inflatable pad

seems like the front runners right now are exped syn and downmat and BA q-core. having a hard time deciding between the extra r value vs weight vs price. mostly shopping for the wife, trying to up her comfort a little...
right now we run zlite pads so other than weight it wont be hard to improve

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about the NeoAir. It has worked well for me for several years and is super light in comparison.

muleman

WKR
I would approach the decision by looking at the least common denominator on the temperature rating. If she wouldn't use the pad in temperatures below that, then weight would be my next deciding factor. Price would be my last consideration. Not because I have unlimited cash, but because over the years I have found that if I buy the best I can possibly afford; the amortized price is less than buying multiple inferior products. With that said, I have yet to replaced my long wide BA-IAC with a long wide Exped DownMat UL. Just can't seen to part with the money for the Exped when my IAC meets my needs.

Modern technology makes roughing it so much nicer these days. There is now way I would use a generic blue closed cell foam pad that I started with 30 years ago. Just to much comfort to be had with the new inflatable pads.

OP
fillthefreezer
we rarely if ever camp below 20deg, if we do its usually in the wall tent with stove. i would like to be able to start camping UL on snowshoe trips and extend my range so thats part of the idea here as well though

Mike7

WKR
The BA IAC inflatable (72" mummy) along with a short thermarest ridgerest foam pad(48") works nicely sleeping on the snow for me in temps down to 15 anyway, but all together about 30 oz weight penalty. I'll carry it though and don't have any plans to change currently, because this combo gives me the versatility to use the foam pad for sitting/glassing during the day and gives a person a backup in case of catastrophic inflatable pad failure which happened to me once previously with the old thermarest inflatables (that was a very crappy night of freezing and pain lying on cold granite).

The REI stratus is treating me right and I got it on sale for less than $60. If it breaks then it will go back for a new one.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have slept comfortably on my NeoAir down to mid 20's without any trouble. Temps lower than that, we usually haul along the Big Agnes IAC for their added insulation.

Having spent a few nights on a z-lite pad, I imagine she would be impressed with the upgrade :)

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
If you have access to Promotive, they are running a 60% off sale thru sept 17th on the BA IAC.

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
Check out promotive.com and see if you may belong to one of the "teams" to gain access. Im in the military so I fall into the Air Force team. Its good for law enforcement, fire rescue, military, forest servive, us dept of interior and several others. Some of the Promotive discounts are really good and others you can find just as good a deal in the net.

OP
fillthefreezer
damn, they don't have a dirty diesel mechanics team... hmm, maybe i can find someone that does, 60% seems an easy way to decide on that BA IAC

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
I've only got one trip on my klymit pad but so far it works and with a small pack, the reduced bulk is nice.

Rizzy

WKR
I got my wife the BA Dual Aircore, its got a very high R value and keeps her warm and comfortable. Warm is important when it comes to camping. During the cold part of the hunting season when she doesn't go, I will use it instead of my Neoair because it has a much higher R value. The only problem is it's heavy and a real pain to get in the stuff sack it comes with.

I love my exped, worth the extra weight and cost to me.
I don't even have a feather bed at home..........