In need of Spine/Tuning Help

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Okay. So I have had my bow for about 3 years now and always had issues tuning it. I have always had a point right nock left tear and my broadheads have always hit right of my field points. No matter how far I move my rest to the right or left it changes absolutely nothing. Past years I have just sighted into this, but I just got new strings put on which I was hoping fixed this. Obviously it did not and I am sick of sighting in for broadheads, I want my bow tuned. My grip is good and no matter how I grip it it doesn't change my tear, I also have removed the grip from my bow and am just shooting off the riser to help minimize torque. I am about to bring my bow to my shop and have them try and tune it or fix whatever is going on. I have 3 guesses what it could be, I need different spacers in my cams, I have cam lean on my top cam cause it has yokes, or I have a spine issue. But I have such a hard time thinking it's a spine issue. Here are my specs. Also I am left handed for reference

- I am shooting 72lbs out of a Hoyt Torrex (327 Ibo) with a 29in DL
- I have 5mm Easton Axis 300 Spine 27.75 CTC with 175grains up front

I don't have different weighted field points otherwise I would have tried that already. Does anyone have some insight on what they think is going on. And could somebody do a spine calculation for me in one of them fancy apps to see how I am spined. I also switched to mechanical broadheads this year instead of fixed like I was using in the past for ease of tuning and better flight. So when they still were having issues flying I knew something is really not right here. Thanks for all of the help in advance guys!

Ho5tile1

WKR
Don’t have experience with that bow but sounds like your cams need to be shimmed. Have you tried to yoke tune at all. I know on my Mathews bow my broadheads where hitting left of FP and after 18 clicks left on the rest it moved a small amount so I put it back to 13/16s changed my top hats and moved my cam to the right and it fixed it right up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t have experience with that bow but sounds like your cams need to be shimmed. Have you tried to yoke tune at all. I know on my Mathews bow my broadheads where hitting left of FP and after 18 clicks left on the rest it moved a small amount so I put it back to 13/16s changed my top hats and moved my cam to the right and it fixed it right up

I unfortunately don't have a press so I can't work on it myself. That's why I am going to bring it to my shop.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I understand..any half way decent bow tech should be able to get that taking care of. I would make sure they are having you shoot the bow through paper at the shop as they make changes. If they won’t let you I’d find a different shop. I would also invest in a bow press it will pay for itself in time. Then you don’t have to rely on the bow shop good luck

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I understand..any half way decent bow tech should be able to get that taking care of. I would make sure they are having you shoot the bow through paper at the shop as they make changes. If they won’t let you I’d find a different shop. I would also invest in a bow press it will pay for itself in time. Then you don’t have to rely on the bow shop good luck

I for sure will at some point.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think it is a spine issue. If you don’t have a press I would set my rest to factory recommended center shot and take it to a good shop and have them yoke tune the tear out of it while you shoot it. Get the smallest most consistent tear you can without touching the rest. Then take it home and use the rest to BH tune.

Zac

WKR
The shop should be able to put some twists in the left yoke and clear all that up for you.

dkime

WKR
Okay. So I have had my bow for about 3 years now and always had issues tuning it. I have always had a point right nock left tear and my broadheads have always hit right of my field points. No matter how far I move my rest to the right or left it changes absolutely nothing. Past years I have just sighted into this, but I just got new strings put on which I was hoping fixed this. Obviously it did not and I am sick of sighting in for broadheads, I want my bow tuned. My grip is good and no matter how I grip it it doesn't change my tear, I also have removed the grip from my bow and am just shooting off the riser to help minimize torque. I am about to bring my bow to my shop and have them try and tune it or fix whatever is going on. I have 3 guesses what it could be, I need different spacers in my cams, I have cam lean on my top cam cause it has yokes, or I have a spine issue. But I have such a hard time thinking it's a spine issue. Here are my specs. Also I am left handed for reference

- I am shooting 72lbs out of a Hoyt Torrex (327 Ibo) with a 29in DL
- I have 5mm Easton Axis 300 Spine 27.75 CTC with 175grains up front

I don't have different weighted field points otherwise I would have tried that already. Does anyone have some insight on what they think is going on. And could somebody do a spine calculation for me in one of them fancy apps to see how I am spined. I also switched to mechanical broadheads this year instead of fixed like I was using in the past for ease of tuning and better flight. So when they still were having issues flying I knew something is really not right here. Thanks for all of the help in advance guys!

If you are left handed you have too much cam lean, your shop will be adding twists to your left yoke and removing twists from your right yoke leg.

Simple test to show that it’s torque related, adjusting the yoke legs will treat the symptom in this case.

Shooter is the center of the dial on a clock

Target is at 12 o clock.

Torque the bow so the stabilizer is pointed to 11 o’clock and shoot the arrow at the target.

(Through paper is fine but a bare shaft in a good target will show this easier)

If you are able to intentionally remove all of the torque from the system by doing this it will show you that it is not a spine issue.

Once you accomplish this, have your shop adjust your yoke legs and it will all be mitigated with your natural amount of torque.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I think on a left handed bows you will move the cam to the right I know on my right handed bow if I was hitting right of FP I’d move my cam to the left but on yours I think it’s the opposite. I’ve always moved the cam the way I want my arrow to move and move the rest the opposite for a right handed shooter. So I’d guess it’s the opposite for left handed

You've got yokes...use 'em! To correct a nock left tear, add twists to the left leg and remove an equal amount of twists from the right leg. If you're not ready to pony up for a "real" press, a portable cable press is a cheaper option that is still pretty effective for yoke tuning.
Screenshot_20210219-073736.png
Screenshot_20210219-073524.png