the Ambient hoodie instead of or layered over the HW. I would lean toward this: lightweight base LS Tee, HW hoodie, Jetstream. Ambient in the pack and alternate that as needed if you can strap the Jetstream on to the pack while hiking.

WoodBow

WKR
The traverse is a stationary only piece IMO. It is a pretty bulk piece as well for packing. It is a stiffer fleece (designed so the insulation does not compress when worn). It will have zero wind protection.

The heavyweight hoody is a super versatile piece. Probably my favorite piece they make.

I'm not sure how I feel about the jetstream. It is a nice looking piece and 100% windproof. Pretty quiet. But it is super expensive, pretty heavy, and really has no insulation value. Most of what it offers can be accomplished with a rain jacket. I just can't see myself packing it into the mountains.

My recommendation for people is always thin base layer of your choosing, core heavyweight hoody (this thing is only heavyweight when thought of as a base layer), and a puffy. You can get some serious mileage out of that set up.

TravisIN

WKR
Jetstream and heavy weight all the way. I think the traverse hoody’s are good for wearing to your kid’s basketball game or to family thanksgiving. It’s comfortable and well made but extremely limited in hunting applications. The heavyweight hoody is lighter, less bulky, warmer and blocks wind better than the traverse. The jetstream is a workhorse and the two combined will cover you for a wide range of weather conditions. The only reason I have a traverse is bc I saw a black one for sale for $60 bucks. And I wear it in the type of situations mentioned above haha.

All that being said the ambient hoody may be the best piece Sitka has ever made. I love that thing to death. It’s crazy, the thing like somehow regulates your temperature or something. I’m never hot in it or cold in it. I wear it running, hunting, to dinner, everywhere. Absolutely my favorite piece of Sitka and have a stupid amount of Sitka stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have the core LW hoody as a base, the apex hoody and the sleeveless active hoody and the jetstream jacket.

Is the HW hoody better than the apex? Is the ambient worth upgrading over the active hoody?

Takman

FNG
I am using the Jetstream with either the Kelvin Lite, Heavyweight hoodie or lightweight hoodie depending on season and type hunt. I have really like the versatility of the Jetstream.

1) Core Lt Wt hoody
2) Core Merino 1/4 zip(if needed)
3) Hvy Wt Hoody
4) Jetstream Vest
5) Kelvin Down WS Hoody
6) Cloudburst Jacket(rain/wind)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the Mountain jacket EXCEPT it lacks a hood, which for me doesn't make sense as an outer layer (for wind/light precip). The Jetstream has the hood, but is twice the weight- which isn't needed imho.

Add a hood to the Mountain jacket and you have winner, winner- chicken dinner :D

The new Evo has potential, same fabric as the Mountain and has a hood, but the back mapping may be a godsend or may be a mistake- I don't know.

The midlayer choice between the Core Heavyweight or the Ambient I think boils down to a couple of things, budget being one- significant cost difference. The Heavyweight is going to be quieter if you're an archery hunter and I'd be more apt to use the Heavyweight in thicker timber- as less likely to get a tear/rip and less concerned its it did.

The Ambient however will outperform the Heavyweight in moving moisture and be slightly warmer too.

I like the Mountain jacket EXCEPT it lacks a hood, which for me doesn't make sense as an outer layer (for wind/light precip). The Jetstream has the hood, but is twice the weight- which isn't needed imho.

Add a hood to the Mountain jacket and you have winner, winner- chicken dinner :D

The new Evo has potential, same fabric as the Mountain and has a hood, but the back mapping may be a godsend or may be a mistake- I don't know.

The midlayer choice between the Core Heavyweight or the Ambient I think boils down to a couple of things, budget being one- significant cost difference. The Heavyweight is going to be quieter if you're an archery hunter and I'd be more apt to use the Heavyweight in thicker timber- as less likely to get a tear/rip and less concerned its it did.

The Ambient however will outperform the Heavyweight in moving moisture and be slightly warmer too.

I prefer my hw hoody over the apex part of it might be the fit I’m not sure but I lived in my heavy weight last year and the apex almost always got left behind. I did wear the apex a lot on a pronghorn hunt the year before tho the elbow pads were nice for the crawling on that hunt

Blaze2020

FNG
I hunted with the traverse hoody and mountain jacket for a season, but switched to the jetstream and have been much happier.

Rd7fox

FNG
I finally bit the bullet and got the Jetstream. I'm a day hunter (no overnight camping) so I can switch inner and insulation layers more easily on a daily basis. The one constant is the Jetstream.

I liked the versatility of my older Jetstream so well that I bought the new version this year. I like the new fit better- - the most noticeable change is the sleeves have more room for layering, the torso also has a little more room and it's slightly quieter.
Both are so effective cutting wind off that I get by with one less layer than my other outer wear jackets.

I can see where a backpacker might not go with the jetstream. But then again, you might get by with one less base layer with the Jetstream so some bulk and weight would be a tradeoff. For most other guys, the Jetstream is a great piece.

It fits well with one or two baselayers and an packable insulation layer. I prefer one baselayer and a Celsius Midi under the newer Jetstream for most of Sept/early October. (A Celsius Midi type insulation layer under the older jetstream was too restrictive for my preference. ) The ambient hoody may be the new best choice now since the Celsius Midi is discontinued.

For early September, just one or two baselayers is the ticket.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in a similar boat as I already own a Jetstream and a core lightweight hoody, both of which I love. I tried a Down Lite Jacket but it didn’t work well with the Jetstream. I think I’ve settled on the Ambient jacket as a midlayer that could be used with or without the other pieces for a well rounded system. I’d suggest you think about the Ambient/Jetstream combo as well.