Information on Goat, Pig, or Sheep hunting on Hawaii big island?

ramses342

FNG
I am curious if someone on here has done any Goat, Pig or Sheep hunting on the big island of Hawaii? I will be going the last week of may for a week on my honeymoon and since I am a terrible swimmer my wife is cool with me hunt a day or two while she does some snorkeling. I have done a little research and it looks super cheap to do, and I am a club 49 member so I can bring my bow case for free, we are planning on renting a truck as well. Looks like their are a couple areas that are open during the middle of the week.

Beendare

WKR
I have a buddy on the big island ive hunted with multiple times.

Get your license early, they work on island time.

Bad news, the last few years G&F has been shooting goats and pigs with a chopper and its not a target rich environment like it used to be b

Realize that some locals might not be so friendly, and parking your vehicle in some spots are theft magnets dont leave valuables in your rig.

Be careful on the Hilo side wandering around, still growing pakalolo in spots. Many roads are a no no for a rental car.

Private ranches are going to be WAY better.

OP
ramses342

ramses342

FNG
I see that Parker Brothers Ranch is charging 1000 for a guided goat hunt on their property which seems like a option too.

OP
ramses342

ramses342

FNG
1000$ for a goat. Um,,,,,yeah.
Yeah I know that's why I said its on option, not a good option. By then I will know what my Alaska draws are so if I draw sheep or moose then I will obviously do that instead. Just hiking around Hawaii with my bow honestly sounds fun even if I do not see anything so I will probably just go public land.

Rob5589

WKR
Was there (Kona side) in June and there were goats everywhere. Some big billies, too. Tons of them on big stretches of open lava flow. Not sure about access, however. One thing for sure, the big island is the least friendly toward mainlanders that I have experienced so it may not be so easy to obtain permission.

AkandHi

FNG
I don’t have a ton of info yet sorry but I have been looking really hard at the big island and there opportunity’s there for goat sheep and pig most areas are open all year around if you have onX hunt the Hawaii public lands are all listed on there. https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/ here is the website for the hunting License and you will have to have the bow certificate approved through dnlr it’s simple process. And these are the most current hunting regs https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/files/2013/09/HAR-123-Game-Mammals.pdf
I just bought property there and plan on building a house so I have a place to go hunt in the winter when I get board haha good luck...

tdot

WKR
Exploring the island can be incredible, but just be careful of the lava fields. It can destroy boots pretty quick, and runners even faster. Even the ones from 50 years ago are sharper then just about any terrain I've seen anywhere else in the world.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Theres a couple solid guide guys there. Hawaii Game Management. Two different groups of friends went with them. $300 for 3 guys and I think 3 goats on private land can take via bow or rifle.