Illinois

is anyone familiar with the area around Murrayville Illinois?

Got an offer to hunt a lease around that area with two other guys as they were looking for another hunter for a total of 3 hunters.

From what I gather it's only 3 hundred acres and not sure how much is wooded? From aerials, woods look very scarce as compared to areas in PA I hunt, but I realize that doesn't mean it wouldn't be good hunting?

Just trying to find out if it's a worthy area of bowhunting for a week for the money? As it wouldn't be prime time either, but a bit before it, Oct 27th-Oct31st.

Just looking for honest opinions, from those who are somewhat familiar with this area. Thanks

That area is pretty good for hunting. I have friends that own land more towards Hannibal MO. I am not sure what county you would be in, but at one time there was an area known as the Golden Triangle that was known for big bucks. I have heard that the outfitters did a number on those bigger deer though. Not sure what it is like now. Timber will not be as big as PA, due to a lot being grazed and split up on different parcels. A lot could be good travel corridors for cruising bucks at that time of year in pre-rut.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
That’s Morgan county, not quite the golden triangle of brown, pike and adams county which is just west of there on the other side of the Illinois river but should still produce good deer and doesn’t have all the name hype of those other counties. I hunt on public in brown and adams county. Don’t let the county scare you away, biggest thing will probably be how the piece lays out and what the properties surrounding it/in the general vicinity are like. My biggest concern would be what percentage of it is timber/crops and how many other people are hunting it before and after your week.

It’s been a while, but I hunted just South of there, not far from Greenville. Mixed woodlots, creekbeds, draws and lots of agricultural ground. Pretty good groceries, varied terrain with lots of funnels and pinch points. Good deer numbers. Some really good bucks. Pretty good potential.

I got access because of a friend. Leases in IL can be kind of rich… but that’s relative.

If the lease is affordable to you and looks good from cyber scouting, you may be glad if you give it a crack.

When I was there, coyotes were pretty thick. Take a few out.

OP
L
Thanks to all for the replies, much appreciated.

At this point I need to get more info, but from what I gather, we will be the first to hunt the property this year? Although the last week of Oct, as later weeks in Nov. are already booked.

I know it's 300 acres, and guessing about half is wooded, with three guys hunting it. If we truly are the first to hunt it this year, that should be a plus, as too much intrusion beforehand surely wouldn't be good with that amount of woods.

Just so you all know my objective, as I surely do not expect to go there, and come home with a booner, but wouldn't complain either. But realistically, I'm lucky if I see a 130 class here were I bow hunt. So if I could go there and at least see a couple good shooters 140 or plus, it would be worth it to me even if I'm not successful, as a change of scenery would be nice for a change. Thanks

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend that hunts some family land around there. Just from our conversations, you shouldn't have any trouble seeing some good deer. Of course, every farm is different.

andy57

FNG
I live about 15 miles from there, most areas around there would be pretty good.lots of crops grown nearby, not sure what parcel you are looking at although I possibly access ground in the area. I am an agriculture applicator for a major company in Morgan county.

OP
L
I live about 15 miles from there, most areas around there would be pretty good.lots of crops grown nearby, not sure what parcel you are looking at although I possibly access ground in the area. I am an agriculture applicator for a major company in Morgan county.

Directly South of Murrayville, property borders Coal Creek, Thanks

andy57

FNG
I used to apply stuff down that way south of coal creek,Have not been there in a few seasons. I have seen some nice deer down there though.