In-Depth 180 ELDM terminal performance.

huntnful

WKR
I spent more time documenting the wound and compiling these videos together to hopefully give a better idea of bullet performance. I know gutting her and showing internal damage would be even more beneficial, and I may just have to start doing it in the name of science lol. But for now, here’s a first hand look at terminal damage from a 180 ELDM with an impact velocity of about 2500 FPS.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Good shooting. Looks like the eld-m worked great
Thank you. So far the heavy for caliber line of ELDM bullets have performed exceptionally well for me in various .308, .284, .243 & .224 chamberings

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not sure how many I’ve killed with the 180s. They are devastating on animals. Golf ball exits are the norm.

I’m giving the 245 hybrids a try this year, I’m hoping for similar exits!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
That’s the 7mm?
Yes sir. 7mm

That was a great vid, thanks for sharing. This kind of documentation is always extremely interesting.
Thank you! Yes I would like to do better documentation in the field, even if I don’t get the shots on video.

Not sure how many I’ve killed with the 180s. They are devastating on animals. Golf ball exits are the norm.

Was just out shooting this morning with a good buddy. He’s shooting 300 NMI with 245 LRHT’s. He also killed an aoudad ram at 600 yards. Good exit. Ram only went maybe 20-30 yards.

Great shooting and impressive results! Where was this hunt?
Thank you. It was in west Texas.

Diced

WKR
Thanks for the field report, that's a serious wound channel.

I had a pile of tags in '22 and used the 225gr out of a 300 win mag @ 2800fps. I saw around 1.5" wound channels and exits on all animals except a bull elk. Probably a little too heavy for 300 win but even at pretty low speeds I was impressed by them.

I'll be putting the 7mm 180s to the test this year...

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Thanks for the field report, that's a serious wound channel.

I had a pile of tags in '22 and used the 225gr out of a 300 win mag @ 2800fps. I saw around 1.5" wound channels and exits on all animals except a bull elk. Probably a little too heavy for 300 win but even at pretty low speeds I was impressed by them.

I'll be putting the 7mm 180s to the test this year...
I shot the 225’s last year and they were devastating. So much so that I thought, well I don’t even need a wound half this size to kill these animals hahaha. So I went to the 7mm.

This is just after removing the hide

Diced

WKR
I shot the 225’s last year and they were devastating. So much so that I thought, well I don’t even need a wound half this size to kill these animals hahaha. So I went to the 7mm.

This is just after removing the hide
Man that's devastating. I thought they were supposed to bounce off and not penetrate the shoulder at close range 😂

I’ve got a 7 RM xbolt with 1/8 twist and 28” barrel. Was seating pretty long and flinging the 180 ELD-Ms at around 3100 fps. Wound up getting some pressure signs so backed way down, now around 2850 fps with 67.0 gr retumbo. Also shoots 168 VLDs really well. Only killed one animal with those but decided to take the 180s for a bull elk hunt this fall with 13 points on the line. Looks like it should do the trick.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I’ve got a 7 RM xbolt with 1/8 twist and 28” barrel. Was seating pretty long and flinging the 180 ELD-Ms at around 3100 fps. Wound up getting some pressure signs so backed way down, now around 2850 fps with 67.0 gr retumbo. Also shoots 168 VLDs really well. Only killed one animal with those but decided to take the 180s for a bull elk hunt this fall with 13 points on the line. Looks like it should do the trick.
I would not hesitate to hunt any once in a lifetime tag with these bullet. Put an ELDM in the lungs and there’s just no way that animal is surviving very long, that’s for sure

I tested the hype with a 120 ELDM on a youth hunt, my middle boy crushed a very nice feral hog with a 6.5 G. One shot and his lungs were like a bowl of chili when I cleaned him. Only one animal but it was enough to make me a believer.

Sellers77

FNG
Devastating wound channel. Can’t wait to see what the 180s do with a 28 nosler. More excited for the ballistics on these bullets too.

Also you need to kill some stuff with your 22 cal and see what that does.

I’ve been running the 245 eol and have had large exit holes. I know one guy who has ran the hybrid on audads with same results. They wreck stuff especially with some horsepower behind them!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve been running the 245 eol and have had large exit holes. I know one guy who has ran the hybrid on audads with same results. They wreck stuff especially with some horsepower behind them!
They’re coming out of a 22” 300nmi. So far they knock the crap out of paper! 😂