Illuminated Scope or No?

KenLee

WKR
It really just depends on the optic and reticle as to whether or not its needed. For a FFP scope used for hunting yes I'd always opt for a illuminated reticle. For SFP it just depends. It's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it though. Even in a SFP an illuminated reticle that goes very dim is usually nice to have in the first and last minutes of legal shooting light.

With that said an illuminated reticle can be completely useless if it's so bright on its lowest setting that you can see if with good light because it will just wash out the image entirely in low light.
Especially if you have astigmatism and the illumination is too bright.
I've tried numerous illuminated reticles that are useless to me at the end/beginning of hunts. The good ones, however are spectacular when you lose the unlighted reticle.

Bluumoon

WKR
I have the SWFA 5-20. It kills batteries quickly. Can only see the illumination dawn and dusk. That being said I like it for what it is. A friend has the SHV F1 4-14, I don't like the reticle as well, but much prefer its illumination.

gerry35

WKR
In the past here were a few times I could have used it and wished I had it, the moose in my avatar is one example. 300+ yards at first light trying to see the crosshairs on a dark animal was tough, got the job done though. Would like to get a Nightforce 3-10x40 SHV for my 35 Whelen eventually. A couple of years ago I put a Burris FF IV 2.5-10x42 on my 260 Rem deer gun and love the simple illuminated center. Got one deer just before dark walking a old road with large overhanging trees and I'm sure glad I had it. For sheep and goats in the open you almost never hunt super early or late so it really isn't needed up there.

aubrian95

FNG
I have two Leupold VX-Rs and they work great from dawn till dusk, plus everything in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
I have two Leupold VX-Rs and they work great from dawn till dusk, plus everything in between.

VX-R is a good example of illumination dots that would work for most folks, but not me. 30 minutes after sunset, it's fine.
40 minutes after sunset, I want to throw it out of the tree.

gerry35

WKR
VX-R is a good example of illumination dots that would work for most folks, but not me. 30 minutes after sunset, it's fine.
40 minutes after sunset, I want to throw it out of the tree.
I'm curious, what works for you and your astigmatism you mentioned a few posts ago?

KenLee

WKR
I'm curious, what works for you and your astigmatism you mentioned a few posts ago?
My Leica Magnus is the best I've used extensively.
It has day/night switch and I think 32 settings for each. It and my Zeiss V4 work well. Both 56mm. The V4 just isn't the quality of glass the Leica is.
The V4 is great at last light when looking down into food plots and fields. Turn it to a dark woodline and the difference in glass shows up.
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 in amber dot is great for the sub $700 price.

Shraggs

WKR
Agree with some, if using a ffp scope and will use it on low powers it’s a real asset.

For run of the mill sfp, depends on reticle and how it stands out or not in low light. Some blend.

ran6286

FNG
Looked into the trijicon. I don't know anyone that has one. Does it work as well as regular illuminated?

morgaj1

WKR
Looked into the trijicon. I don't know anyone that has one. Does it work as well as regular illuminated?

I have the AccuPoint, Credo and TenMile. The AccuPoint uses a fiber optic with tritium. It is not as bright as the Credo and TenMile which are battery powered.

Honyock

WKR
I'm not familiar with these scopes. It seems it would definitely benefit the hunter in optimal hunting situations where the low light conditions are present. My question is, does the reticle remain visible if the lighted part of it is not illuminated?? Worst case scenario is the battery fails due to the cold, or whatever reason, can you still see the reticle? Does it appear black or grey as a normal reticle in a non-lighted scope?
Or is the lighted part of the reticle not visible and requires it to be turned on?
To answer your question, when you turn the illumination off it looks like a regular non-illuminated reticle. If the battery fails, you have a regular reticle. Most also allow you to turn the illumination up or down. In low light if you have it dialed up bright it blinds you. I leave mine on low and then dial up if needed. In full sun you want it higher or you can't see the illumination.

DocWarren

FNG
As others have mentioned I find it a necessity on a FFP. I turn it on at the lowest setting at the beginning of the hunt and off at the end. Cary a spare battery until you learn the battery life. I don't like relying on electronics so I may go SFP on my next scope.

Ewnrules

FNG
I’ve always liked the illuminated reticle, but the cost of the scope increases. I’m slowly getting more illuminated scopes to swap out the non-illuminated ones.

WKR

WKR
I have used an illuminated reticle on a bear hunt that made it much easier to find the vitals. Now ill always choose illuminated over non illuminated scopes. This was early morning not evening.

SDHNTR

WKR
To me, it’s an advantage in any scope, but it’s a requirement on FFP scopes.

To echo what everyone else has said, it's kind of a necessity on a FFP scope but even in a SFP it's nice to have depending on your reticle thickness and what/where/when you're hunting. I hadn't even considered what use it could be during the day until someone mentioned black bear which is cool.