In the market. Suggestions appreciated

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
In the market for a new a rifle. Know this gets asked frequently. But honeslty figured this was the best place to turn. Did some searching and have an idea, just wanted to double check.

Looking for something that is deer/elk capable, sub 500 yards. But do like to shoot for fun at longer distances.

Haven't been a dedicated rifle guy for over 18 years, caught the archery bug . But busted out the wife's .270 for a December late season doe hunt in a blizzard last year, spot and stalk style, had a blast.

If I had no firearm what might u suggest?

If I already had a
Rem 22-250
Rem 7mm

Would it change your suggestion?

Don't mind my 7mm. But feel the accuracy is not quite what I want it to be. For some reason it dosnt like the new expensive factory ammo, and the recoil makes it not that much fun to shoot alot.

Any advice appreciated. Rifles are not my realm of expertise.

Thz

Last edited:

Nevwild

FNG
Classified Approved
With a heavy for caliber fragmenting bullet. In a tikka action. With a rokstok. And a maven rs 1.2.

If you’re drinking that tasty tasty rokslide koolaid.

I went with a 6.5 cm variant of this because I wanted more availability of factory ammo, and I didn’t want to swap a barrel from their standard caliber options.

I kinda wish I had just gone for the reduced recoil of the 6 cm. Otherwise couldn’t be happier except I didn’t order my rokstok till early may. And I haven’t bought a maven yet. But someday I’ll have the modern RSS!

With that said, machining techniques are consistently good enough that accuracy is no longer a differentiator. Instead things like recoil and reliability are the things that separate a weapon system. So again, a Tikka in 6cm is hard to beat, unless you want to spend thousands of dollars more on something truly custom.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I would say 6.5 prc for what you're wanting to do, and if you didn't have a rifle currently. If I were to base it off what you already have...I would still say 6.5 prc. Just a good combo of energy/velocity down range and low recoil. Factory ammo galore and easy to handload for.

As for the rifle itself I'd say it depends on if you want a factory rifle or custom. The aero solus is a hell of a deal for a factory rifle that is practically a custom. Custom tikka is always a good option or pretty much any of the other custom actions out there. I prefer terminus and American rifle company, but there's a different flavor for everyone

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
PredatoronthePrairie

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Thz everyone for the suggestions. I see 6.5 cm and prc thrown around a bit. Is there a big difference between the 2?

180ls1

WKR
Thz everyone for the suggestions. I see 6.5 cm and prc thrown around a bit. Is there a big difference between the 2?

200-250 fps and a few ftlbs of recoil. The prc will have the same recoil as the .270. 6.5 creed, definitely less. I'd grab the prc with elk in the picture and the ability to run factory 156 bergers.

Robobiss

FNG
The creed is the super popular one that you can find factory ammo at Walmart for. The PRC burns more powder, recoils harder, and for sake of simplicity essentially throws the same projectiles a couple-few hundred FPS faster. The PRC is not nearly as popular and you won’t likely find a box of bullets for it at Wally World.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
A 6.5CM is popular, cheap for practice, and won't smoke your barrel in under 1000 rounds as the PRC will.

If you don't have a lot of time to reload, I'd pick a calibre that you can find in a store that has reasonable selection. I'd also err on recoil less than 15 ft.lbs. Preferably 10 ft. lbs. or less.

Nevwild

FNG
Classified Approved
A 6.5CM is popular, cheap for practice, and won't smoke your barrel in under 1000 rounds as the PRC will.

If you don't have a lot of time to reload, I'd pick a calibre that you can find in a store that has reasonable selection. I'd also err on recoil less than 15 ft.lbs. Preferably 10 ft. lbs. or less.
For reference, a suppressed 8lb 6.5 cm shooting a 147 eldm has about 12 ft. lbs. recoil.

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
For reference, a suppressed 8lb 6.5 cm shooting a 147 eldm has 12 ft. lbs. recoil.
Yeah I'm thinking my 6.5x55 swede with 140s is about 10-11lbs. With suppressor it's even nicer to shoot. I estimate suppressors take recoil down about 1/3rd.

Mate shoots 260 with 123 SSTs and has a little less recoil, but is going around 2900 fps. No deer will remain standing when hit with either.

The 6.5CM loads on the shelves are all pretty good also if you don't reload (or even if you do).

I bought a 6.5 CM to try about 16 years ago. It has proven itself to me on 40+ head of big game.
Now I have 8.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
270 if mainly hunting. Perfect for hunting parameters and sounds like already have one in family. If going to shoot significant rounds at long range then 6.5 cm is good combo target/hunting

Lou

OP
PredatoronthePrairie

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Thz for all the info everyone.

Between the 6.5prc and cm.

If one wanted to get into hand
Loading. Are components more readily available in one or the other?

Gave up reloading trap shells sometime ago. But I could see getting into smaller batch hand loads and enjoying it.

Gorp2007

WKR
You can use large rifle primers for both, but you can also get small rifle primer brass for the 6.5 CM and you’ll burn less powder. Compared to sourcing large rifle primers, I’d say the edge goes to the Creedmoor for reloading.

Last edited:

Robobiss

FNG
Thz for all the info everyone.

Between the 6.5prc and cm.

If one wanted to get into hand
Loading. Are components more readily available in one or the other?

Gave up reloading trap shells sometime ago. But I could see getting into smaller batch hand loads and enjoying it.
They shoot the same projectiles so no difference there, same primers as well, regular large rifle. The big difference really between the two is powder and brass.

There is a lot more 6.5 creed brass out there and being produced but it really doesn’t matter. Buy a couple hundred quality pieces of 6.5 PRC and it will likely last you the life of the barrel, it shouldn’t be something you go out and buy often.

The problem with cartridges like the PRC as of now *can be* powder, a lot of the good slow burning magnum powder has been scarce as of late. Right now H1000, ramshot magnum, and Retumbo are all out of stock on midway for what it’s worth. Not the end of the world, I’m sure you can find it or an acceptable powder somewhere, and once you do, 5 lbs or so goes a long way with a rifle you aren’t exactly shooting a hundred rounds every weekend with.

H4350 is a very loved powder for the creedmoor, it’s in stock on midway, powder in this burn rate niche seems to be more available as of late.

Long story short, 6.5 creed components are easier to come by, but you could definitely make the PRC work, you just might need to make some bigger purchases of stuff in bulk when you happen to find it.

Edit to add as another poster pointed out, another advantage to the creedmoor is the SRP brass and availability of small rifle primers vs large rifle.

Last edited:

Robobiss

FNG
You can get small rifle primer brass for the 6.5 CM and you’ll burn less powder. Compared to sourcing magnum rifle primers, I’d say the edge goes to the Creedmoor for reloading.
Magnum primers? The data (at least most of it) I have seen for the PRC shows a federal
210 primer which I thought was a regular large rifle?

Robobiss

FNG
Good catch, my post was updated. Still see more SRP than LRP when I’m looking, but definitely easier than magnum.
Oh no doubt. Large rifle are a rotten pain in the ass to find, small rifle primers are everywhere.

I haven’t messed around with any of the SRP creedmoor brass, but from what I’ve seen it ignites just as well as LRP as long as you have a primer on the hot side and a good case fill.