If Thorofare is the gold standard, bucket list hunt...

cshire

FNG
If Thorofare is the gold standard, bucket list hunt, as far as quality elk, decent success rate, wilderness experience type of hunt, what are the runners up?

Not hunting the west this year, but kicking around ideas for something epic for when I retire in a couple of years, Right now Thorfare would be "The Hunt". But interested in what else might be out there for a true bucket list type Western hunt. More about the once in a lifetime experience than an trophy focused hunt. Guided or DIY. Something I could draw without a 15 year accumulation of preference points, etc.

Areas like the Flat Gila in NM? Colorado 2, 201?

Scoot

WKR
So you want a high quality, high success rate hunt in a wilderness area that is "almost as good as the Thorofare" and you don't want to wait for 15 years to draw the tag? Good luck! Gila draw odds are in the low single digits (or fractions) and it takes one hell of a lot of points to draw 2 in CO for a NR (and an R too). The only thing I can think of is to buy a damn expensive landowners tag in NM or find the right landowner in another state and pay big money to hunt there.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, put in for NM. Can't make a plan because of random draw, but worth it when you pull a tag!

OP
C

cshire

FNG
I’m heading there next September. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing checks all of those boxes that I am aware of.

As far as remote, the only thing that comes close is a 16B tag in NM. The center of the wilderness is ~ 24 miles by horseback. (But you would be riding by plenty of elk to get there) Unsure if anyone can get that deep anymore due to 2013 fire. Too much deadfall.

But draw odds are low single digits. (Look up San Francisco Outfitters if you ever get a tag)

Movi

FNG
Ummm a general elk tag to hunt the thorofare doesn’t take 15 years. In fact you could draw a random tag or for sure be at 100% in 4 years. Also a lot of outfitters have clients with with more points than needed so they party app so you can draw.

My buddy is an outfitter up there and half his clients this fall had only 1 to 2 points going into the draw.

OP
C

cshire

FNG
Ya. I have 4 points for next years draw. So could probably draw for 2023. Haven't checked any outfitters yet, but my understanding is they fill up fast, may be full for 2023 already.

OP
C

cshire

FNG
Got a horse and 2 mules now. NR needs a guide at $9k for the week.
Thats part of why I was looking at what would be similar that I could DIY.

mlgc20

WKR
I've been in the Thorofare several times for hiking & fishing trips. From a wilderness experience it's incredible. It might be my favorite place on Earth. But, from a hunting perspective there are several places in AZ and NM that I would prefer. Both in terms of quality and quantity of elk.

Ralphie

WKR
I’ve spent a lot time in the thorofare. For a backcountry pack in wall tent hunt with horses it’s great. If you want to see lots of elk and big elk I’d take long looks at other places.

60 (and lots older) hunters can do fine in there. The logistics and experience in handling horses and mules in there is a skosh different. Distances, terrain, bears, USFS, NPS, relatively few elk, complicate things.

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend that was in the ideal area you are referring to this year, all guided up and all. Packed in for this amazing hunt and didn't see a dang thing. All the while he had the opportunity to come with me on DIY general and we brought back elk. Funny how that works?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk