Ideas on new shelters - need some opinions.

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
I am in analysis paralysis at this point and need some help. I feel like i could lighten the gear closet dollars just sitting and solve some issues. I hunt solo 98% of the time and wanting to start to take the kids on scouting missions and oldest potentially for a few days during Elk and Deer season. I am intrigued by some of the new offerings that I can run floorless but add a nest for family if necessary. That said I've been running the shelters below for years now and love them. Just like shiny new things if they can solve and cut what's sitting.

Here's the current shelters I have and run depending on whether I have wife and kids with me-family of 5 and kids are all under 7.

Paratarp - no annex - mostly ran for glassing out of the sun when I lived in AZ

Gen 1 Mega Tarp with Annex and cylinder stove - solo missions or me and the dog

Sawtooth with cylinder stove - mostly run for long extended stays during season - wife and kids do not like floorless so it's a palace for myself.

Hilliberg Anjan 3 GT - wife and kids preferred shelter

Help me stop spinning my wheels with some thoughts here for those of you that run different set ups.
Thanks in advance.

JigStick

WKR
So what exactly is your question? Is there an option out there that fits you and the kids that’s lightweight, floorless, but can take a nest if needed?

OP
deadend88

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
Good Point, I guess I didn't make that clear - apologies. I am looking for suggestions on what people tend to like that differs from my current setups that would allow me to get down to two shelters instead of 3 or is there something light enough that I can run a stove and floorless solo but throw a nest in for the family when they are along for the ride. that will get me down to one shelter. I can scour all the shelters and just get lost, just looking for some opinions.

JigStick

WKR
When you say family how many are we talking? I have a 16man SO tipi when I have my wife, 3 kids, and dogs.

If it’s just me and my two boys (ages 10 and 9) I take my redcliff. Which provides ample room for all of us on Helinox cots, packs, stove, gear. In the warmer months when bugs are an issue we bring along the full nest.

You might be able to get away with a SO cimarron in a similar fashion depending on the size of your kids and gear.

I’m currently looking at a ZPacks Triplex to cut some weight from my Redcliff setup. But the space in the side the Redcliff is just so nice.

OP
deadend88

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
When you say family how many are we talking? I have a 16man SO tipi when I have my wife, 3 kids, and dogs.

If it’s just me and my two boys (ages 10 and 9) I take my redcliff. Which provides ample room for all of us on Helinox cots, packs, stove, gear. In the warmer months when bugs are an issue we bring along the full nest.

You might be able to get away with a SO cimarron in a similar fashion depending on the size of your kids and gear.

I’m currently looking at a ZPacks Triplex to cut some weight from my Redcliff setup. But the space in the side the Redcliff is just so nice.
Family of 5, 3 kids 6.5, 4, 2 and 1 pup. Thanks for the feedback. I took a look at the Zpacks Triplex and it looks intriguing. I have been looking at the Hyperlite Ultamid 4 as that intrigues me as well. The price is a what's holding me off on that shelter though.

CMF

WKR
5 of us. Check out Dan Durston X-mid 2p(40 oz). I've been using it for elk and hunting, usually with my wife or daughter, but I could run it floorless if I go solo.
If all 5 of us go out camping I bring a blacktail 3p in addition to the xmmid. I'll upgrade this eventually, but works for now.

CMF

WKR
I've gone down this rabbit hole before. I like things to serve multiple purposes and reduce the amount of crap I have. I think anything you get big enough for all of you will be too big for when you're solo.
When I upgrade my blacktail, I want a hot tent option to give me other options for when I'm hunting solo or with another in colder seasons

OP
deadend88

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
5 of us. Check out Dan Durston X-mid 2p(40 oz). I've been using it for elk and hunting, usually with my wife or daughter, but I could run it floorless if I go solo.
If all 5 of us go out camping I bring a blacktail 3p in addition to the xmmid. I'll upgrade this eventually, but works for now.
Thank you for the recommendation. I am checking it out now.

Dcronce

FNG
I also have a Durston x-mid 2p. If there are no bugs, I leave the inner mesh at home to save weight and bring the footprint for a floor.

Dcronce

FNG
I also have a Durston x-mid 2p. If there are no bugs, I leave the inner mesh at home to save weight and bring the footprint for a floor.
My favorite thing about the x-mid is that you don’t have to use guy lines to set it up like other trekking pole tents. I’ve had people trip on my guy lines in the past and knock my tent down on me in the middle of the night.

OP
deadend88

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
So it looks like theres 3 different 2p X-mid, didn't get a chance to do deep dive...do you know the differences?

Ram94

WKR
-2P Pro is a DCF, single wall version (no inner) it is very lightweight and slightly smaller than the next 2.

-2P Solid is a silpoly dual wall version with mostly solid inner and a few extras to increase storm worthiness.

-2P Mesh is a silpoly dual wall version with mesh inner.

OP
deadend88

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
-2P Pro is a DCF, single wall version (no inner) it is very lightweight and slightly smaller than the next 2.

-2P Solid is a silpoly dual wall version with mostly solid inner and a few extras to increase storm worthiness.

-2P Mesh is a silpoly dual wall version with mesh inner.
Thank you. sounds like the solid is the way to go if I head that direction.

OP
deadend88

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input. The X-mid wasn’t even on my radar. Just purchased the solid 2p. Looking forward to testing it out.

CMF

WKR
It is worthwhile to read the instructions and set up in the yard before heading to the woods. It doesn't pitch like most tents and a couple times I've started off wrong and had to backtrack.

OP
deadend88

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
It is worthwhile to read the instructions and set up in the yard before heading to the woods. It doesn't pitch like most tents and a couple times I've started off wrong and had to backtrack.
I’ll make sure to do that. Thanks for heads up.

jayrad313

FNG
I’m down to xmid pro when I’m solo or with just one of the kids and the red cliff when it’s 2 kids 2 dogs (80# each) and my wife. That’s with cots and the wood stove.
I’ve played around with sleep systems a bit myself (hammock, bivy/tarp, SO silvertip, Nemo hornet 2p, xmid pro1 and pro2, SO redcliff, and hunting partner has the cimmaron)
The xmid and the redcliff work for me 👍