Infection beyond anything I’ve seen

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a spring bear with a large wound on his rump with a lot of puss (looked like a fighting wound from the previous fall). It did not go through the fat into the muscle, the bear was very healthy looking, and I kept all the meat and just trimmed the nasty fat.

The doe looking skinny and sickly is why I would through it out. Hard to say if the infection was only localized, or if it had spread to the blood and she was close to death anyway.

My vote would be wound/injury. Can't rule out some sort of walled off granuloma from a lung worm. I'd probably pass on eating that one.

Also, it's spelled Pus, not puss.
Puss is a cat, female anatomy, or a wussy boy.

Seen a lot of funny appointment notes over the years from receptionists such as "Leaking puss on backside, bad smell"

Kodiak06

FNG
Can anyone tell me what this is? Multiple guys in camp have been hunting deer for 40 plus years and never seen anything like this. Immediately first thing before opening her up was she was scraggly and no meat on her.
We killed one like that one year. The deer was a buck and about an 8" tine broke off in between his ribs. NASTY

WCB

WKR
Seen pus similar to that from a tine puncture wound. Not quit as much but similar. About lost my lunch when I pulled the skin back to expose it and the stink hit me.

Another time I hit a small 8pt at about 60yards with a 20Ga slug. When the slug hit him it sound like someone belly flopped from 3 stories up (he looked normal walking by). When I got to him noticed he seemed kind of bloated. Moving his shoulder sounded like a water bed. Opened him up and he had to of had 5 gallons of water/liquid around his front shoulder. No signs of a wound or anything. But also not a stitch of fat on him. DNR let me cut the horns off and gave me my tag back and allowed us to dispose of the buck on some private land we had as he didn't want to deal with it. So essential I kept the buck and got my tag. He was 100% not eaten.

I’d cut a piece off the ham and cook to see if it tastes okay and decide from there whether I wanted to keep what I could or leave it for scavengers

bushbound

FNG
That is the worst I've ever seen as well. I'd be calling conservation and asking for a new tag. I'm glad you don't really have too.