I’m torn !! Waypoint 2020 vs Seekins Havak PH2

Margoot

FNG
Proof or seekins. And I recommend that you don’t get a light hunting rifle in a “magnum” caliber. They usually kick to much for most shooters to practice much and hence not shoot well. Maybe someone like a 270 Win. at the max.
I still use light rifles, but hiking a few extra valleys or ridges isn’t a problem to get closer to an animal. That’s what works for me in Idaho.

OP
B
Proof or seekins. And I recommend that you don’t get a light hunting rifle in a “magnum” caliber. They usually kick to much for most shooters to practice much and hence not shoot well. Maybe someone like a 270 Win. at the max.
I still use light rifles, but hiking a few extra valleys or ridges isn’t a problem to get closer to an animal. That’s what works for me in Idaho.
Thanks, Is the 6.5 PRC considered a Magnum Caliber? I understand is has a magnum diameter but I've read that it is relatively low recoil.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Just my .02, the warranty of the seekins makes a poor man feel like he’s a king. I don’t know about you but I’d feel a lot better not having to worry if it breaks or I drop it because they’d take care of any problems and I don’t need to spend hours trying to fix them.

Thanks, Is the 6.5 PRC considered a Magnum Caliber? I understand is has a magnum diameter but I've read that it is relatively low recoil.

Magnum is just a name, it not like everything over X energy or recoil is a "magnum". It has a magnum bolt face and about the same case volume as a 270 win.

My 13 year old son shoots a Seekins PH2 and Christensen Mesa in 6.5 PRC very proficiently un-braked and un-supressed. Granted, he's more skilled than most at shooting centerfire rifles, but he's 5'9" and 140 lbs of gangly teenager and he handles it fine. My wife also likes the Seekins in 6.5 PRC better than any rifle she's shot. The "magnum" label only applies to the performance of this round, not the recoil.

OP
B
My 13 year old son shoots a Seekins PH2 and Christensen Mesa in 6.5 PRC very proficiently un-braked and un-supressed. Granted, he's more skilled than most at shooting centerfire rifles, but he's 5'9" and 140 lbs of gangly teenager and he handles it fine. My wife also likes the Seekins in 6.5 PRC better than any rifle she's shot. The "magnum" label only applies to the performance of this round, not the recoil.
Thanks, this is more in line with what I have been reading.

OP
B
I was able to find a Waypoint and Seekins (PH1) locally yesterday. Both rifles are very nice but fit and finish definitely goes to the waypoint. The Palm swell area of the Seekins is Huge and feels like your are griping a tennis ball. Is this the same in the PH2? Can anyone comment on if they were able to get used to this?

WCB

WKR
From a very reliable source working on loads with multiple Waypoints....their variance from chamber to chamber is off putting to say the least. Not sure it really matters since you would be working with 1 of 1 if you reload but very little consistency from gun to gun.

svivian

WKR
From a very reliable source working on loads with multiple Waypoints....their variance from chamber to chamber is off putting to say the least. Not sure it really matters since you would be working with 1 of 1 if you reload but very little consistency from gun to gun.
Is this person on here that could elaborate? I would like to hear more about this as I am interested at some point getting one of these rifles.

OP
B
Well, I've decided on the Waypoint. I appreciate everyone's input. My FFL was able to get me a Carbon Barrel 6.5 PRC for a smoking deal that I could not pass up. I will be sure to report back once I get so rounds down range.

I'm going to top it with a Leupold VX5 3-15x44. Any suggestions on Rings and Ring height? The rifle comes with a 20 MOA rail.

Last edited:
I was able to find a Waypoint and Seekins (PH1) locally yesterday. Both rifles are very nice but fit and finish definitely goes to the waypoint. The Palm swell area of the Seekins is Huge and feels like your are griping a tennis ball. Is this the same in the PH2? Can anyone comment on if they were able to get used to this?
Getting ready to order a ph2 and this is the only thing that has got me nervous! Any sky have input on this?

Ward1987

FNG
I was in this same boat but for a 6CM. Ended up going PH2 mainly based on all of the positives I've heard about the accuracy and the company. I do think the Waypoint stock looks nicer than the molded stock of the PH2, that was really the main thing that made me want the waypoint, but now that I've had it in my hands I absolutely love the ergonomics of the PH2. I don't think the palm swell is too much, a little bit wider than the HS precision stock Remington VSF I have, but not much.

Other than that the action is super slick, very smooth and easy bolt close and lift. The bolt close and lift seems much smoother/easier than the 700's I have. The trigger is also very nice on the PH2, think I like it as much or more than the Trigger Tech specials I have in my other guns.

Ward1987

FNG
Here's a photo for reference. The PH2 and a Rem 700 VSF I bought in 2003 or so with the HS precision stock

Attachments

• IMG_5804.JPG
    IMG_5804.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 131
OP
B
Getting ready to order a ph2 and this is the only thing that has got me nervous! Any sky have input on this?
I’d definitely put one in hand before you buy if possible. Our local Scheels got some PH2’S and Elements in stock. Both had that same giant palm swell. It’s a beautiful rifle with a very smooth action but the palm swell was a deal breaker for me. Ended up with a Waypoint.