Importance, or not, of 3D deer target

Dave0317

WKR
In the context of traditional archery, how important is it to you to practice on a 3D animal target before season?

With a compound I typically practice on bags and blocks, but with a recurve I have been wondering if that could lead to a weak sight picture on animals. I typically gap shoot or maybe kind of instinctive gap once I start mixing in unknown distances. I’m thinking that my gaps could be subconsciously dependent on the square bag that I usually am aiming at.

Do y’all feel that a realistic target helps you set or memorize appropriate holds at different distances much better? Or if you can hit a spot on a bag do you feel like that carries over just fine to an animal?

Tradchef

WKR
I like having a bag and 3d at the house along with stump shooting and going to a few shoots if time permits. I also love shooting small game as much as possible. For 3d targets I like smaller ones. Javi’s, boar, coyote etc…. I find that over the years it helps me concentrate more on making a good shot. My vote is yes. If you can swing it, it helps. The cut outs for hay bales are a great alternative too. Cheap and effective

3d target is important to me. I went a couple years without a 3d at home and shot bag targets. I developed a tendency to shoot the center of the bag or block. Hunting season came around and my brain was trained to shoot the center. I made a bad shot on a pig right in the center of the paunch. So lessons learned I bought a 3d target after that and fixed myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, it's important for me and as close to life-size as possible. For both compound and traditional. It helps me a lot with range estimation also.

When I drew a great elk tag last year and decided to use my traditional bow, I went as far as getting a 4x8' life size print of an elk (just put a couple blocks behind it). It wasn't a 3d target, but the size was important, especially visualizing the vitals on a bull.

And it's just plain fun.

Beendare

WKR
I think it's essential.

Standing on flat ground at even distances on a range shooting arrow after arrow is good for from work but a license to fail in a hunt situation. Hunting is just different. Many times we don't have all day to squeeze on off and are forced to shoot in a window of opportunity. If you don't practice getting to FD quickly and decisively-opportunities might pass you by.

I have hunted with guys when calling elk for them and they said, "I didn't have a shot"
Ugh, yes you did....you just weren't ready in that short window of opportunity and now it's gone.

1) Replicating a real world shot situation...and one shot for all the marbles not only tells us what our effective range is but it forces us into the right mental process and to pick a spot

2) Have shot process on every shot that you can fall back on in a pressure situation.

BKM

FNG
I think it’s great until you get a large amount of experience. It lets you see in real time exactly what the arrow will go through with every angle shot. Shoot every angle from 5-50 yards and study it to see what it’s doing. Definitely don’t trust the vitals drawn on the target, my guess is there are some bad shot from people believing they are correct.

At 25+ years of bow hunting this is going through my head in real time as I take a shot on an animal so it’s not as important anymore.

Beendare

WKR
I meant to add; Shooting a 3D range and keeping score gives you an honest assessment of your effectiveness on the real thing that dinking around on targets doesn't.

It's easy to fling arrow after arrow into a bale from even distances in your backyard.....but get out into the woods and shoot realistic shots at unknown distances in a 3D tourney will tell us exactly how good we really are.

LostArra

WKR
3d target is important to me. I went a couple years without a 3d at home and shot bag targets. I developed a tendency to shoot the center of the bag or block. Hunting season came around and my brain was trained to shoot the center. I made a bad shot on a pig right in the center of the paunch. So lessons learned I bought a 3d target after that and fixed myself.
When I started shooting a bow (1960's and 70's) we only had small square hay bales with paper plates for vitals. My dad would never let us put the plate in the center of the bale for exactly the reason you mentioned. The bale also lasted longer.

Today I use a 3D target for hunting/treestand practice and a large Big Shot target for blank bale shooting or add a paper Vegas face for an honest evaluation of my inaccuracy.

rclouse79

WKR
I think shooting 3D is beneficial for a compound and I would guess more so for trad. We have a nice 3D range out of town, but I also bought an 2D elk target from deadnuts. They have a replaceable vital section, but I am still shooting the original after a summer and a half of practice. I have set it up in my backyard with a block target behind the vitals. I also have an after hours pass at my local archery shop and can shoot the 2D elk in air conditioning out to 60 yards. That is a nice treat when it is over 100 degrees outside.

IMG_1813.png

GLB

WKR
I think it’s extremely helpful for a hunter in so many ways.

3D shoots in hunting type settings while under pressure is great practice.
The photo’s are a recent 3D shoot I went to that had it set up with some good hunting shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4085.jpeg
    IMG_4085.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4075.jpeg
    IMG_4075.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 23
OP
Dave0317

Dave0317

WKR
Thanks for the replies, I think you all have convinced me to buy one.

Any preference on which brands have the most realistic size? Or a good balance of realism, durability, and cost?

I’ll also be visiting a range for the first time soon that has a 3D archery section. So I’ll be able to get a bit of practice there as well.

LostArra

WKR
Thanks for the replies, I think you all have convinced me to buy one.

Any preference on which brands have the most realistic size? Or a good balance of realism, durability, and cost?

I’ll also be visiting a range for the first time soon that has a 3D archery section. So I’ll be able to get a bit of practice there as well.
Rinehart makes some nice 3D targets. And they also make some very average targets. You want a Rinehart that uses the same foam as the 18-1. If you are only shooting trad bows then it may not matter as arrow pulling isn't usually a chore.
Antlered targets are more expensive so I usually avoid them. I have three feeding doe targets and a javelina around a treestand, all Rinehart. The doe targets are just ok. I've replaced the inserts and the foam wasn't great. Javelina is good.
One of my favorite targets is the Rinehart Razorback hog. It's realistic in size and has good foam. Mine has been outside for almost 14 years.
Camofire and other sites will periodically have Rinehart blems which save some money.

The Deadnuts targets look interesting but pricey for what they are. I could be wrong since I haven't used one.

I'm not trad shooter, but I think the greatest advantage to 3D targets is training the mind where to aim from elevated positions. Getting real world feedback on POA and POI from a treestand on a life size target is invaluable, especially for new archers.

Maybe the most crucial aspect of practicing from a stand is moving the target closer and further away as this dramatically impacts POA. The steeper the angle, the lower one has to aim, as the shoulder blade covers more of the vitals as the shot angle increases (target gets closer). This is mitigated somewhat on quartering away shots, but still something that newer archers should practice.

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
The value of them to me is in having to pick a spot. The problem is, as soon as they have been shot any at all, they develop worn spots that you can aim for. I shoot a spot much more precisely than I do a less defined aim point. And then on live deer I just black out lol.

The value of them to me is in having to pick a spot. The problem is, as soon as they have been shot any at all, they develop worn spots that you can aim for. I shoot a spot much more precisely than I do a less defined aim point. And then on live deer I just black out lol.
LOL! Agree on picking a spot. A wrinkle, tuft of hair out of place, muscle indentation, etc.... "Aim small, miss small"

Marshfly

WKR
So my son and I went to an archery shop in a nearby town today that had a Technohunt setup. This is essentially a 20 yard indoor bay that is like a golf simulator but for archery. A projector played a video on the screen and a laser thing senses where your arrow hits and scores. You have very limited time so it pays to be able to instinctively shoot your bow by focusing only on the spot.

We found it extremely good for quickly identifying the place to aim and having to quickly get an arrow in that spot. It's best to go with a buddy who can keep you honest about your form.

If you have one near you I highly recommend checking it out. We will definitely be back a few more times before the season.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone who says it’s important.. especially if you use “halfway up the leg” or “in the arm pit” as aiming references. The biggest thing when going from deer to elk is the vast difference in size. Just make sure you put a block target behind it! Haha

Attachments

• IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 9