Illuminated Scope or No?

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
This is probably a stupid question, but I do not have any experience with illuminated scopes so I'm going to ask. I'm looking at getting my first long range hunting scope. Either getting a Nightforce or SWFA. Both have the option to go with an illuminated recital. If I'm just using the scope to hunt during legal shooting hours, it there much of an advantage to having the illuminated option? Thanks for the feedback in advance.

I believe they are still illegal for hunting in some states so you may want to check that out before you pull the trigger

wyosteve

WKR
I just finished an aoudad hunt and will say without reservation that if I didn't have my Firedot scope, I would not have taken the shot. Near dark, but still legal shooting time, heavy overcast and haze to contend with. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

TxJW

FNG
I concur with WyoSteve. Its a great asset that can save the hunt in the early morning and late evening hours. It also allows after dark hunting for game that is legal (hogs) after dark. Can't go wrong having it.

Macintosh

WKR
Depending on if its a thin reticle it can be helpful in some backgrounds even in daylight (really cluttered brush, evergreen timber with dark shadows mixed with bright sunlight, etc). I dont use mine much, but there are times its helpful for sure.
Re: legality, there may be some states that dont allow, but most of the states I hunt use terminology about “projecting” a beam—i have asked the question and been assured by LE in those cases that they are talking about a laser sight that actually projects a dot onto the target, and it does not apply to a RDS or illuminated scope. I would be interested just so I have it in mind to know which states prohibit illuminated scopes.

Last edited:
OP
ELKhunter60

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just checked Montana regulations. It says you can't use infrared scopes or scopes with artificial light on them but then goes on to say illuminated reticles are ok. I can see how people could get confused about that. Wyoming's wording isn't quit as clear but after digging into it they just don't want a visible light projected at a target or game animal.

I'm going with illuminated recital. You guys were helpful - thanks!

Honyock

WKR
Switched over to an illuminated reticle a couple of years ago and I won't be going back to non-illuminated. I guess I've got old man eyes and the illuminated reticle makes low light shots much better.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Switched over to an illuminated reticle a couple of years ago and I won't be going back to non-illuminated. I guess I've got old man eyes and the illuminated reticle makes low light shots much better.
I second that. As I have aged the ability to discern the reticle on target has become more difficult. Illuminated reticles can really help in some if not most lighting situations. They way manufacturers have integrated illuminated in to the design these days I don't see a downside.

Over many decades of hunting I’ve almost never needed it. But on those extremely rare occasions that I did was certainly glad I had it. The only real negative is that it adds weight. So on an all-around hunting rifle I’d opt for it, but if setting up a lightweight sheep rig, probably not.

Marble

WKR
This is probably a stupid question, but I do not have any experience with illuminated scopes so I'm going to ask. I'm looking at getting my first long range hunting scope. Either getting a Nightforce or SWFA. Both have the option to go with an illuminated recital. If I'm just using the scope to hunt during legal shooting hours, it there much of an advantage to having the illuminated option? Thanks for the feedback in advance.
I have had both illuminated and non for 20 plus years. I can not recall a time I have ever used the illumination while hunting or shooting.

I think there are times I could have used it when in dark timber, but it worked out regardless. I like the idea of it, and I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I needed it and didn't have it. Just hasn't happened yet.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I don't need it very often, but a center dot that can be adjusted low has made it much easier to see a dark animal against dark woods at last light. S&B Klassic is very nice example

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Echoing most here - I love an illuminated reticle and always try to buy the model of scope that has it. Also worth mentioning for FFP scopes, it tends to help me see the reticle better on low magnification (when the reticle is super small).

davsco

WKR
I prefer a simple small illuminated center dot
i like the entire reticle to be lit, helps when holding over.

to the OP, yes a lit reticle can really come in handy, esp in low-light situations and also with first focal plane reticles at low magnification.

a lit reticle let me get my first cow elk a few years back. i had left the rifle outside overnight in well below freezing temps and the center of the scope was frozen/clouded. but with the outer perimeter being clear, and the red dot in the center, i was able to have and take the shot.

I'm not familiar with these scopes. It seems it would definitely benefit the hunter in optimal hunting situations where the low light conditions are present. My question is, does the reticle remain visible if the lighted part of it is not illuminated?? Worst case scenario is the battery fails due to the cold, or whatever reason, can you still see the reticle? Does it appear black or grey as a normal reticle in a non-lighted scope?
Or is the lighted part of the reticle not visible and requires it to be turned on?

It really just depends on the optic and reticle as to whether or not its needed. For a FFP scope used for hunting yes I'd always opt for a illuminated reticle. For SFP it just depends. It's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it though. Even in a SFP an illuminated reticle that goes very dim is usually nice to have in the first and last minutes of legal shooting light.

With that said an illuminated reticle can be completely useless if it's so bright on its lowest setting that you can see if with good light because it will just wash out the image entirely in low light.