Prime Revex 2, Matthews Phase 4, Hoyt RX 7 Ultra, and Prime Inline Bow Shootout!

Wanted to give a little input to some bows that I got to shoot a few weeks ago down at the local archery shop....Dead-On Archery in Boise, ID. Walked in with no appt and for the life of me I can never remember the kid's name that helped me but he was great. Super helpful and setup some bows for me to shoot. I initially really wanted to shoot a Prime Inline because I have been seeing some great deals on those bows online, at first when I told him that he said okay that's great, but you also need to shoot the new Prime Revex. Well if you twist my arm I guess I'll go and shoot a brand new bow ha. I also had him setup a Hoyt RX 7 Ultra and a new Matthew's Phase 4. Keep in mind this will be my second year of archery and I have owned a Prime Nexus and a Hoyt RX4 Ultra before this.

Bows were setup to approx 70lbs and 29.5 inch draw length and I got to shoot all of them side by side. In order of best bow I shot that day I would rank them from greatest to worst.... Prime Revex 2, Hoyt RX7 Ultra, Hoyt RX4 Ultra, Matthew's Phase 4 33", and the Prime Inline in dead last by far.

Prime Revex 2: Incredibly smooth draw cycle, firm backwall (which I like), and the all well known aerogel NASA Elon Musk grip technology.

Hoyt RX7 Ultra: Absolutely dead in the hand after shot (honestly pretty incredible, kinda like driving on a bumpy dirt road and then once you finally hit pavement everything just feels smooth yeah that smoothness is how the RX7 felt), lightweight in hand, decent draw cycle but a spongier backwall compared to Prime

Hoyt RX4 Ultra (my bow): Decent draw cycle, spongier backwall, lightweight, great shooting bow but not dead quiet like the RX7 Ultra.

Matthews's Phase 4 33: Dead quiet shooting (whisper quiet), didn't like the grip at all, the bow actually needed to be put to 28.5 or 28 I can't remember to fit my draw length (kinda weird, but very common supposedly), Stay afield system is really neat, and the accessory support is great. Just didn't love the bow for some reason, don't know if it was the draw or the back wall it just didn't feel good.

Prime Inline: Clunky bow that on the draw cycle just felt awful, did not feel smooth at all, and would not buy this bow at all. Just did not feel like a product I would spend my money on. It honestly was incredible going from the Inline to the Revex. Completely different bows by far.

I will be buying a Prime Revex most likely, second choice would've been the RX7 but other than that I would've just kept my RX4 Ultra. Now just my opinions and my suggestions before buying any bow is go shoot a few side by side and get ready to bring out your wallet because you will immediately know which one is best for you. Thanks for reading and happy shooting!

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you came to the same conclusion a lot of us have. Mathews grip is trash and their DL runs long, but the bow is quiet and vibe free. RX7U is a bad bad bow with a buttery draw cycle, excellent hold, and no vibe. Revex has the best hold, quiet, great grip, and pretty much vibe free.

Pick you up a Revex 4 though, that'd be my choice.

OP
bridgerlabau
Do the Ph4 measure 29.5” but the cam was 28.5”?

Ive never heard of this before and curious if Mathew’s measure DL differently or from a different point in the grip.
I’m not sure, it was just kinda strange to me that it wasn’t the same across the board

OP
bridgerlabau
Sounds like you came to the same conclusion a lot of us have. Mathews grip is trash and their DL runs long, but the bow is quiet and vibe free. RX7U is a bad bad bow with a buttery draw cycle, excellent hold, and no vibe. Revex has the best hold, quiet, great grip, and pretty much vibe free.

Pick you up a Revex 4 though, that'd be my choice.
I agree with this, Prime for the win for me!

65Grendel

Lil-Rokslider
Recently shot almost the same list of bows, but with the addition of the Bowtech SS34. My previous bow is a Mathews V3 31 for reference. The Phase 4 was the first bow I put back out of the group. Draw cycle felt like crap and so did the grip. I went home with a RX7 but it was not my favorite. I enjoyed shooting the Hoyt Z1s the most. Unfortunately it was the loudest bow I have ever shot.