Initial Ascent IA8K - info needed

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
in high country, I leave my bag at camp, only run the lid and pannier. It's my favorite feature of the packs.

BBell4

FNG
Please do update. I have a deer hunt as well as my wife and I'll probably help on a elk hunt or 2 in September.

Braaap

WKR
I bought the 5k a few weeks ago and so far I’ve worn it on two training hikes with 40lbs. It carries 40lbs more comfortably than my SG and MR packs. It’s a pretty noticeable difference for me. I need to try 80-100 lbs to really see how it does but so far I’m impressed. The whole design of the pack seems good.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
Ia4k w/ panier and lid. 3rd season running it, packed out 87# 6.8 miles coming back from a sheep turned shed hunt. Strapped 2 bou sheds inside the panier and a moose paddle and 3rd bou shed on the outside. I use the spotting scope pouch for my rifle. I can get 10+ days out of this bag if I need to.. utilizing the load shelf for food and whatnot.. I don't know what I would do with a bigger bag 😅
IMG-20240817-WA0003.jpg

BBell4

FNG
I have to brag about IA customer service. I put a 40lb bag of pellets in there and and sent a picture in to Joe to get help with fitment. He was quick to respond and gave me a couple options to try. (I ended up lowering the shoulder straps on frame about 1/2")

I need to try with a bit more weight and hike but so far my impressions are good of how the weight is dispersed and how the weight feels attached to my back after wearing it around the yard and house for a couple hours. I also love how simple the strap system is to go from day mode to remounting the bag.

How do you guys run tripod and spotters in day mode?
I have 10s on chest, 15s, tripod and a spotter.

bdubb78

FNG
Curious for anyone that has run Stone Glacier and the IA packs, as this is my current consideration. I felt like the Stone Glacier x-curve frame made 50 lbs feel like 30 compared to my Mystery Ranch, but I can't get my hands on an IA anywhere in MN to give it a try. I am most curious for anyone that has tried both if the IA is "that much" more comfortable than an SG considering I can get a 20% GovX discount on the SG, but it appears at most I could get 10% on an IA. That's real money, plus the SG has the pannier included and I would need to buy it separately with the IA.

BBell4

FNG
Curious for anyone that has run Stone Glacier and the IA packs, as this is my current consideration. I felt like the Stone Glacier x-curve frame made 50 lbs feel like 30 compared to my Mystery Ranch, but I can't get my hands on an IA anywhere in MN to give it a try. I am most curious for anyone that has tried both if the IA is "that much" more comfortable than an SG considering I can get a 20% GovX discount on the SG, but it appears at most I could get 10% on an IA. That's real money, plus the SG has the pannier included and I would need to buy it separately with the IA.
Order an IA you have 30 days to mess with it I believe.

Braaap

WKR
I’ve had MR, SG, and an IA pack. The SG and IA are a big improvement over the MR. The MR load shelf goes down to the bottom of the hip belt and both the SG and IA packs the shelf (or pannier) doesn’t go lower than the top of the hip belt keeping the weight higher. I haven’t packed out an animal yet with the IA but so far on training hikes it’s my favorite.

bdubb78

FNG
I’ve had MR, SG, and an IA pack. The SG and IA are a big improvement over the MR. The MR load shelf goes down to the bottom of the hip belt and both the SG and IA packs the shelf (or pannier) doesn’t go lower than the top of the hip belt keeping the weight higher. I haven’t packed out an animal yet with the IA but so far on training hikes it’s my favorite.
I for sure agree with the location of the shelf and even the size of the belt being an improvement over the MR. I do have a deep lower back curve so that x-curve feels great and the pack does move with me a lot better as well. I like the IA bag design better and am very curious how it feels under load.

Braaap

WKR
I for sure agree with the location of the shelf and even the size of the belt being an improvement over the MR. I do have a deep lower back curve so that x-curve feels great and the pack does move with me a lot better as well. I like the IA bag design better and am very curious how it feels under load.
The X curve is my preference as well as it matches my back better. The IA has a giant lumbar pad and giant hip pads (almost too big but you get used to it). So far the fit has been excellent for me. Wife shot an antelope yesterday but we had a short drag and I didn’t have any need to load up the pack. It will have to wait until October deer and elk.