In Reach vs Spot X

LaHunter

WKR
Back several years ago when I was doing my research on the Delorme InReach vs Spot, it was a no brainer for me. The overwhelming majority of reviews / posts were negative about the reliability of the Spot and the satellite system that Spot uses. I bought the Delorme InReach SE and have never had an issue with messages not going through or being slow. Many times I will get a reply to a message within 5-10 minutes.

ozyclint

WKR
It's very slow. If you don't want to use a phone or apps get the SE+ as its a little more user friendly as a stand alone unit. The Mini's alphabet is stretched out in a line along the side of the screen so to type a word you have to scroll up and down the line of letters to pick what you need. Its not impossible to type a text with the Mini but if you don't want to pair a phone then get the SE+.

Why so against pairing your phone to the Mini?

i don't want to have to rely on a third party device to use a device. it's just another thing to carry, another battery to maintain and for the tech unsavy a PITA.

dla

WKR
Back several years ago when I was doing my research on the Delorme InReach vs Spot, it was a no brainer for me. The overwhelming majority of reviews / posts were negative about the reliability of the Spot and the satellite system that Spot uses. I bought the Delorme InReach SE and have never had an issue with messages not going through or being slow. Many times I will get a reply to a message within 5-10 minutes.
But you were likely swayed by angry people posting on forums, people too dumb to use Spot correctly writing scathing reviews.
The criticisms about Spot's customer service and billing practices were deserved (although they've changed both). Funny, but Delorme used the same predatory billing system before being acquired by Garmin.
The statement - "The overwhelming majority of reviews / posts were negative about the reliability of the Spot and the satellite system that Spot uses" is true only if you limited your sources and ignored the posting date. The fact is that one negative experience, no matter how long ago, will circulate on forums over and over.
Case in point: in March of 2019 a snowmobiler got a broken leg. He triggered SOS. His buddy also carried Spot gen 3 and triggered SOS. SOS didn't work. Summary investigation determined that the injured's Spot was defective but the the buddy's Spot subscription had long expired. But the news reported that 2 Spots failed at the worst possible time. And every backpacking forum (and even this thread) parroted the same.
I just went to REI's website and looked up reviews on Spot gen 3. About 1/3 of the negative reviews had nothing to do with the device or service - just people angry about Spot's customer service. Another large percentage were what I call "the stupid factor" - people who use it wrong.
While I was at REI's site, I checked out reviews on the Garmin 66i - brand new. Mostly negative because Garmin has released before it was ready. So by this time next year it will be a very good product, much like SPOTX is turning out to be after lots of upgrades.
Imagine if a person based their decision on old reviews alone....

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
When I bought my DeLorme Inreach, I didn't base my decision on reviews or ratings solely. I compared features and cost of plans. There was simply no real comparison. If you are happy with your Spot then have at it. My Inreach is going strong and does what it's supposed to. Spot is just trying to catch up as far as I can tell. Once again, why did Garmin buy Delorme and not Spot?

dla

WKR
When I bought my DeLorme Inreach, I didn't base my decision on reviews or ratings solely. I compared features and cost of plans. There was simply no real comparison. If you are happy with your Spot then have at it. My Inreach is going strong and does what it's supposed to. Spot is just trying to catch up as far as I can tell. Once again, why did Garmin buy Delorme and not Spot?
Because Globalstar is making money on Spot, so Spot wasn't for sale.
Delorme didn't have the cash to continue product development. I don't like Garmin's first two products, but the Mini is great and the new 66i is potentially the best of breed.

LaHunter

WKR
But you were likely swayed by angry people posting on forums, people too dumb to use Spot correctly writing scathing reviews.
The criticisms about Spot's customer service and billing practices were deserved (although they've changed both). Funny, but Delorme used the same predatory billing system before being acquired by Garmin.
The statement - "The overwhelming majority of reviews / posts were negative about the reliability of the Spot and the satellite system that Spot uses" is true only if you limited your sources and ignored the posting date. The fact is that one negative experience, no matter how long ago, will circulate on forums over and over.
Case in point: in March of 2019 a snowmobiler got a broken leg. He triggered SOS. His buddy also carried Spot gen 3 and triggered SOS. SOS didn't work. Summary investigation determined that the injured's Spot was defective but the the buddy's Spot subscription had long expired. But the news reported that 2 Spots failed at the worst possible time. And every backpacking forum (and even this thread) parroted the same.
I just went to REI's website and looked up reviews on Spot gen 3. About 1/3 of the negative reviews had nothing to do with the device or service - just people angry about Spot's customer service. Another large percentage were what I call "the stupid factor" - people who use it wrong.
While I was at REI's site, I checked out reviews on the Garmin 66i - brand new. Mostly negative because Garmin has released before it was ready. So by this time next year it will be a very good product, much like SPOTX is turning out to be after lots of upgrades.
Imagine if a person based their decision on old reviews alone....

Do you happen to work for Spot or be some type of representative for Spot?
You seem to make some assumptions (which are inaccurate) in your reply to my earlier post.
If the Spot works well for you, that's awesome.
My older Delorme InReach SE has worked well for me for the past several years.

dla

WKR
Do you happen to work for Spot or be some type of representative for Spot?

And this is what happens when someone disagrees - character smear.

If I have made a false statement - point it out.
It is OK to like Garmin's products - in fact I think they have better features even though they are more expensive.
But I also see the value in Spot's product line.
Garmin really owns the 2-way communicator market right now and the competition from Spot is healthy - better for us. Funny, but Spot owned the personal communicator market for years and now they are playing catch up.

Jmort1754

WKR
And this is what happens when someone disagrees - character smear.

If I have made a false statement - point it out.
It is OK to like Garmin's products - in fact I think they have better features even though they are more expensive.
But I also see the value in Spot's product line.
Garmin really owns the 2-way communicator market right now and the competition from Spot is healthy - better for us. Funny, but Spot owned the personal communicator market for years and now they are playing catch up.
He didn’t smear you he simply asked a question.

dla

WKR
He didn’t smear you he simply asked a question.
"Do you happen to work for Spot or be some type of representative for Spot?"
Really? What would the purpose be for that question? What bearing would it have on the discussion? Was it a compliment and I just missed it?
Or are you implying that anyone with intelligent remarks must work for the vendor?
:)

muddydogs

WKR
"Do you happen to work for Spot or be some type of representative for Spot?"
Really? What would the purpose be for that question? What bearing would it have on the discussion? Was it a compliment and I just missed it?
Or are you implying that anyone with intelligent remarks must work for the vendor?
:)
He probably asked the question because you seem to be blindly following Spot and making excuses for the Spot when we all know that Spot is second place to the InReach. From my perspective it does sound like you have some stake with Spot and will do or say anything to push the Spot on anyone that might listen and be swayed by you.

dla

WKR
He probably asked the question because you seem to be blindly following Spot and making excuses for the Spot when we all know that Spot is second place to the InReach. From my perspective it does sound like you have some stake with Spot and will do or say anything to push the Spot on anyone that might listen and be swayed by you.
Ruger American is a distant "second place" to Tika T3 Hunter, but the Ruger will get the job done at a lower entry price.
Spot has it's place. Can you see that?

brsnow

WKR
I went to REI and handled spot x and garmin mini. The spot feels cheap, did not inspire confidence. I was open to either

muddydogs

WKR
Ruger American is a distant "second place" to Tika T3 Hunter, but the Ruger will get the job done at a lower entry price.
Spot has it's place. Can you see that?
Not when it comes to my life, these no reason to cheap out a couple hundred dollars on a sub par unit when it could mean life of death.

dla

WKR
Not when it comes to my life, these no reason to cheap out a couple hundred dollars on a sub par unit when it could mean life of death.
Aren't you the person who doesn't understand the need for tracking? Pardon me, but if you don't understand the value of tracking, then I think you're being a bit dramatic when you talk about "cheap out a couple hundred dollars on a sub par unit when it could mean life of death."
I get that you "want" the very best - just be careful how you justify it. Cause somebody might just challenge your "subpar unit" statement.

muddydogs

WKR
Aren't you the person who doesn't understand the need for tracking? Pardon me, but if you don't understand the value of tracking, then I think you're being a bit dramatic when you talk about "cheap out a couple hundred dollars on a sub par unit when it could mean life of death."
I get that you "want" the very best - just be careful how you justify it. Cause somebody might just challenge your "subpar unit" statement.
Really because I don't like tracking I don't know anything? Never said I don't like tracking I don't track for the same reasons you posted, no one is watching my track so why waste battery power tracking. If I get into trouble I'll be hitting the SOS and not relaying on someone noticing me missing and checking my track.

Your really grasping at straws to show your right, give it up or don't you already sound like a fool.

dla

WKR
If I get into trouble I'll be hitting the SOS and not relaying on someone noticing me missing and checking my track.
Tracking gives SAR a leg up in case you can't push the button, batteries die, unit croaks, etc. That's why it is important.

87TT

WKR
I usually only use the tracking maybe once when I get where I'm going then turn the function off. If my wife needs me, she can text me or ping my location. Tracking uses data messaging and costs.

hikenhunt

WKR

I wouldn't call it "blindly following Spot" since Spot has been working well for him, but there is no denying that many have had issues with Spot, including myself. I'm not relying on 3rd hand info, that was my experience.

I was surprised by the comment from dla that seemed to brush off the fact that the snowmobiler's Spot was defective and the SOS didn't work when he needed it. Whether it was one or two defective units, that's still a huge issue!

Reactions: dla
K

Kootenay Hunter

My experience with the Spot X - was checking in every night from the same location, and open area, good sight of the horizon in all directions.

Made connections and subsequent texts for a few nights in a row, no issues. Then the 4th night I got no bars for satellites and it was perpetually searching for a connection. did all the troubleshooting steps, even moved to a different location, nothing. I left it for several hours, no connection. I did not gain a connection until almost 24 hrs later.

I'm assuming, with common sense, that a connection is necessary to make an SOS.

I was in a 'remote' location, but not as the crow flies in terms of being surrounded by cities, etc.

Had I would have been in distress and needed an extraction, I would not have been able to rely on the Spot X in that situation. I realize nothing is perfect, but after that I lost all confidence in the product and would rather try a different one to see if I get the same or better reliability, worth a shot, when your life is potentially in danger.

I also realize that yes, 5 years ago or whatever, this type of device was not readily available, and people had to deal with it. I'm making a statement on the product and not whining that I was unconnected. ;)

Also, this is only a few weeks ago, I cancelled my annual Spot service, but was lucky as it was on the date of renewal. No heads up e-mail message or anything. I though that was shady and not in the best interest of the customer. They also make you call to cancel your subscription so they can hound you to try a different package etc. Joke was on them cause i changed my CC, but still, it's the principle of it all.

Reactions: dla