IDFG Investigation into Unit 6 Grizzly Shooting

7mm-08

WKR
Very conservative/conscientious hunter. I'll bet 99% of the hunters in Idaho would have never walked that video into Idaho Fish & Game for a second opinion - and it saved him from a citation.

Edit: Just goes to show you that hunting is far from a linear equation AND that humans (trained Idaho Fish and Game personnel not excluded) can and do make mistakes that are not crimes as they lack intent. These strict liability offenses may be well meaning, but they sometimes miss the mark.

Last edited:
The Fish and Game made him punch his tag and they cut the head and paws off of it. He had to leave it at his bait site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TVW
I’m really curious as to what level of fish and game employee ID’d that bear I’ve had enough experiences where I have seen the front desk people at the Nampa regional office hand out 100% incorrect information to have no doubt you could show them that video and get the go ahead to shoot that bear. Or they’d tell you bear season is definitely closed in an open area. It’s really 50/50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
This will likely come up in the future when someone is prosecuted on a judgment call bear like the kid in Montana. If the issuing authority can make a mistake, you can't expect everyone to be perfect and self reporting should be considered as good faith.

Vaultman

WKR
Begs the question, doesn’t it?

Why other than that do you give the blackie in the first video that’s blatantly bigger the pass to shoot the bear that’s obviously immature and smaller a couple days later? Maybe it was last light on the last day of the season, interesting scenario for sure.
Cinnamon colored blackie?

Maybe the staff member that was reviewing the first video was busy and jumped the gun on the feedback/ID and didn't watch the video long enough to see the second bear.
I didn't think about that. That would be bad.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Cinnamon colored blackie?

I didn't think about that. That would be bad.
Perhaps. Maybe they *really* wanted a cinnamon bear and because of that maybe let the obviously bigger blackie walk. Is that what you’re saying?

Vaultman

WKR
Perhaps. Maybe they *really* wanted a cinnamon bear and because of that maybe let the obviously bigger blackie walk. Is that what you’re saying?
Yes. There seem to be a lot of bear hunters that want that cinnamon color. Whether that blinded him to the fact or not, he only knows.