If you thought OHVs on closed roads were bad, check this out.

BluMtn

WKR
Can I hop down while my helo hovers a foot off the ground?

Years ago after they designated the Tucannon-Wenaha wilderness there was an outfitter that was helicoptering hunters into the wilderness, but they would not land but hover off the ground and unload guys and gear. The forest service put a stop to that quickly.

BuzzH

WKR
Can I hop down while my helo hovers a foot off the ground?

If you cant read and want to break the law.

Also, designated wilderness has a 2K foot ceiling that aircraft are supposed to maintain.

§261.18 National Forest Wilderness.
The following are prohibited in a National Forest Wilderness:

(a) Possessing or using a motor vehicle, motorboat or motorized equipment except as authorized by Federal Law or regulation.

(b) Possessing or using a hang glider or bicycle.

(c) Landing of aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies, or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter.

If you cant read and want to break the law.

Also, designated wilderness has a 2K foot ceiling that aircraft are supposed to maintain.

§261.18 National Forest Wilderness.

(a) Possessing or using a motor vehicle, motorboat or motorized equipment except as authorized by Federal Law or regulation.

(c) Landing of aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies, or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter.

So can I parachute into the wilderness from 5000' and if so, does Kifaru make a rod bearer that'll attach to my pack?

9.jpg

Elk97

WKR
Their "excuse" in a local paper was that they "thought" they were outside of the wilderness area (because that helicopter probably doesn't have a very good nav system). So they're not only arrogant (the rules only apply to other people), but they're damn liars too. They knew exactly what they were doing, that's why they had the fishing gear, and they got caught. The media exposure and damage to their reputations will do more harm to them than any fine will. Maybe this will discourage other people from violating the rules in the wilderness areas.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Their estate on Star Ridge rd in Bozeman is estimated at 2.4 million. So somehow I dont think a small fine is enough.

We need more info on the part ownership of OnX...

On her website, she has all her FAA ratings listed, and none of them includes anything rotor wing. Hopefully, this was just the result of some lazy flight planning and an oversight on the pilot's part, whoever that was. But, yeah. Vehicles in wilderness areas suck. Do suppose she's learning how many people support that sentiment right about now.
Husband is rotorcraft rated.

gbflyer

WKR
For all y’all breaking out the ropes and tying the nooses. From the “perps”, not the papers:

“We have a deep appreciation of Montana’s special places and recognize protected wilderness is one of the reasons Montana is the last best place. We have both been avid pilots for more than 20 years; we would never knowingly land a helicopter (or use any motorized vehicle) in protected wilderness under any circumstances. On May 16, we flew to Meadow Creek, a public use airstrip approximately two miles north of the Bob Marshall wilderness complex, to camp overnight with our children. On our way there, we briefly stopped just south of the airstrip in a location we believed to be outside the wilderness boundary. We made a mistake understanding our surroundings and we sincerely apologize. We own this mistake and we’re committed to working with the Forest Service and other stakeholders to try to make this right.”

Snyd

WKR
IF they broke the law then they should pay the price. But personally, I think the law is Federal overreach. "Look don't touch" We've got millions of acres of "so-called public land" locked up for a select few. Unless you can walk or own horses/mules, etc. then forget it.

BS... "Look don't touch" law.... Unless I copy/pasted the wrong one.

National Forest Wilderness.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

Sara and Sam Schwerin said in a statement released by a public-relations firm on Friday that they believed they had landed outside the wilderness boundary.

:rolleyes:
Yea that’s hilarious because they told horsemen To go ahead and take a picture and they will pay the fine. At least that’s the rumor heard on Cal’s podcast...

KineKilla

WKR
I understand how the rules are written and without a doubt these people broke the rules and should pay whatever price deemed necessary by those in charge.

I do question the statements that were made in an earlier post that suggested these areas are set aside and only accessible in "equal" ways to the public to avoid unfair access. I have to say that unless you own stock and can afford to house and feed them you too can access this land far easier than the general public.

Want it equally accessible? Better strap up your boots my brother because you're walking.

I'm not advocating that ATV's, UTV's, Dirt Bikes and helicopters should be granted full access to the wilderness areas but I for one hate stepping into a pile of horse s*** on a public trail as much as I hate seeing tracks from machines in a roadless area.

Hoot

WKR
Cancel culture is more wrong than the wrong these guys committed...and what they did was wrong....

But come on, let's give people the benefit of doubt for just a second (or at least a little grace), let's say they really did believe they were outside the boundary, do you think their initial response to the horsemen would have been "nah we are good, we are below the low water mark, but there's our tail number if you want to report it..."

Now, you could say, "they're rich so theyll just pay the fine and thats why they said that"

or, leaving all bank account jealousy aside, one might logically conclude, they probably honestly thought they were in the right if they said there's my tail number, leave us alone...

I am not condoning the act of landing a helicopter in a wilderness, but it's not as egregious as some of you are making it out to be, they didn't land that helicopter skid on someone's neck....:oops:

Elk97

WKR
Cancel culture is more wrong than the wrong these guys committed...and what they did was wrong....

But come on, let's give people the benefit of doubt for just a second (or at least a little grace), let's say they really did believe they were outside the boundary, do you think their initial response to the horsemen would have been "nah we are good, we are below the low water mark, but there's our tail number if you want to report it..."
No, I think there response to being told they were in a Wilderness area would be "No, we double checked the GPS before landing, this is outside the Wilderness area". But they didn't say that, they had a script rehearsed in case some low life yokel came along and questioned them. If they acted concerned and offered to prove on the GPS that they were outside they would be deserving of the benefit of the doubt. Anyone with that many ratings and flying experience can read a chart and confirm to within a few feet exactly where they are, that's how they find airports in a blizzard.

WTF! Impound the helo, fine and lock her up. Who the hell she thinks she is (besides a filthy rich snob with a sense of entitlement).