Injured in the backcountry

I am currently lying in bed several hours post surgery. I am zonked on hydrocodone but unable to sleep, I've got an immobilizing brace on my left leg which has made falling asleep a seemingly laughable proposition. I don't know exactly why I intend on summarizing what happened to me here on rokslide, but I believe it'll help me close the door on the injury and motivate me to attack my rehabilitation. And, if somewhere down the line my story can help someone else, great.

If you couldn't tell by my username I am a huge fan of difficult hunts. I'm a bow only guy and the more difficult the terrain and the animal, the better. I am a fairly experienced ultrarunner and a life long gym rat. Some may call me a glutton for punishment, or perhaps a masochist. Back in May I was so stoked to have drawn an archery ibex tag for the Florida Mountains of New Mexico.

As October was approaching the excitement was growing, my hunting partner Steven was meeting me out there and we intended on giving er hell for at least a week to try and put one of these elusive goats on the ground. Considering that Steven and I hunt deer in Southern California, the fact of low population numbers, heat, and rattlesnakes didn't bother us one bit. We are used to chasing ghosts and our hometown hunt is the most overgrown, dry, snake infested country I've ever been.

We spent the first few days trying to understand the animal and the country, neither of us had any experience with ibex and had never been to the Florida's. It was the 4th day of the hunt that we got our first real opportunity.
IMG_20241021_225642.jpg
I was unable to get above this goat given his location but I was able to get below him, about 90 yards. He ended up winding me and taking off, never offering a chance at a shot. But confidence was growing.

The following morning I hiked up to the top of mountain with 3 gallons of water and my camp. The goal was to start at the top and hopefully get lucky. Steven found the biggest ibex we had seen thus far on that day. He was tucked into a cave on a cliff face that seemed impossible to get to.
IMG_20241021_225656.jpg

We waited all day to see if he would move and he literally sat in the cave for 12 hours. The next morning, October 6th, there was about 15 ibex feeding on the mountain about 600 feet below me. Steven and I were in communication and as I peaked over the edge of the cliff, they saw me. They began to move up the mountain and to my right. I knew exactly where they were headed so I busted my ass over there hoping to intercept them. My plan nearly worked, I was able to get to 88 yards from a billy but as I drew back he took off. It was really exciting, but I was feeling dejected knowing that Steven had to leave the following day, I thought that that may have been our last chance.

Not long after, Steven called me to tell me that the big billy was not with the group and was actually back in the same cave from the day before! Unbelievable! We were set on figuring out a way to get as close as possible. I was walking heavy-footed down hill on some loose gravely type of terrain when my left foot slipped out, my knee hyperextended and I felt a pop. The pain was really intense and I hit the ground hard and immediately knew that I was in trouble. I've never had a serious knee injury but I knew that I had just ruptured my patellar tendon.

I called Steven and told him he better start hiking up with an empty pack. It's hard to even explain the roller coaster of emotions that I was going through in that moment. Would I have to hit the SOS button? How the **** am I going to get off of this mountain? I nearly passed out from the shock and the pain, I did some very deep, heavy breathing that I think kept me conscious. Despite the warm weather I got really cold and sweaty to the point where I had to put on my windbreaker (the only layer I had considering the hot temps) and wrap myself in my tarp. I'm not going to lie, that was a tough 2 hours sitting there waiting for Steven. I shed some tears, talked to Jesus, and had a pretty emotional phone call with my girl.

Steven showed up. It was about 10 am now. My leg was completely useless, I couldn't bend my knee at all, but fortunately I could put weight on the leg and the pain was manageable, but only if I kept the leg completely straight. The slightest bit of bend in the knee was 10/10 pain. Steven brought up some gorilla tape with him which ended up being clutch. We taped the knee in a straight position and I was determined to get off that mountain on my own 2 feet.
fc760566-31e3-4cac-9248-5daefd43e4db.jpg

The route down was awful. It was only 2 miles but it was down 2,000 feet, all off trail and loose as hell. I had to move so slow and given the situation, I actually had to step with my bad leg downhill, anchor my poles and essentially do a pistol squat with my good leg. Rinse and repeat. It took us 8 hours to get back to the truck. What a slog. Steven carried all of my stuff, my camp, my bow, he even strapped my pack to his. I still get emotional thinking about the gratitude I felt that day. He didn't save my life but he sure made a shitty situation much more manageable for me.

To put salt in the wound, the next day I had to drive 14 hours back to southern California. The driving wasn't too bad considering I was able to scoot my seat back and keep my left leg straight. It was getting out to get gas that sucked the most. Well I made it back, saw my doctor, did the mri and eventually consulted with an orthopedic surgeon and he confirmed my suspicion. Ruptured patellar tendon, one of the worst sports injuries there is.

Like I said, surgery was today and the rehab begins asap. I'm looking at 12-18 months for a full recovery, but I should be good to hunt next fall. Everything is a blessing with the right perspective 🙏.

Thanks for reading and if I can give any advice it would be find yourself a hunting partner like Steven.

Last edited:

TXCO

WKR
Wow that sucks man. Sorry to hear that and good luck in surgery and rehab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yooper

WKR
Good reminder that anything can happen out there and be prepared for the worst. Sorry about your situation but if nothing else it sounds like you're more than capable of a full recovery. Hang in there!

Backyard

WKR
Same thing happened to me while solo elk hunting one year. But I had no idea what had just happened to leave me in a pile at bottom of a blowdown that I had just stepped off. Was a mile from my camp one direction and 2 from the truck. Made it to my camp, with my leg hyperextending twice on the way there. Had phone service and had my BIL come hike in to get me as he lives a few hrs away. He hiked in with a brace for me. Then packed out my camp for me. Like you, I had a 15 hr solo drive home with gas and pee breaks being the worst.
Ended up getting a cadaver tendon with about a 6-8 month recovery.

OP
type2bowhunter
Same thing happened to me while solo elk hunting one year. But I had no idea what had just happened to leave me in a pile at bottom of a blowdown that I had just stepped off. Was a mile from my camp one direction and 2 from the truck. Made it to my camp, with my leg hyperextending twice on the way there. Had phone service and had my BIL come hike in to get me as he lives a few hrs away. He hiked in with a brace for me. Then packed out my camp for me. Like you, I had a 15 hr solo drive home with gas and pee breaks being the worst.
Ended up getting a cadaver tendon with about a 6-8 month recovery.

Nice to hear you had a relatively quick recovery for this injury. Hopefully I can get ahead of schedule too. How's the knee now and how long has it been?

Wow! That’s a rough mountain to be on with an injury like that. I took a pretty good spill last time I was there sliding down loose rock towards a 200 foot drop off. That scared the snot out of me. I’ve hunted there 4 times and it never gets any easier. Good luck on your rehab.

Loper

WKR
That’s sucks! Sounds like a really terrible and painful injury. Probably could have been a whole lot worse if it weren’t for your buddy. You seem like the type that will bounce back (relatively) quickly as you’ll be committed to the rehab. Best wishes and hope you get out there in Fall 2025.

Backyard

WKR
Nice to hear you had a relatively quick recovery for this injury. Hopefully I can get ahead of schedule too. How's the knee now and how long has it been?

That knee has had multiple surgeries and treatments before and after. FWIW I firmly believe that prior cortizone injections around that ligament was the cause of the rupture. Of course, the Dr wont agree.
Anyway I developed a spot of osteonecrosis on one side of the joint (can’t remember which anymore), and subsequently ended up getting a TKR. Im 3 1/2 years into my new knee with no problems.
It’s been a journey.

Good luck in your recovery!

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Man, that's a tough one. At 6'6" I wouldn't have been able to drive home.....wouldn't be able to get the seat back far enough with a straight leg. I blew my patellar tendon out in a basketball game back in the late 80's. I can't remember for sure how long I wore that immobilizer, but it was awhile. I got upgraded to first class on a flight because it was the only seat I could fit in with my leg out straight. It's amazing how quickly your leg will atrophy. Full recovery will take awhile, and I lost maybe 25% of pre-injury capabilities, like jumping height, etc. But overall it's been pretty functional the last 30+ years, and my elk hunting has been fine as far as the tendon goes. My bone-on-bone knees are a different story. Good luck with the recovery, hopefully you had a good surgeon.

Thanks for sharing. I hear that country is brutal on two good legs. You must be a beast to get down from the Floridas on one.

Good luck on the recovery and congrats on finding a friend like Steven. They’re more elusive than 200-inch whitetail.

Jmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Did some work out around Deming a few years back and that's rough country.
Best wishes on surgery and rehab, but you sound like the kind of guy that will face it head on and be back out there in a while. Good luck

Luked

WKR
Dang man. Hope you get better. My knees have been decent but I can tell I have an issue coming with one.
My wife on the other hand has had 3 different knee surgeries. helping her through hers i know its tough.
The fear of getting hurt hunting Solo is one that my wife has. She is not thrilled to know that I am planning a hunt for next year Solo as I have no one to go with. But I always have lived with the "you only live once" thing.
I think as hunters we are just sometimes too stubborn to quit.

Rotnguns

WKR
I am currently lying in bed several hours post surgery. I am zonked on hydrocodone but unable to sleep, I've got an immobilizing brace on my left leg which has made falling asleep a seemingly laughable proposition. I don't know exactly why I intend on summarizing what happened to me here on rokslide, but I believe it'll help me close the door on the injury and motivate me to attack my rehabilitation. And, if somewhere down the line my story can help someone else, great.

If you couldn't tell by my username I am a huge fan of difficult hunts. I'm a bow only guy and the more difficult the terrain and the animal, the better. I am a fairly experienced ultrarunner and a life long gym rat. Some may call me a glutton for punishment, or perhaps a masochist. Back in May I was so stoked to have drawn an archery ibex tag for the Florida Mountains of New Mexico.

As October was approaching the excitement was growing, my hunting partner Steven was meeting me out there and we intended on giving er hell for at least a week to try and put one of these elusive goats on the ground. Considering that Steven and I hunt deer in Southern California, the fact of low population numbers, heat, and rattlesnakes didn't bother us one bit. We are used to chasing ghosts and our hometown hunt is the most overgrown, dry, snake infested country I've ever been.

We spent the first few days trying to understand the animal and the country, neither of us had any experience with ibex and had never been to the Florida's. It was the 4th day of the hunt that we got our first real opportunity.
View attachment 780182
I was unable to get above this goat given his location but I was able to get below him, about 90 yards. He ended up winding me and taking off, never offering a chance at a shot. But confidence was growing.

The following morning I hiked up to the top of mountain with 3 gallons of water and my camp. The goal was to start at the top and hopefully get lucky. Steven found the biggest ibex we had seen thus far on that day. He was tucked into a cave on a cliff face that seemed impossible to get to.
View attachment 780183

We waited all day to see if he would move and he literally sat in the cave for 12 hours. The next morning, October 6th, there was about 15 ibex feeding on the mountain about 600 feet below me. Steven and I were in communication and as I peaked over the edge of the cliff, they saw me. They began to move up the mountain and to my right. I knew exactly where they were headed so I busted my ass over there hoping to intercept them. My plan nearly worked, I was able to get to 88 yards from a billy but as I drew back he took off. It was really exciting, but I was feeling dejected knowing that Steven had to leave the following day, I thought that that may have been our last chance.

Not long after, Steven called me to tell me that the big billy was not with the group and was actually back in the same cave from the day before! Unbelievable! We were set on figuring out a way to get as close as possible. I was walking heavy-footed down hill on some loose gravely type of terrain when my left foot slipped out, my knee hyperextended and I felt a pop. The pain was really intense and I hit the ground hard and immediately knew that I was in trouble. I've never had a serious knee injury but I knew that I had just ruptured my patellar tendon.

I called Steven and told him he better start hiking up with an empty pack. It's hard to even explain the roller coaster of emotions that I was going through in that moment. Would I have to hit the SOS button? How the **** am I going to get off of this mountain? I nearly passed out from the shock and the pain, I did some very deep, heavy breathing that I think kept me conscious. Despite the warm weather I got really cold and sweaty to the point where I had to put on my windbreaker (the only layer I had considering the hot temps) and wrap myself in my tarp. I'm not going to lie, that was a tough 2 hours sitting there waiting for Steven. I shed some tears, talked to Jesus, and had a pretty emotional phone call with my girl.

Steven showed up. It was about 10 am now. My leg was completely useless, I couldn't bend my knee at all, but fortunately I could put weight on the leg and the pain was manageable, but only if I kept the leg completely straight. The slightest bit of bend in the knee was 10/10 pain. Steven brought up some gorilla tape with him which ended up being clutch. We taped the knee in a straight position and I was determined to get off that mountain on my own 2 feet.
View attachment 780191

The route down was awful. It was only 2 miles but it was down 2,000 feet, all off trail and loose as hell. I had to move so slow and given the situation, I actually had to step with my bad leg downhill, anchor my poles and essentially do a pistol squat with my good leg. Rinse and repeat. It took us 8 hours to get back to the truck. What a slog. Steven carried all of my stuff, my camp, my bow, he even strapped my pack to his. I still get emotional thinking about the gratitude I felt that day. He didn't save my life but he sure made a shitty situation much more manageable for me.

To put salt in the wound, the next day I had to drive 14 hours back to southern California. The driving wasn't too bad considering I was able to scoot my seat back and keep my left leg straight. It was getting out to get gas that sucked the most. Well I made it back, saw my doctor, did the mri and eventually consulted with an orthopedic surgeon and he confirmed my suspicion. Ruptured patellar tendon, one of the worst sports injuries there is.

Like I said, surgery was today and the rehab begins asap. I'm looking at 12-18 months for a full recovery, but I should be good to hunt next fall. Everything is a blessing with the right perspective 🙏.

Thanks for reading and if I can give any advice it would be find yourself a hunting partner like Steven.
Good heavens, what an experience! Prayers for swift recovery. Sounds like you are in good shape overall so that should help. I had knee surgery years ago and prompt and effective rehab is essential.

Beendare

WKR
type2,
The question is; Could you have done anything different?
Doesn't sound like it...maybe trek poles?

I shattered my ankle training with an 80# pack rolling on a gravelly downhill when I turned to check on my son [9 at the time] lagging behind. Note to self on my injury...pay attention and be deliberate.

TX_Diver

WKR
Dang. I had the October bowhunt years ago and while it was a cool hunt I never even got close to drawing my bow. Sounds like you did pretty well and may have beat the odds had you been able to keep going!

I have the muzzleloader tag in February now and hope to do better.

Hope the recovery goes well. If you want to chat ibex while you're laid up PM me your # as I'd be interested in the latest intel on the mountain.

OP
type2bowhunter
type2,
The question is; Could you have done anything different?
Doesn't sound like it...maybe trek poles?

I shattered my ankle training with an 80# pack rolling on a gravelly downhill when I turned to check on my son [9 at the time] lagging behind. Note to self on my injury...pay attention and be deliberate.
I don't think there's anything I could have done it was really just one of those freak accidents. Obviously being more careful is always a hindsight kinda deal. I did however have tendinitis in that patella for a while and perhaps could have done more to heal it properly. And you are correct, being deliberate with every step is crucial.

Poser

WKR
Dang, man. Would have been nice to have had two Sam Splints so you could better stabilize that knee in the backcountry. Did you drive home with it still duct taped in place?

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
"Some may call me a glutton for punishment, or perhaps a masochist."

I bet you aren't a glutton for that type of punishment! sorry that happened and your one tough guy to get off the mountain like that. Hang in there and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Sounds like you'll be on top of it. Properly rehabbing is everything. Don't let it get you down.

OP
type2bowhunter
Dang, man. Would have been nice to have had two Sam Splints so you could better stabilize that knee in the backcountry. Did you drive home with it still duct taped in place?
Yeah I'd say the e-kit is going to be upgraded for next season. I drove home with 2 ace wraps but if I had to do it again I'd duct tape it.