LRF Bino or Image Stabilization Bino

I'm prepping my bank account for a few final pieces of gear. Currently I have a ~10 year old Bushnell. Still works accuracy rating of +/- 1 yard. I want to say its rated for non reflective targets out to 600 or 800 yards. The speed of ranging is a bit slow but it still works. I'm getting geared up for western hunting and need binoculars. When I shot at Tac this year I rented some Sig Image stabilized binos.. OVERLY impressed.. The glass was really good and performance was amazing.

BUT

I also rented the Kilo 10K. I really like the Sig Kilo10k . Doesn't have image stabilization but it does hold my rifles ballistic data and give me all the adjustments I need to make at distances. The glass is pretty good even in low light.

My dilemma is that I can get a new LRF monocular that has the ballistic data and the image stabilizing binos for less than the cost Kilo 10K. BUT the 10k is a single piece of equipment which means I carry less weight and less stuff......

Anyone else have this mental dilemma?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I went with LRF binos because in the process to shoot: 1) glass, 2) range, 3) adjust for dope, 5) shoot, having one piece of gear makes the process more efficient when seconds are gained from less physical movement, and more mental horsepower gained from reduced mental effort.

In the moments that matter, that’s where I maximize gear utility.

I have never wanted stabilized binos to make anything easier. And, I have never “needed” stabilization with my 10x that couldn’t be fixed with the time available to pull out a tripod.

Go with the LRF and AB/Bluetooth Bino. Having the data sent to a Kestrel or Garmin is an added benefit. Having the solution in the LRF and annoyance of it in the LRF, I like it displayed somewhere I can glance.

You can use more accurate temp and have the solution permanently displayed if it is sent to a different device.

If the deer is bedded, you can range and then play with wind in the Garmin or Kestrel while you watch.

If your binos get warm in use in the sun, the temp is off. Linking to a Kestrel or Garmin with the Tempe dongle gets you more accurate temp in solutions for longer distances when input variables increasingly affect precision.

I love having a friend range while I am on the gun and I just glance at my Garmin 701 or Tactix Delta AB for solution.

ElPollo

WKR
I listened to the GoHunt podcast recently on the SIG stabilized binos. The SIG Optics Team was pretty clear that these binos don’t optically compete with a high end pair of 15-18s on a tripod for glassing. They said they pack a traditional set with a tripod for glassing, but use the stabilized 12s to replace the pair they would normally carry on the chest. While a friend of mine has used the stabilized binos and loves them, I see them as a specialized tool that doesn’t really fit what I do for western hunting. If I were in your shoes and I was happy with my ranging binos, I would put my money into a good pair of 15s like Meopta, Maven, or Swarovski and a good carbon fiber tripod and head. The clarity, and light transmission off a tripod will help you find more deer than the image stabilization in hand.

Wrench

WKR
I have the leica3200.com for rifle season. In archery and muzzleloader I use noctovids and a maven rangefinder.

The 3200.com talks to my kestrel and spits accurate dope....but they are 2nd class optically to the noctovid. The ranging capabilities of the maven are better than the leica...but I have to add in external math.

OP
D
I listened to the GoHunt podcast recently on the SIG stabilized binos. The SIG Optics Team was pretty clear that these binos don’t optically compete with a high end pair of 15-18s on a tripod for glassing. They said they pack a traditional set with a tripod for glassing, but use the stabilized 12s to replace the pair they would normally carry on the chest. While a friend of mine has used the stabilized binos and loves them, I see them as a specialized tool that doesn’t really fit what I do for western hunting. If I were in your shoes and I was happy with my ranging binos, I would put my money into a good pair of 15s like Meopta, Maven, or Swarovski and a good carbon fiber tripod and head. The clarity, and light transmission off a tripod will help you find more deer than the image stabilization in hand.

My problem is that I don't have any binoculars. only optics i have are my rifle scopes, my 10 year old bushnell monocular RF, and a 8x monocular I use for squirrel hunting.

I don't "need" a RF but i'm sure my RF is on borrowed time and I've never actually tested it beyond 300 yards and not sure how I feel about its accuracy beyond that, especially trying to use it offhand. I'm leaning towards a bino RF because it can be mounted on a tripod, it'll be very accurate.

But I'll say it again I'd consider the Image Stab and New RF simply because it is cheaper and having image stabilization can seriously cut out having to use a Tripod or a stick rest if I'm trying to get a quick view on something

such a dilemma

I think this depends more on your style of hunting than anything. I have a pair of the 1st gen 16x42s image stabilized binos. I love them for how light weight they are and specifically if I’m shooting my bow and want to see my impacts. They are also great when glassing from the road or trail. You don’t need to stop and whip out a tripod to get a really still image.

Here’s what I don’t like about them: Sig should have included a spot to connect to an arca plate so you can put them on a tripod. Why? Because if I want to show my buddy what I’m looking at, I’m forced to do a talk on. Also, I’m not a fan of the feel while using both hands. One handed, I don’t mind. Lastly, the focus wheel is extremely sensitive IMO and when using with two hands gets bumped more often than I would like.

Also, the FOV on the 16s is pretty narrow.

ElPollo

WKR
Sorry, apparently my reading comprehension sucks. I have not used the SIGs. I have heard good things about them, but I would still opt for better glass and a tripod over image stabilization if I wanted to find game.

ID_Matt

WKR
The glass in the 10K leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Me personally, I would do the bino and handheld RF in that situation. The 5K rangefinder does quite a bit for the price. Glassing the other day with the 10K and Swaro's - the 10K was very disappointing, to the point of it was hard to see animals that the swaro could easily pickup. 6K glass is quite a bit better than the 10K in my opinion, but the ballistic solver is not quite as complex.