Illuminated reticles?

How necessary or beneficial do you find illuminated reticles for big game hunting? I realize the answer can vary wildly depending on location, terrain, hunting style, etc. I am trying to decide on glass for a 22” .308 that will be used in New England and North-West Utah. I would be interested in hearing thoughts on whether it is a nice to have or a must in your minds?

I’ve personally never run into a must have situation but have had a couple instances when I was glad to have an illuminated reticle

Macintosh

WKR
definitely a “nice to have” for me. Very much depends on scope and reticle and your particular situation, but assuming a typical hunting reticle (as opposed to a thin prs-type reticle) in typical deer hunting I dont think you will find many people who consider it critical.

Dented

WKR
It's a low light must have for me. That first/ last 15 of shooting light seems to be when I get most of my shots. I use a thin reticle and the black just doesn't show up.

I use the same scope night hunting with a green light and it's a must have.

For small game hunt hunting it's optional for me.

If you have the Leupold Fire dot duplex, you can turn it off if you don’t want it.

I have been in situations where I wish I had it. That’s why I now do.

Vedauvoo

FNG
Another vote for an illuminated reticle. Really helpful at dawn-dusk. I have 2 rifles with Leupold Fire Dot reticles.

Where and what are you hunting in NW Utah? That is where I grew up. I currently live in the mountains of central Utah.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
If you ever plan to hunt black bears, just get the illuminated reticle. I guided for them and 90% (fake gut feeling stat) of our clients took them within the first or last hour of daylight. Unilluminated black crosshairs disappear on black bears in low light. Sidenote I shot a bison at extremely lowlight this fall and couldn't have pulled the trigger without that dot lit up.

OP
InGobwetrust
Another vote for an illuminated reticle. Really helpful at dawn-dusk. I have 2 rifles with Leupold Fire Dot reticles.

Where and what are you hunting in NW Utah? That is where I grew up. I currently live in the mountains of central Utah.
I don’t want to be too specific yet but north of Etna. Mule deer.

Honyock

WKR
If you ever plan to hunt black bears, just get the illuminated reticle. I guided for them and 90% (fake gut feeling stat) of our clients took them within the first or last hour of daylight. Unilluminated black crosshairs disappear on black bears in low light. Sidenote I shot a bison at extremely lowlight this fall and couldn't have pulled the trigger without that dot lit up.
What he said ^^^! Black bear in the timber in low light, you will be glad you had the illumination. I don't think I would have been able to kill the bear in my picture without an illuminated reticle.

RockAndSage

Lil-Rokslider
The dimmer the light and the darker the target, the more important it is. All it takes is one experience where not having it costs you, and you'll never buy a non-illuminated scope again. If nothing else, consider it like having a fire extinguisher - most people only realize the value of it when they need it, and never make the same mistake twice.