I’m torn !! Waypoint 2020 vs Seekins Havak PH2

What say you? I can get the Carbon fiber barreled Waypoint for $200 more than the PH2. Both guns seem to offer very similar performance and Specs. This will be used as a lightweight hunting rifle, looking at both in 6.5 PRC.

RussDXT

WKR
I have no complaints about my ph2 other than weight, and the waypoint has similar base weights.

Ph2 has a longer running track record.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve done a similar mental exercise multiple times. I think I like the waypoint stock more but the lower price point of the seekins can help buy optics, etc

OP
B
I’ve done a similar mental exercise multiple times. I think I like the waypoint stock more but the lower price point of the seekins can help buy optics, etc
Exactly what I have been going back and forth about. Very similar and I could put the $200 towards the scope. Really like the Carbon Barrel though!!

Anyone with hands on experience with both that can chime in??

sndmn11

WKR
Exactly what I have been going back and forth about. Very similar and I could put the $200 towards the scope. Really like the Carbon Barrel though!!

Anyone with hands on experience with both that can chime in??
What does a carbon barrel accomplish in your mental exercises.

OP
B
What does a carbon barrel accomplish in your mental exercises.
Wasn’t me who said anything about mental exercises. I think I’m picking up on your point though. Does the Carbon barrel provide anything other than a different look?

sndmn11

WKR
Wasn’t me who said anything about mental exercises. I think I’m picking up on your point though. Does the Carbon barrel provide anything other than a different look?
Whoops, you're right, the other guy was exercising.

Yes; does your thought process give value to carbon over steel? You might potentially settle on the Springfield, but learn you can have their steel version for the least expensive of the trio.

I'd personally pick the Seekins because of the bolt head swap ability. I do think Springfield has done a really good job with their other products of getting things right in a feature set, so I'd imagine the Waypoint does the same.

idahodave

WKR
Check magazine length differences if you reload and want to take full advantage of the chambering. Can’t speak to the 6.5, but in my 7mm Rem Mag configuration the Seekins action/magazine allow me to take full advantage of what the 7 can do.

That might help you decide. I couldn’t be happier with me Seekins fwtw. Easily the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned.

dave

OP
B
One more question. How does this rifle carry in the field? I have no experience with the "QD" sling set up but it appears that the top of the sling will have to mount on the side of the stock??

OP
B
Check magazine length differences if you reload and want to take full advantage of the chambering. Can’t speak to the 6.5, but in my 7mm Rem Mag configuration the Seekins action/magazine allow me to take full advantage of what the 7 can do.

That might help you decide. I couldn’t be happier with me Seekins fwtw. Easily the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned.

dave
Thanks, I don't reload currently but its not out of the question.

No experience with the Seekins but was able to put a bunch of rounds through a waypoint last spring and i was thoroughly impressed. Fit and feel was great, absolute joy to shoot, & it was an tack driver @300yds. To be exact i was shooting the 6.5prc with adjustable cheek comb & the carbon fiber barrel topped with a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18

Buzby

WKR
In 6.5prc I’d check the max coal length of the mags for each. Especially if you ever plan to hand load. 6.5prc can be pretty tight in a short action.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I love the look of carbon barrels, but when I saw the Seekins spiral flutes I was in love (well not really but you get the point.) Still working on getting mine dialed in (probably more the shooter than the rifle) but have no issues at this point. I think the weight is good. 8.6 lbs scoped (Vortex 3-15 razor lh) in a long action (300wm) isn't bad in my book. Shoot, my bow is way heavier..... :) I love the long mag box. No issues seating bullets out as far as I want.

I have a Seekins PH2 in 6.5 PRC and 28 Nosler. They both shoot under 1/2" when I'm shooting well. My BIL has a Waypoint. It shoots great, the weight is similar, and accomplishes the same thing, but I could see mag box length being an issue with the Waypoint. My handloads in PRC that easily fit in the Seekins will not go in the Waypoint magazine. Might not be a problem if you shoot factory ammo, but for me it's a no go. Seekins is a slightly better thought out gun in my opinion, and most anything you need (rings, rails, etc.) are also made by Seekins. Easy to ensure that those accessories are going to fit right and perform flawlessly.

OP
B
From a purely aesthetic point of view, I love the look of carbon barrels, but when I saw the Seekins spiral flutes I was in love (well not really but you get the point.) Still working on getting mine dialed in (probably more the shooter than the rifle) but have no issues at this point. I think the weight is good. 8.6 lbs scoped (Vortex 3-15 razor lh) in a long action (300wm) isn't bad in my book. Shoot, my bow is way heavier..... :) I love the long mag box. No issues seating bullets out as far as I want.
I agree on the look of that PH Barrel, but I also love the look of the Waypoint. Seems they are both very capable rifles, Hence my dilemma 😂😂