Input on 4 fletch vane options

Hey guys, my apologies if this has been discussed before and I just missed the thread.

I've been shooting 4 fletch for years, first with AAE Max Stealths and then with Q2i Fusion-X IIs. I'm switching to 3 fletch DCA Mini Sabres but a buddy of mine has been wanting to try something in 4 fletch. I had really good luck with the Q2i's in 4 fletch, but got some TAC Driver 2.75s for him. After doing some research it looks like most guys are saying the Drivers do best in a 3 fletch.

Does anyone have some recommendations for vanes that perform well in a 4 fletch configuration? Thanks in advance!

Wheels

WKR
I use TAC driver vanes in a 4 fletch configuration and have had very good luck with them. Only complaints I have heard of is getting them to stick when glueing but have not had any come off on mine.

Reactions: Zac
i have a mix of 3 fletch aae max stealth and 4 fletch tac drivers - POI is identical out to 100 yards for identical arrow weights

BKM

FNG
Fixed heads plus low profile vanes I 4 fletch.

Higher profile vane or mechanical I 3 fletch

Bump79

WKR
I tested about 10 different combos of 4 fletch against a few 3 fletch. Test was taking my rest 50 clicks left and seeing which would steer a Tooth of the Arrow XL unvented broadhead at 294 fps closest to field point. Distance was 15 yards in my shop. In my mind this was going to be testing somewhat at the extremes as this broadhead has a lot of surface area, good speed & way out of tune.

With my shot ability and a lot of shots to average them out, there was no real discernable difference. I really expected to see a massive difference with it so far out - but there wasn't. This jives with my previous experience testing 3 and 4 fletch. Just get enough vane on it and you're splitting hairs from there. >2" and .5" high for 3 fletch and >=2" & >.4" for 4 fletch.

Some vanes are quieter and some are more durable. Some strike a balance. But I've still got these arrows fletched up and have been shooting with broadheads at distance with no discernable difference.

With that... I just rock a 3 fletch because it's less vane to put on, you're less likely to damage them when group shooting and is generally quieter. My preference is a vane I don't have to screw around with. The most durable so far for me is a Easton Diamond 280. They happen to be half the cost as most too. Q2i are tough as they're thick but stick great. AAE vanes steer great and have cool features. I don't have patience for the vanes that take a lot of prep and seem like even if you do some are impossible to get off and some fall off.

That said - I'm an AAE & Q2i dealer. Hit me up if you need anything.

I've been using 4 Bohning Heat vanes on my hunting arrows for several years. They seem to steer my 150 gr Cutthroat broadheads just fine.

TAC Drivers come in a variety of length and height configurations. The 2.75" long version is 0.475" tall, which is slightly longer and taller than a Bohning Heat vane. If that's the vane your buddy wants to try, fletch up a few test arrows with 3 and 4 vanes and see if one configuration groups better than the other with broadheads. If there's no discernable difference, I would go with fewer vanes to save a little time and money.

Zac

WKR
I don't know where you heard that, 4 fletch will work just fine with that vane. I wouldn't even waste your time trying both configurations. If he wants 4 fletch, just fletch them up.

Those are the two worst vanes I've ever tried to get to stick. Some stick and won't come off, others come off in flight. And I'm anal about prepping, even with no prep vanes. I buff the shaft with a scotch brite pad, clean it with alcohol, prime every single vane, and use the best glue I can find unless the vane manufacturer recommends one, and then I use it.

I now use the same Q2i you mentioned. I used to always four fletch but these vanes in a three are steering a good size fixed head great with a strong helical.

If he wants four fletch, I would definitely recommend staying with that Q2i or something from Bohning. They never give me issues adhering.

Baller

FNG
The DCA mini in 4 fletch work well as do the AAE Air Razr Pro. 6 grains each versus 4. Depends on your arrow weight and if you are worried about keeping your foc. Both will get the job down well.

Zac

WKR
People that have issues with Tac always talk about meticulous prep when it has nothing to do with that. Tac is very particular to jig configuration. Most people that use them have to adjust their jig that has been in a certain position for years. I’m not saying it’s worth the trouble. However once you find the sweet spot they stick as good or better than anything else. This is a long watch, however if you like Tac, or want to try them it is really good info.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I like blazers x2 vanes, 3 or 4 doesn’t matter for me, however I would not shoot a fixed head with 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk