Image Stabilized Binoculars for Hunting

I am looking to purchase image stabilized binoculars. I will primarily be hunting in Pennsylvania but may travel to other states in the future. I would like them to be on the higher magnification side if possible (12-18) or more if they exist. I would like some opinions on different models or any real world experience you may have.

AGPank

WKR
Canon IS are top notch, they make 10, 12, 15, 18x. The 10x42 would be good all around, 15x50 good for long range. They are heavy would be the negative I see.

OP
B
Canon is the first brand I was looking at. I am just not familiar with the other brands. I don't want to get something with poor quality or customer support. I don't care about weight too much. I always have batteries in the truck so that wont be a problem either.

tdot

WKR
I've used both Canon and Nikon (I think it was Nikon, it was another Japanese brand) they are fantastic on a boat, or for handholding for short durations. Quick scans of a small area, or maybe focusing on a single known object. I personally wouldnt consider them for a hunt, where you are more likely to be systematically breaking down and scanning a hill side, valley, etc. I've used 12x and 15x Canon and I would personally take my Swaro 12x for hunting. If we ever buy a sailboat again, I'll likely even take the Swaro, instead of investing in the image stabilized binoculars again.

I had a pair of Canon 10x30 IS's for a while. The image quality was damn impressive, and the IS was addicting. Sadly, they were not waterproof, not bright enough and not compact enough for my needs, but I can see why some folks carry them. On bright days, they delivered a very good image.

OP
B
My curiosity is killing me....why such high power in Pennsylvania?
I use binoculars for verification of antler points and things like that. I have usually already seen the animal. Also if I go to another state with more open terrain the extra magnification will be nice.

Ive used the Cannon 18x50s since they first came out. Close to 15 years now. They are bigger and heavier than other binos of similar specs but you wont need a tripod. They are weatherproof but not waterproof so you cannot submerge them , rain has never been a issue for me. They take abuse well and if you need a repair Cannon is very quick.
Ive used all the top tier glass and although Leica and Swaro are better, Cannon IS makes up for it. I think they fill a niche where a Spotter is to much and regular binos are not good enough.

Jimss

WKR
Would a spotting scope on a tripod work for field judging? I often use my 10x binos for spotting while still hunting. Once I spot a buck I field judge through my spotter that is already set up on a tripod. I often set my rifle over the spotter to shoot....super stable!

If you plan on hunting much in the west you may want to invest in a set of high quality 8 or 10 x binos for spotting game and a spotting scope to spot plus field judge game at long distances. 12 or 18x binos really isn't powerful enough to field judge most big game species at 1/4 to 1+ mile away. It may work for whitetails at 100 yards but not for hunting open space big game. I have set up 15x power side by side a 20 to 60x spotter and there is no comparison at long range....hands down a spotting scope is the way to go if doing much field judging.

I can see where high power binos may work ok if the imagine stabilizing works but it may be tough trying to hand hold them for hours upon hours? I can see where a tripod with high power binos would help.....if you plan on going that route.....especially if you are standing up glassing and have a backpack on your back. I usually try to sit down and glass....even with 10x binos.

The last 2 seasons I whitetail hunted in open country in Nebraska. I could barely tell how many pts bucks had when set at 15x power. I could estimate each pts length within 1/2" with my spotter at a 1/2 mile+ away! I could also find the tines or ears of a whitetails bedded in tall grass and brush across big draws with my spotter that I wouldn't be able to find with high power binos.

Anyway, those are a few scenerios to consider before buying a set of high power binos.

Block

WKR
I have Fujinon 12x32 and 14x40 stabilized binos for fishing... they're better than the Cannon and Nikon... I’d rather pack regular binos and a tripod any day,,, i think you would too after owning some..

Beendare

WKR
I've tried the Canon- excellent. Really the only downside- as mentioned- is weight...but it can be a factor when dragging them around all day. I sold off my Leica Geo's partially for that reason.

IMO, The only reason to buy stabilized v non stabilized is for the higher power that's easier to hand hold. Buying them in 10x is a bit of a waste, IMO.

I am looking to purchase image stabilized binoculars. I will primarily be hunting in Pennsylvania but may travel to other states in the future. I would like them to be on the higher magnification side if possible (12-18) or more if they exist. I would like some opinions on different models or any real world experience you may have.

Don't have higher Canon magnification experience yet, but optically, the Canon IS L 10x42 is my best 10x . It has better CA control, less ghosting, crisper edges, and equal apparent resolution to my EL SV's (the 12x50's). Noticebly better than my Leica Ultravid HD's. Zero eye fatigue. Make no mistake, it's alpha glass. It's shortcomings are size, weight, and eye cups. Bulk, strange eye cups, I'm telling ya.

I've thought about the newer 14x32 (supposedly better than the 15x50) as a complement to a nicer EL 8x or similar. But ultimately, I'm not sold on the refreshed Canon designs. They are not WP, armored, or durable feeling. I bought and returned the 8x25 because of this. Optically it was OK, with IS on it was stunning of course, even with the small exit pupil. I think that's where the 12x32 and 14x32 will win fans is that narrow FOV and that exit pupil problem is less noticeable when you can walk into a stablized view.

Generally speaking, if Canon ever updates the L 10x42, I will be the first one to buy the new version. I'm still thinking on the others. Probably won't switch to the newer 32's because of the above reasons, but I'm sure they are fine binoculars. Canon makes 10-20k optics for professional photographers that demand far more than hunters.

Todd606

FNG
I’ve had a problem with the cannons the casing seems to scratch very easy up by the eye relieve. The body themselves stay in nice shape but that small area on its back area chips or scratches very easily

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
Don't have higher Canon magnification experience yet, but optically, the Canon IS L 10x42 is my best 10x . It has better CA control, less ghosting, crisper edges, and equal apparent resolution to my EL SV's (the 12x50's). Noticebly better than my Leica Ultravid HD's. Zero eye fatigue. Make no mistake, it's alpha glass. It's shortcomings are size, weight, and eye cups. Bulk, strange eye cups, I'm telling ya.

I've thought about the newer 14x32 (supposedly better than the 15x50) as a complement to a nicer EL 8x or similar. But ultimately, I'm not sold on the refreshed Canon designs. They are not WP, armored, or durable feeling. I bought and returned the 8x25 because of this. Optically it was OK, with IS on it was stunning of course, even with the small exit pupil. I think that's where the 12x32 and 14x32 will win fans is that narrow FOV and that exit pupil problem is less noticeable when you can walk into a stablized view.

Generally speaking, if Canon ever updates the L 10x42, I will be the first one to buy the new version. I'm still thinking on the others. Probably won't switch to the newer 32's because of the above reasons, but I'm sure they are fine binoculars. Canon makes 10-20k optics for professional photographers that demand far more than hunters.

Glad I searched for this thread. I have had Canon IS L 10x42 for 6 years now mainly used it for stargazing. I want to point out that of all the Canon IS models - 10x42 is the cream of the crop - the reason is because they use the same glass used in Canon high end "L" series camera lenses which gets a red ring on the objective. I don't think they will ever make another "L" bino with higher magnifcation due to cost and relatively small market.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Canon 12x32 IS. I bought them to play with, but ideally for my kids and while I am out on a boat so I can spy on other fisherman:) The image stabilization works fantastic. Optically, they will not compete with my Swarovski's if mounted to a tripod, but when hand holding, I can see far more detail with these than I can with any other non-stabilized bino. Would I hunt with these? No, but for the purposes I bought them for they have been great.

orhunter1

FNG
Classified Approved
I have the Canon 12x32 IS. I bought them to play with, but ideally for my kids and while I am out on a boat so I can spy on other fisherman:) The image stabilization works fantastic. Optically, they will not compete with my Swarovski's if mounted to a tripod, but when hand holding, I can see far more detail with these than I can with any other non-stabilized bino. Would I hunt with these? No, but for the purposes I bought them for they have been great.
I don't own a Swarovski binoculars, but I have seen through a few from birder friends. I can tell with Canon 10x42 IS "L" is on-par with the Swaros.