If you were to buy a timber gun…

Rich M

WKR
Inside 300 yards. Light & easy?

Add low noise and light recoil w heavy bullet.

Ruger American Ranch Rifle 350 Legend. I love mine and it will shoot an inch at 250 yards. 165 gr FTX bullet blows thru and leaves a trail.

If you want s bigger bullet, get a .358 200 gr FTX and resize it to .357 then to .356 and load it up. Might only be good to 250 but will hit hard and go thru.

I think my gun weight 7 pounds loaded w scope. 16-inch barrel threaded if you wanna go there. Makes a big hole.

Wish they had these 46 yrs ago when i was lugging the 30-06 kickmaster. Love my 350 Legend.

KenLee

WKR
How short did you cut the barrel down and how was the accuracy? I see the .308 came with a 20” barrel from the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.25 inch off stock and 2 inches off the barrel. Trimmed factory pad to go back on. A additional Limbsaver slip on pad takes it back to standard when/if wanted.
It groups Hornady Whitetail ammo a hair over an inch and cheap blue box Federal Power Shocks at 0.8 moa. Only ammo that I've tried.
It doubles as a youth/small lady loaner rifle.

Seeknelk

WKR
In my situation of a foggy day, tracking mt, timber kinda rifle. I still wanted to hang on to some longerish range ability and did. Fog clears, timber opens up, plans change when tracks go wherever,etc...

For close in timber hunting I use an AR10 in .308 with a swaro 1-6 on top... killed a couple bucks under 30yds that were on the move (blown out), nothing faster for follow up shots... also run a suppressor,

For me it's the perfect set up close and personal... :)

dneaster3

FNG
Lever actions are handy, balanced, and compact enough to navigate through brambles and deadfall. Modern ammo takes the no-thinking range out to 200 easy, and many go further than that.

I’m partial to the JM Marlin 336 in .35 Rem with a Leupold 1.5-4x20.
IMG_8723.jpeg
Another hunter in camp did well with a Savage 99 in .308 topped with a Leupold 2-7x36.
IMG_4401.jpeg

Timber gun? Hard to beat a good old model 7600 pump nice to have for quick shooting in the timber

wyosam

WKR
Tikka compact (youth, not the tactical- easy to sell the stock or trade for a standard) in 7-08 would work great, or the REM model Seven. I’ve got one that wears a variety of barrels- .243 win, 7-08ai, or 257 Robert’s improved. I’d like to add a 338 federal to its repertoire next.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out the "how to lighten to lighten a Kimber Hunter" thread.

5.5 # from the factory (easy to get to 5#), cut/crown the barrel to your preferred length and top with appropriate optic

A lot of the places I hunt muleys are thick timber. We’re talking sub 200 yard visibility max. Not only due to thick timber but also convex shaped mountains that never let a guy see more than 100 yards at a time, even if that particular part of the mountain is pretty open.
I’ve got a Bergara wilderness hunter in .300 win mag with a vx5 3-18 on top that’s a straight up shooter, but it’s not the lightest rifle and there’s a fair amount of recoil for off hand follow up shots in the thick stuff.
I was thinking a tikka in something like 7mm-08 with either a fixed power scope or like a 2-10 power would be pretty nifty for hunting the cover, then still have the .300 wm for when I go to places with further shot opportunities.
Thoughts?

I would go with with a Ruger SFAR in 308 with a 1-4 or 1-6x something or other.

SwiftShot

WKR
For light close fast work. I have a Marlin lever action with a 16 inch barrel in 44 Rem Mag. It has a Cabelas scope made for it and Hornady Lever Revolution Ammo. Cross Hairs sighted at 50 yards first hash is 100, second hash is 150 and top of post is 200. That thing is money for quick timber work on deer and black bear. It has like 15 plus deer on it. If I need to hike thick stuff, it is the gun. Henry makes a nice new one too now. This is a pic of the Henry.Henry-X-Model-featured.jpg