If you had a new long action and only shot copper...

He is trying to stay with copper. 270 certainly does it, but I'd be looking at a faster twist to "modernize it" with a little more umph, but with that experience, does it really need it? 6.8 Western? Plenty of that on the shelves...I'm not sure a lead-free load has been put out yet though.
Yes there is a 6.8 lead free.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Is there any reason other than more bullet options to go 30cal? Ideally I'm looking for 160gr-180gr @3100+ which can be done easily in both 7mm or 30cal, but which would likely be most efficient?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
30 cal has slightly less BC then 7mm, but usually more mass/meplat for terminal damage.

LA action, I would probably build a 28 Sherman Magnum. Take a 300 PRC, AI it, and then neck it to 7mm. Very similar to 7LRM from Gunwerks.

If you want 30cal, 300PRC with the Alex Wheeler reamer is solid but overkill.

I have a 30 Sherman Magnum (300PRC AI, but not necked to 7mm, as above.) Even more overkill.

7 SAUM and 300WSM are both good choices too, as you can run the very long high-BC monos. SA builds are more restrictive.

Take a 300WM and have it throated a bit longer. Then you can run factory 300WM ir handliad the longer monos to compete more with the 300 PRC.

Lots of options, but the question is .... will you end up with something too big to be too light to shoot well often?

That 30SM I have, all up, loaded withbrake and sling, is 11lb 7oz. It is a heavy hammer to hump around, and I am looking to lighten it a bit. Wish I would have just done an uber-light 280AI and been done with it.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
30 cal has slightly less BC then 7mm, but usually more mass/meplat for terminal damage.

LA action, I would probably build a 28 Sherman Magnum. Take a 300 PRC, AI it, and then neck it to 7mm. Very similar to 7LRM from Gunwerks.

If you want 30cal, 300PRC with the Alex Wheeler reamer is solid but overkill.

I have a 30 Sherman Magnum (300PRC AI, but not necked to 7mm, as above.) Even more overkill.

7 SAUM and 300WSM are both good choices too, as you can run the very long high-BC monos. SA builds are more restrictive.

Take a 300WM and have it throated a bit longer. Then you can run factory 300WM ir handliad the longer monos to compete more with the 300 PRC.

Lots of options, but the question is .... will you end up with something too big to be too light to shoot well often?

That 30SM I have, all up, loaded withbrake and sling, is 11lb 7oz. It is a heavy hammer to hump around, and I am looking to lighten it a bit. Wish I would have just done an uber-light 280AI and been done with it.
I was looking at the sherman stuff and that 28 SM sounds very cool but wouldnt a 7mega get you close in performance, at least my specs, without having to fireform anything?

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
@snopro176 even the 7 MEGA is fireformed from 300 WSM.

FFing is time consuming and super annoying for a few FPS and the schtick of answering "what are you shooting." And then it gets annoying explaining it over and over, so I just say "basically a winmag" most of the time, because even 300 PRC is not yet well-known enough. If they ask further, I'll explain.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
@snopro176 even the 7 MEGA is fireformed from 300 WSM.

FFing is time consuming and super annoying for a few FPS and the schtick of answering "what are you shooting." And then it gets annoying explaining it over and over, so I just say "basically a winmag" most of the time, because even 300 PRC is not yet well-known enough. If they ask further, I'll explain.
Yea I got the mega confused with the max which they have adg brass for. Too many options these days..

OXN939

WKR
Is there any reason other than more bullet options to go 30cal? Ideally I'm looking for 160gr-180gr @3100

If you're willing to back off a few percent from that max, you could go .30-06 and have a much greater selection of cheaper components and rifles that does, in reality, the exact same thing.

I killed my Nilgai this year with a single TSX doing 2900 from my '06. If it can one shot one of those, it'll easily do anything else on the continent- and I haven't found any evidence of pressure signs with that load yet. Could probably get 3K using Hammers, or just use any of the multitude if factory choices.

Build a 20" 300prc 1:8" twist and shoot these.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Build a 20" 300prc 1:8" twist and shoot these.

Why those over a hammer if they don't have the ballistic tip?? I already have a short 6.5prc so I was thinking 24+" for this gun but yea with a 300prc I won't have a speed issue to worry about. What powder are you short barrel guys using?

OXN939

WKR
Very true about the '06 - I can get 32xx with 130TTSX out of mine.

My mag phase ended when I ran a range with both my .300 WSM and my '06 shooting handloads. Really makes you think about how much extra you're paying to accomplish the exact same thing

Why those over a hammer if they don't have the ballistic tip?? I already have a short 6.5prc so I was thinking 24+" for this gun but yea with a 300prc I won't have a speed issue to worry about. What powder are you short barrel guys using?

Hammers have been proven that their advertised BC are not correct. CEB makes bullets with ballistic tips but I'm pretty sure they recommend those be single feed not magazine feed. Hammers have killed a bunch of critters but I personally would use CEB.

I am shooting 230gr Berger OTM bullets with N570 out of my 20" 300prc. I won't likely buy or build another rifle with a barrel longer than 20" again.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
The OP already ordered a long action with magnum bolt face. So a 30-06 is out of the question unless he changes his order.
Yep. And he's received a lot of options, but by biasing him towards 30-06 we keep him from going 338 Lapua or 375 Cheytac or otherwise. See? It is all plan of the larger plan ... :p

Without getting into wildcats and fire-forming, 7 SAUM/7WSM/300WSM with a fast twist (1:8) barrel is where I would go, to load the much longer less-dense monos. With copper 7s or 30s you don't really get into the really heavy pills due to the length. 208LRX is all I can do without single feeding, even in a 30SM. And there are not many monos above that anyways. (Can single-feed 212LRX, barely.)

If you really want powder burners then move to 300PRC (with the Alex Wheeler reamer if you reload.) But as I have found out ... why go that big if they don't even have monos to play up there? 208 @ 3k is nice, but there are no 230/245 monos in 30cal, so why use that big of a case and that much powder?

FFing and handloading gives you almost too many options .. but a 28SM would be really good play without being quite the burner that 28Nos is (my guess, anyways.)

Pick one, build it with a common contour, and if you hate it, swap barrels chambered in something else (just watch your stock contours...)

Cheers,
-mox

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
Very sound logic. The 28 sm sounds very cool. The 7mega has always seemed like a winner, especially with 160-180s. I haven't found anyone to cut a mega in a carbon tube yet but I have time, won't have the action until about Christmas and I'm sure I'll get talked into 4 other cartridges between now and then. Is there a downside to going 300prc if I'm only looking for a 166 or 174HH to go 3100+? I know yall like to run 200s out of it but I just don't see the need for most my deer hunts, but having the option would be nice if I ever draw a good elk tag. Thanks everyone for the input

Here's a picture of the wife's first deer she took at 282 with that prc I've mentioned on October 2nd
7983a0c57612018ad895766a1b1a40e7.jpg

Im using 80gr of rl26 and the lazers fit in the AICS magazine for me. 3.7340" COAL

Last edited: