If you were going to buy binoculars for a group of children…

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
What would you choose?

I’m teaching an outdoor enrichment cohort of 5-7 grade students. This is a project based, interdisciplinary program and I’m their primary classroom teacher.

I’m lucky enough to take them on field trips every day to work on projects and learn outdoors.

I want to get a handful of binoculars for kids to share. We received a grant but I can’t spend a ton of money. Even 250 vortex diamondbacks are too much.

Anything you would recommend. I’d like to keep the totally cost of 2-3 pairs under a couple hundred bucks.

Keep in mind, this is to give kids a look at birds on the bay, distant landmarks, etc not pick out antler tines from miles away.

Thanks!

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Vortex Bantam for each one of my kids (8 and 4 years old). I think they were like $60 each with a discount code. They certainly aren't fantastic but for kids they are well more than enough. My kids are both pretty hard on things, especially the 4 year old so the warranty I am sure will be used at some point. They also did a good job making them small and light enough for kids to handle/pack.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Vortex Bantam for each one of my kids (8 and 4 years old). I think they were like $60 each with a discount code. They certainly aren't fantastic but for kids they are well more than enough. My kids are both pretty hard on things, especially the 4 year old so the warranty I am sure will be used at some point. They also did a good job making them small and light enough for kids to handle/pack.
that’s the price point l was hoping for!
Thanks!

Bugger

FNG
Warranty wins in the long run at this price point. Vortex Raptors would be my choice. Cheap porro’s are gonna be better than cheap roof prisms, and they’ll cover damage from drops, soda, spit, dirt, etc.

Kurts86

WKR
My son has the vortex bantam and they are shockingly good for the money. They aren’t alpha glass but they are way better than the 10x25 tasco’s we had as kids.

Dave0317

WKR
1. Definitely ask about donations or at least a discount for a good cause.

2. For the money, a porro prism at medium power will give better clarity than a roof prism and high power. Porro prisms are bulkier, but generally a better image at the lower price ranges. Same with not going overboard on magnification. A 7x or 8x will appear steadier and have a wider FOV when young energetic kids are learning to find what they are wanting to look at. Low quality glass is not as apparent at 7x compared to 12x or higher.

3. Show them how to focus the binos. Sounds obvious, and I’m sure you thought of it, but I see issues with not understanding focus and diopter with kids.
Show them how to rest their elbows on a rail or park bench, or knees if they are sitting down.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
1. Definitely ask about donations or at least a discount for a good cause.

2. For the money, a porro prism at medium power will give better clarity than a roof prism and high power. Porro prisms are bulkier, but generally a better image at the lower price ranges. Same with not going overboard on magnification. A 7x or 8x will appear steadier and have a wider FOV when young energetic kids are learning to find what they are wanting to look at. Low quality glass is not as apparent at 7x compared to 12x or higher.

3. Show them how to focus the binos. Sounds obvious, and I’m sure you thought of it, but I see issues with not understanding focus and diopter with kids.
Show them how to rest their elbows on a rail or park bench, or knees if they are sitting down.
I sent vortex an email!

Arcola

FNG
I would contact Vortex or another company and ask about a donation. Never hurts to ask when its for a good cause.
This is what I would do. Even if they’re not willing to give them to you, perhaps they’d give you a discount on them.

RS3579

WKR
I have the Vortex brand for my sons. They will eventually drop them and the warranty is excellent.

I would opt for the Vortex Diamondback HDs. They’re a little more money, I I think worth it. I’d contact Vortex and see if they either donate or give a good discount. I did something a few years ago when equipping a group of wounded vets on a group deer hunt. The company gave( not Vortex) gave me a substantial discount and gave me one for every two I bought. Worked out well. I think the warranty is a big issue as well. With the group you described they will get damaged. The Vortex warranty is outstanding. I sent a pair of diamondbacks in with a focus issue after a pretty high fall. The service told me up front that I didn’t need to describe how the damage occurred. She said all they needed enough returned to confirm it was their product. Two weeks later a brand new pair ( upgraded to the HD model) came in the mail. Can’t beat that. Good luck.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought a handful of binos for a youth group maybe two years ago. Called @gr8fuldoug at Camera Land. He offered some good advice, gave us a discount, and shipped prompt. Kids loved em.
I am away until Wednesday. Call me then and I will absolutely take great care of you on this great cause. Keeping kids involved in outdoor activities rather than sitting in front of some tv or tablet gives their life meaning and keeps them healthy.
Glad to help
Doug
516-217-1000

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I am away until Wednesday. Call me then and I will absolutely take great care of you on this great cause. Keeping kids involved in outdoor activities rather than sitting in front of some tv or tablet gives their life meaning and keeps them healthy.
Glad to help
Doug
516-217-1000
That’s awesome man thank you!
One of the things that sparked this program was we gave kids emotional screeners and identified high levels of need in almost every grade level. We threw this outdoor enrichment idea out there and my administration has been super supportive helping set up this class and getting me trained.

Thanks so much for offering to help.
I’ll shoot you a pm and give you a call Wednesday!

TxLite

WKR
That’s awesome man thank you!
One of the things that sparked this program was we gave kids emotional screeners and identified high levels of need in almost every grade level. We threw this outdoor enrichment idea out there and my administration has been super supportive helping set up this class and getting me trained.

Thanks so much for offering to help.
I’ll shoot you a pm and give you a call Wednesday!
Really cool program idea. Thanks for getting kids involved as much as possible. Some don’t have parents that will know about or will teach them about the outdoors.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Really cool program idea. Thanks for getting kids involved as much as possible. Some don’t have parents that will know about or will teach them about the outdoors.
Yes!
I think we’re lucky to live in an area with lots of outdoor rec opportunities, but unfortunately not everyone takes advantage of them. Lots of kids don’t work well strapped to a desk. I’m very grateful for this opportunity and I hope we see lots of benefit.

Last my class took field trips once a week and kids loved it. They went kayaking, hiking, beach combing, even pulled invasive plants.

This year it’s full time with more of an academic focus. I’m really excited and hope we can grow this program.