In What Order Should I Buy Gear?

I grew up in a hunting family, but got away from it after moving to the city for school. Needless to say, since I’m on Rokslide, I want to get back into it!

I am hoping for some suggestions on the order in which i should prioritize getting gear. I have some basic stuff, like a rifle and a small amount of camo, but that’s basically it. My goal is to have a chance at deer, elk, and bear.

For the sake of this question, consider me as not having anything but a rifle. What are the first things I should buy to get started, then how should I continue to prioritize more gear for future seasons?

Thx in advance

Hnthrdr

WKR
Do you have a reliable aiming device on your rifle? After that, is set, I’d go bino’s, pack, footwear, then outdoor clothing, then it depends on style and season of hunting, but probably camping supplies, tent, bags, stove, ect…

OP
H
Do you have a reliable aiming device on your rifle? After that, is set, I’d go bino’s, pack, footwear, then outdoor clothing, then it depends on style and season of hunting, but probably camping supplies, tent, bags, stove, ect…
I was thinking of getting some Mavin C’s first, then a pack. Still researching the right pack though.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I was thinking of getting some Mavin C’s first, then a pack. Still researching the right pack though.
Seems like a solid plan to me, do you have a scheels or a halfway decent sporting good store close by? Go try some packs on, exo, MR, eberlestock, kifaru, tons of solid packs out there, often times you can get a good deal on here on a pack. Try several find one you like. Some are nice since you can size up or size down depending on day hunt vs backpacking ect…

What type of hunting you thinking of doing, base camp, hiking in? Since you have a rifle I would recommend investing in quality glass, rifle scope, binos and depending on hunting terrain a spotting scope and tripod. After a couple of seasons acquiring these you'll probably know which style you might want to do,

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
In order.

-Good knife (a cheap one will be fine)
-Good shoes.
-Good pack.
-Game bags (expensive are nice, but pillow cases work).
-Trekking poles
-Mid range binoculars (such as Zeiss Conquest) and bino harness.
-Clothing, no need for camo, just stuff that is comfortable in the field.
-Stove/pot/spoon.
-Sleeping pad/sleeping bag/tent.

Scale the hunt to the gear you have, so start day hunting until you are set up to camp.

OP
H
Seems like a solid plan to me, do you have a scheels or a halfway decent sporting good store close by? Go try some packs on, exo, MR, eberlestock, kifaru, tons of solid packs out there, often times you can get a good deal on here on a pack. Try several find one you like. Some are nice since you can size up or size down depending on day hunt vs backpacking ect…
I have sportsman’s wearhouse and cabelas

Vaultman

WKR
1. Scope.
2. Ammo.
3. Boots.
4. Weather appropriate clothing. (1 set. You do not need to change daily)
5. Binos.
6. Pack (You do not need a framed pack, until elk hunting year (I'd just get a cheap pack to start then the year before elk tag is drawn get a full framed pack).

4 & 5 could be switched, but I would stand by this order for anyone, unless they had 2 peg legs.

Slickhill

FNG
Get yourself some decent binos, a daypack of some sort, and some comfortable boots. I’ve done a bunch of hunting in my lace up work boots one short trips after work and carried my lunch, tags, knife sharpener, flashlight, etc in a school backpack on a bunch of hunts.

Clothes need not be camo or expensive most of the time. Millions of game animals have been and continue to be killed by guys wearing jeans and flannel shirts.

You will need a frame pack of some sort to pack meat in rough country. I’ve packed tons of elk, moose, and deer meat out on cheap freighter frames that are left at camp or the wheeler until an animal is down. Not ideal for backcountry spike camp situations but beginners with no gear aren’t usually engaging in that type of adventure.

If you have a good pocketknife and know how to sharpen it you’ll be fine there.

Get out there and learn where and when to find animals first. Figure out what you want to upgrade to that fits your needs from there.

OP
H
Get yourself some decent binos, a daypack of some sort, and some comfortable boots. I’ve done a bunch of hunting in my lace up work boots one short trips after work and carried my lunch, tags, knife sharpener, flashlight, etc in a school backpack on a bunch of hunts.

Clothes need not be camo or expensive most of the time. Millions of game animals have been and continue to be killed by guys wearing jeans and flannel shirts.

You will need a frame pack of some sort to pack meat in rough country. I’ve packed tons of elk, moose, and deer meat out on cheap freighter frames that are left at camp or the wheeler until an animal is down. Not ideal for backcountry spike camp situations but beginners with no gear aren’t usually engaging in that type of adventure.

If you have a good pocketknife and know how to sharpen it you’ll be fine there.

Get out there and learn where and when to find animals first. Figure out what you want to upgrade to that fits your needs from there.
Love it. Just gotta get out there and test

Reliable and accurate weapon system, pack, good boots, binos and then after that it depends on how you want to hunt. If you're thinking backpack, then sleeping bag and tent. If you're truck camping then you could switch things up.

The longer I hunt the less important it is to me to have the latest camo. I'm still rocking older model first lite. My favorite pair of pants have been prana Zion's. You don't have to buy the most expensive stuff and you can use ski clothing or something similar and not pay hundreds of dollars for pants or jackets. I honestly would prioritize going over trying to have everything beforehand. Get a cheap sleeping bag, tent setup or sleep in your vehicle. I bought a stainless stove for my tent for truck camping on temu for $80 and it works great. You can get a lot of knowledge from forums like this but you'll also have a lot of expensive suggestions that aren't necessary to be successful in harvesting game, especially initially. You could hunt with vortex viper binos and be fine starting out, you could reliably kill deer with a Ruger American, etc. You'll want to upgrade down the road no matter what you do. I would look at used on here when you do have the hankering for something fancy. Just my two cents.