If you could move anywhere in the West...

CorbLand

WKR
Really?? You're joking, right?
b13530232bd7519838c4f88710f00939.jpg

2dc20c0654660a28290e40eb2952deec.jpg

318329f7493213da4abddf12014cd512.jpg

919b1871bfc79c931812631dd301b298.jpg

027da98bddd9b523ea9f3cbdd61ff7cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprisingly, no, I am not joking. There are pretty places in every state. I like visiting Wyoming, but over all its a complete shit hole and I would never live there. I grew up with the Tetons out my front window, just on the Idaho side. I have been to Yellowstone 50 plus times, there are other places I would rather go.

elkduds

WKR
CO chose Hillary, rejected Hump. Gov is a Dem. Majority of state votes blue as well. Thus, legal MJ & now assisted suicide. Raising hunting and fishing license $ for residents next year. State and local regs on drilling that are stricter than federal regs. Telluride, Aspen, Denver, Boulder. Thanks in advance for living elsewhere.

In reference to the OP I recommend avoiding CO. To be honest all the states you listed would be an improvement in hunting and conservative values from your current home in WA but lets be honest here. The writing has been on the wall with CO for a decade. CO is the new CA and I see NO turning back. CO is a magnet for Bernie types from coast to coast. If you want to choose a place to live long term, learn your new home hunting grounds, and build a new life based on your criteria I would NOT even enter CO. Its a formerly kick ass state such as CA used to be that has gone down the shitter. This is again based on the OP's criteria.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
In reference to the OP I recommend avoiding CO. To be honest all the states you listed would be an improvement in hunting and conservative values from your current home in WA but lets be honest here. The writing has been on the wall with CO for a decade. CO is the new CA and I see NO turning back. CO is a magnet for Bernie types from coast to coast. If you want to choose a place to live long term, learn your new home hunting grounds, and build a new life based on your criteria I would NOT even enter CO. Its a formerly kick ass state such as CA used to be that has gone down the shitter. This is again based on the OP's criteria.
Perfect name for that reply hahhaha

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Bughalli

WKR
We've been going through the same process, but never seem to reach a conclusion enough to make a move. My wife is a pediatric ICU social worker. So children's hospitals or at least high quality hospitals are a requirement for her. I think it's less because she needs to work at one and more that she see's a lot of the bad cases that only high quality hospitals can address. She see's the treatment kids received before getting escalated to her hospital and it's less than stellar. So for her having access to a high quality hospital is important, especially a children's hospital. Denver has one of the best pediatric hospitals in the country. I lived in Denver for a little while in the late 90's and have family there now. I used to like the Denver area a lot, but it's changed a lot over the past 10 years. Politics aside, the traffic is getting to CA and Seattle levels. Grand Junction doesn't have a children's hospital, but does have very good hospitals. Great access to the outdoors, very good weather, somewhat affordable. Durango is interesting, but has it's drawbacks as others have mentioned. I like Pagosa Springs a lot. Beautiful area. Small, but has a little of everything and the hospital is expanding (although still pretty basic). I wouldn't mind retiring there some day.

Boise is very much up and coming. Lots of opportunity for work life balance, affordable, decent hospitals and growing fast. I kind of feel it's what Denver was 20 years ago. Twin Falls always seemed too flat to me..at least for making a big move to an "ideal" area. You have good access to great country for hunting, but it's still a decent drive. The immediate area around there was just so so in my opinion.

Montana is amazing for the outdoors, but winters are more like the worst WI winters than like CO. Gotta be ready for that. My wife wouldn't go for it (yet). I would probably go to Bozeman if my wife wasn't a factor.

Bend is nice and growing. Fishing is great, good weather relatively speaking, but hunting while still good isn't on par with many of the other top states. But it's just the right size.

I haven't been to WY enough times to feel like I have an opinion. I've been to Jackson Hole a couple times, but feel it's in it's own little bubble and not represemtative of what WY has to offer.

elkyinzer

WKR
I would vote Western Montana simply because that seems to be the next state in danger of becoming Californicated/Coloradized. Need to keep our peoples' numbers up there. I can't speak for too many cities out West but I've been to Boise a few times and I could definitely live there. My perception is that it would be tough to get into good hunting daytrips there but limitless possibilities within a 6 hour drive.

kjack_74

FNG
Idaho or Wyoming is the easy answer just like everyone else on the list but I vote Idaho I lived there and loved the hunting and fishing opportunities plus it's situated where travel to states like Montana and Utah are no issue or even back to Washington for visits. Idaho Fish and Game are doing it right in my opinion based on the other two states I've lived anyway (Oregon and Utah)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk