Im scared of blowing myself up with reloads

leclairk

FNG
My problem is safety glasses. I have a really bad habit of pulling off my glasses when they fog on me.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned and shot rifles all of my life, I have a number of rifles that I had built for me. I did my first 100% DIY build this year, sourced all of the parts, put it all together (pre-fit Proof barrel), checked headspace several time and first trip the range I really didn't want to put my face right up close to the receiver in the event the whole thing blew up on me. First shot from the hip (private property, not a public range) and everything was fine. I handload too so I can appreciate your concern. The most important safety thing you can do is to wear good protective glasses at the range. I always do but I didn't one day when I was shooting my sons .243 and a blast came back in my face and I had to go the eye Dr for a check out. I did have some damage but not permanent thankfully. Rifle had some copper build up in the barrel but could not find any signs of what caused excessive pressure. Good glasses are you best friend at the range. Also, if you don't have a chrony, get one, you're only guessing if you don't. Good luck and enjoy!

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Update: shot a few of my first reloads! 35 whelen book starting loads. All eyeballs and other appendages still attached!

I didn't chronograph them or shoot a group or anything, just rang the 100 yard plate a couple times. They were noticeably watered down compared to the factory stuff I was shooting to check zero.

Fun stuff!!!

packer58

WKR
Glad to hear your still with us... lol
Until you get more experience just stay with book loads and you'll be just fine ....

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Another update - 9x .338 win mags down the pipe and no dismemberment. Worked up to book max with IMR4831 and 250gr accubonds. No pressure signs that my untrained eye can see and 2650fps. I even got a decent group going for 9 rounds all at different charges.

I did have one misfire. Is it possible to seat a primer too deep? I think thats what happened. Top right is first load and they go down from top right to bottom left in order of increasing charge weight.

Attachments

• 20221112_131757.jpg
    20221112_131757.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221112_130630.jpg
    20221112_130630.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 31

49ereric

WKR
Another update - 9x .338 win mags down the pipe and no dismemberment. Worked up to book max with IMR4831 and 250gr accubonds. No pressure signs that my untrained eye can see and 2650fps. I even got a decent group going for 9 rounds all at different charges.

I did have one misfire. Is it possible to seat a primer too deep? I think thats what happened. Top right is first load and they go down from top right to bottom left in order of increasing charge weight.
I always wash my hands before handling primers cuz long ago I did get misfires but after I started washing my hands after resizing no more misfires.

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Would nitrile gloves be a good idea? Unfortunately I HAVE to touch them since I have one of those primer installers that goes in my press.

I would say the gloves would be a great idea if you have to handle the primers although I have never had any misfire issues over the years with bare hands.

49ereric

WKR
Just need to get the case oil off your hands as I was sloppy and inexperienced decades ago.

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Yall think that might be what happened? I didn't get a picture of it unfortunately. It looked like it had a good hard primer strike but I didn't study on it but a quick second before I pitched it out into the woods.

CRJR45

WKR
Yall think that might be what happened? I didn't get a picture of it unfortunately. It looked like it had a good hard primer strike but I didn't study on it but a quick second before I pitched it out into the woods.
Might've been a squib load , no powder and the primer didn't eject the bullet ?

49ereric

WKR
Cant think of the last time I touched a primer. Dump 'em in the tray a give em a shimmy till they are facing the right way.
My old Lee auto primer broke so went back to doing them with the rcbs primer kit on the press.
I don’t shoot enough to need more.

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Might've been a squib load , no powder and the primer didn't eject the bullet ?

Definitely not a squib. The primer didn't pop, and I know for sure it had a correct powder charge in it. I was ultra careful for all of that. I did them all one round at a time.

If they can't really be set too deep, than idk what it was. Cases were once fired from my rifle, and neck sized only since they didnt seem to be all the way stretched yet. Probably from me touching it with case lube on my hands or something. I try hard to only touch the cup but that doesn't mean I didn't touch the cap part. I'll use nitrile gloves next time. I've done a whole bunch of pistol rounds the same way without issue ever.

Doesn't really matter too much, I won't be hunting with these until next year so I'll be shooting plenty of them between now and then.

@Choupique

You might consider buying a good hand priming tool, like the Frankford Arsenal. It's built like a tank, is adjustable for seating depth and is dead consistent. Also, as others have stated, you never need to touch a primer with your fingers. Just a suggestion...

Reloading is fun safe and rewarding, it’s like tying your own flies. Like everyone else has said follow your manual and all will be well.

I wash my hands several times before handling primers. I resize and trim all brass then wash hands, prime all brass and go from there. Could have been a bad primer

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
@Choupique

You might consider buying a good hand priming tool, like the Frankford Arsenal. It's built like a tank, is adjustable for seating depth and is dead consistent. Also, as others have stated, you never need to touch a primer with your fingers. Just a suggestion...
I'll do that.

Rich M

WKR
I started w 357 mag for rifle. Fun and found my favorite deer killer inside 100 yds. Using Lil Gun but had used H110 before. Load shotshells, pistol calibers and a couple rifles. Fun hobby.

Glad to hear OP is gaining confidence.