idea on how to quiet a Prime Nexus

edwal

FNG
I'm replacing a bow this year and have tried Hoyt, PSE, Mathews, Prime , and Bowtech. I have it necked down to the Prime and the Bowtech but the noise from the Prime Nexus is killing me. Any thoughts on how to quiet it down? It is very obviously louder at the shot. I love the idea of being able to shoot 70-80 lbs on the Prime but the extra noise is a factor. Any thoughts would be appreciated .
Thanks, Ed

Heavier arrow, check the flexis ar for buzz, better stabilizer. Get a different bow, I like prime but the split cable yoke system just seems like too much and tuning problems.

Looking at the Nexus, I would add one X-factor string silencer for each of the yoke strings...one silencer per each yoke, (two silencers total for the bow) spanning across the yoke gap. I install them half way between the cams and the doughnut. I use the X-factors on my Prime Rival and they made a significant difference in noise reduction and have not had a failure of the silencer, but replace them when I put a new string set on. Suspect they would help the Nexus as well.

Also would add a silencer to the factory carbon string stop rod. I used an old round button style stick on style Limb Saver silencer button that I cored a (1/4"?) hole in to allow it to press onto the string stop rod. (I carved off the adhesive plate). I position the button about 3/4" away from the metal riser. There are commercial silencers sold but most look like they have a hole that is too large in diameter for the Prime string stop rod...they would be a loose fit and wouldn't work....Bow Jax and Limb Saver come to mind...and these appear to be designed to use on a round metal bar cable guard that is a larger OD than the string stop.

I'd also add a pair of Cat Whiskers to the string. I use a half of a whisker on each end of the string a couple inches from the end.

These items make my Prime Rival very quiet...I've shot three Coues deer bucks between 12 and 30 yards with it and they are as jumpy as any critter I've hunted. Good luck!

What Bowtech are you looking at? I shoot mostly BT but all of the league guys I shoot with run Primes. I haven't shot one yet I like better than the Realm X. And they're not faster. I get the 70#+ allure, but it gets old if you're shooting a lot. Your results may vary.

As far as the noise, I think that sound is from the 2 cams. It will get worse as you increase draw #. Heavy arrows will be your best bet, but its going to be Diminishing returns on your fps and noise issues.

OP
edwal

edwal

FNG
Thanks. I will probably end up with the Bowtech. I was just double checking that it wasn't a simple fix. It was definitely louder at the shot ( maybe the string stop?) Not a buzz more like a slap right at the release. I hate to have to add a bunch of silencers when the other bows were noticeably quieter. I shot the Revolt X and just want to shoot the Solution to check that. Mathews felt ok but the Revolt felt better for me. But yes, the Mathews and Bowtech both felt great at the release .

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I have run a few different primes and some will make more noise than others , and some are dead quiet . My current black 5 , I have the cool hand luke string stop. I shoot 70# 30 inch draw shooting a 5550 to 600 grain arrow , Its dead quiet . Im guessing its quiet due to , the string stop and heavy arrows . Hope that helps .

Thanks. I will probably end up with the Bowtech. I was just double checking that it wasn't a simple fix. It was definitely louder at the shot ( maybe the string stop?) Not a buzz more like a slap right at the release. I hate to have to add a bunch of silencers when the other bows were noticeably quieter. I shot the Revolt X and just want to shoot the Solution to check that. Mathews felt ok but the Revolt felt better for me. But yes, the Mathews and Bowtech both felt great at the release .

I think the Revolt X is probably the best of the BT. The Solution is wicked fast, but is subjectively harsh to draw for me. I did not like the draw or the jumpy cam on it. Even at 28.5-29'' it felt like a dump. The Revolt X is an inch longer and a hair slower, but holds better IMO. Should be cheaper too. I've noticed BT are only louder than Matthews, but definitely quieter than Hoyts, Prime, PSE,.

Did you shoot the bow bare? It could be noticeably different with a different rest or a stabilizer. Either way I would probably choose the revolt x due the ease of tune capability and all else is close or equal.

OP
edwal

edwal

FNG
Thanks everyone. Shot every bow with just a Whisker bisquit . Added a stabilizer and shot a 500 grain arrow out of the Prime and still couldn't get it down to where I'd want it sadly. Yeah I want to feel the difference between the RevoltX and the Solution to see if it is worth the minimal gains.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I wonder if it’s tuned? The new nexus is supposed to be very quiet. A heavy arrow will help a lot in a 80lb bow.

Reactions: Zac
OP
edwal

edwal

FNG
I shot them all at 70 but yeah I will try it again at a different shop just to be sure.

Zac

WKR
It shouldn't matter at all in a practical sense. There's been some very conclusive studies out of Africa which have proved animals react to the arrow and not the bow. If you shoot that bow better than that is a far bigger factor of success tan how much noise it makes. No deer in the world is going to tell the difference.

take a piece of rubber, like from a bicycle tire tube, about 1/4”x1”, and stick it in the yokes. You’ll loose some speed, but it will help.

I shoved a few foam ear plugs in the string stop tube of my alloy and that helped with a silencer on the string stop