Inconsistent/not enough shoulder bumps?

Edit to simplify. Lee press, Lee RGB FL dies.

22-250 FL Lee dies are not touching the shell holder no matter how far I screw die in. Don’t have this issue with 6.5cm Lee dies (had issue with 6.5cm RCBS dies)

Cleaned 22-250 die out to ensure there isn’t excessive lube.

Because the die and shell holder don’t contact, I’m getting little to no shoulder bump (regardless how many times I try resizing). I’ve tried annealing, no luck.

I’ve had some issues in the past with this Lee press no giving consistent shoulder bumps but semi fixed it with sizing a case twice.

Any suggestions on what’s wrong the the 22-250 die?

Last edited:
OP
T
Come to think of it, I had the same issue with 6.5cm and RCBS FL does and by getting a Lee die, I was able to bump the shoulder. But that FL RCBS would never touch the shoulder no matter how far in I screwed or

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taudisio

WKR
Just clarifying, when sizing with a piece of brass, your shellholder is not making contact with your sizing die, and it is also not bumping the shoulder?

OP
T
So I tried the 6.5 with the Lee die to compare, the shell holder and bottom of die come in contact and provide a consistent bump.

Any idea why the 22-250 due and shell holder don’t come in contact?

OP
T
Just clarifying, when sizing with a piece of brass, your shellholder is not making contact with your sizing die, and it is also not bumping the shoulder?

Correct on the shell holder and 22-250 die not coming in contact. It’s proving a little to no bunp regardless if I size that piece once or many times.

This shell holder is the same for the 6.5 (shell holder and die come in contact) and the 22-250

OP
T
With the 22-250, there’s a sizable gap between shell holder and die. This is with me pushing down hard on the handle.

It’s not this way with the Lee 6.5 die but same issue as the picture with 6.5 RCBS die

9334001ead8970f04b03a9860c6b6220.jpg

Taudisio

WKR
That is with your press all the way down? Take out the decapping stem completely and see what it does then.

OP
T
Put more force on the handle until it reaches its limit.

I’ve put half of my body weight into it thinking this was the problem. No luck and then the bench I have it attached to starts to move. The 6.5cm brass with Lee die sizes without too much force

Taudisio

WKR
Hmmm hard to diagnose without being there. My first thought is use a sacrificial piece of brass, more lube all the way up and down and give her the onion and see what the brass looks like when it comes out. It could get you into a pickle though, so do that at your own risk. You may have a strange dimension/cut inside your die.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
There might be some slop in the press. Try turning the die in further, a little at a time. Make sure there is sufficient lube on the case.

OP
T
There might be some slop in the press. Try turning the die in further, a little at a time. Make sure there is sufficient lube on the case.

Unfortunately I’ve tried this, no matter how far in I screw the die, there’s still a gap between the die and shell holder

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
This is bizarre because any typical press has more than enough force to form cases. For example a .260 Remington case is much longer than a 6.5cm case and a press can constrict it without any trouble what so ever. Are you for sure using a full length sizing die? You aren't using a Lee collet neck die are you?

Taudisio

WKR
This is bizarre because any typical press has more than enough force to form cases. For example a .260 Remington case is much longer than a 6.5cm case and a press can constrict it without any trouble what so ever. Are you for sure using a full length sizing die? You aren't using a Lee collet neck die are you?
Yes it is strange. I have absolutely crushed brass with ease.