Importing game meat from New Zealand to Canada

Spraynine

FNG
Does anyone have experience importing game meat from New Zealand to Canada? I seem to be able to find decent info on I how to import your trophy’s but nothing about importing meat. I’m planning a future hunt and would love to bring some of the meat back.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
asks cbsa and see how it goes with vet certificates and you will understand while you can try there is a few chances to succeed ...

New Zealand​

• Bovine – raw and processed
  • Ovine and caprine – raw and processed
  • Farmed deer – raw and processed
  • Ratites (ostrich, emu, rhea) – raw and processed

Last edited:
OP
S

Spraynine

FNG
asks cbsa and see how it goes with vet certificates and you will understand while you can try there is a few chances to succeed ...

New Zealand​

• Bovine – raw and processed
  • Ovine and caprine – raw and processed
  • Farmed deer – raw and processed
  • Ratites (ostrich, emu, rhea) – raw and processed
Thanks, that info is helpful and a good place to start.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
To my knowledge it is not legal to bring any foreign meat across US borders, even if you can leave NZ with it.
that is very interesting Larry as most of the Yukoners visiting Alaska had to abandon dairy, eggs and meats when going to alaska (im pretty sure the border people are not wasting all of it), when we re bringing fish from alaska even canada let us coming back with it ...

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some countries are strangely opposed to meat products. Just got back from Australia last month and the authorities had dogs trained to sniff out meat and poultry products (not drugs like I expected). This one couple had dried meat in their bags and the authorities confiscated it and something like a bouillon paste they weren't familiar with but the dogs reacted to it so it was taken as well.

I have no idea about Canada rules, but our hunters have been able to drive on both ends of the border from Alaska with their game meat.

If anyone uncovers a new reality and way of doing it, I'd appreciate the education too.

JNDEER

WKR
Gentleman-

- meats coming from (originating) NZ directly into the US are allowed.

- meats transiting through US to another country- as long as the products are checked through and no overnight layover are not regulated in the US and allowed to continue on to their final destination. The final destination (country) will have their own regulation for the products.

- Canines are a great tool- the meat you saw taken although coming from a passenger off a plane from NZ (I assume this as you have written it) were NOT meats originating from NZ. Dried meats are allowed into the US from NZ.

JP100

WKR
You need to research the laws at your point of entry.

Leaving here is not an issue.

I have had clients take meat from NZ to the USA.

one of two ways.

-We drop the meat the a butcher and it is processed and packed then shipped

-we drop the meat to a butcher and it is processed and packed and they take it with them frozen on the plane.

Meat is supposed to be processed and packed at a proper facility.

The main issue here is the time window for a hunt, and the cost. shipping meat international makes little sense.

There is a very good reason most countries do not want meat coming across borders, CWD, foot and mouth, TB etc etc can cost out economies billions and also put peoples lives at risk.

OP
S

Spraynine

FNG
You need to research the laws at your point of entry.

Leaving here is not an issue.

I have had clients take meat from NZ to the USA.

one of two ways.

-We drop the meat the a butcher and it is processed and packed then shipped

-we drop the meat to a butcher and it is processed and packed and they take it with them frozen on the plane.

Meat is supposed to be processed and packed at a proper facility.

The main issue here is the time window for a hunt, and the cost. shipping meat international makes little sense.

There is a very good reason most countries do not want meat coming across borders, CWD, foot and mouth, TB etc etc can cost out economies billions and also put peoples lives at risk.
Thanks for the info. I’ll maybe try contacting some butchers in the area and see if they have experience with this.

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks for the info. I’ll maybe try contacting some butchers in the area and see if they have experience with this.
Doesn’t need to be from a butcher- however proof the meat can only be from NZ would be recommended.

Butchering or direct flights only and no layover in other countries is an example.

Trophy hides, cape, antlers are regulated if you plan to bring any back either in luggage or cargo.