Idaho vs Wyoming

Muleys88

FNG
When it comes to RESIDENTS only, what state has the most opportunities for hunting?
Idaho-Wyoming?

I’ll preface this with the fact that I’m an Idaho resident. Both states offer over the counter deer and elk tags to residents, to draw a rifle pronghorn tag in Idaho requires beating 2-4% odds with no points, but a Wyoming resident can draw them as a 2nd choice. I’m pretty sure bear/mountain lion/wolf opportunities are all the same between the 2. Don’t know or care about turkeys much, I’m guessing we have more opportunity in Idaho. Anyway I think Wyoming wins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Muleys88

FNG
I’ll preface this with the fact that I’m an Idaho resident. Both states offer over the counter deer and elk tags to residents, to draw a rifle pronghorn tag in Idaho requires beating 2-4% odds with no points, but a Wyoming resident can draw them as a 2nd choice. I’m pretty sure bear/mountain lion/wolf opportunities are all the same between the 2. Don’t know or care about turkeys much, I’m guessing we have more opportunity in Idaho. Anyway I think Wyoming wins

Great write up! Both states are only allowed 1 elk/deer tag a year? I know Utah you can have up to 3 elk. General otc bull and 2 cow permits

Great write up! Both states are only allowed 1 elk/deer tag a year? I know Utah you can have up to 3 elk. General otc bull and 2 cow permits

You can buy a 2nd tag in Idaho at times, but you pay the nonres prices. I think Wyoming is pretty liberal with antlerless allotments for elk and antelope especially

As a resident of Idaho, I’m voting for Wyoming. I think it’s the best state in lower 48 for resident opportunities.

I think it really boils down to land mass vs. population.

The fact that you can hunt Wyoming Range deer every year as a resident might sway that vote even more for me 😂 the wilderness elk opportunities are a close second.

johnsd16

WKR
I’m an Idaho resident. My opinions.

Deer - probably slight edge to WY
Elk - WY all day, look no further than gen tag
PH - WY by a mile
Trophy species - I could go either way
Turkey - Idaho
Wolf/lion - even
Fishing - Idaho (I’m a lake guy)
Waterfowl - probably Idaho
Predators - even

Overall big game - WY
Overall other stuff - ID

IDVortex

WKR
I’m an Idaho resident. My opinions.

Deer - probably slight edge to WY
Elk - WY all day, look no further than gen tag
PH - WY by a mile
Trophy species - I could go either way
Turkey - Idaho
Wolf/lion - even
Fishing - Idaho (I’m a lake guy)
Waterfowl - probably Idaho
Predators - even

Overall big game - WY
Overall other stuff - ID
Id agree with this.

I think the ultimate would be to live in Idaho long enough to get the lifetime license perks, then move to Wyoming. I met a guy that did it and now he can hunt Idaho OTC every year and hunt Wyoming now, as well. However, I have found out that there is such a thing as too many tags and not enough time to hunt them all.