Idaho Unit 27 Elk

OP
Mattstokes10
As a graduation present for undergraduate and graduate school, my parents were able to get me an Elk Tag. This will be my first time ever Elk hunting; it has been a dream to go since I was a little kid. I will be going to Unit 27 in the middle fork region. I am not asking for any hunting spots, I just want tips, and what may give this kid from North Carolina a chance to make a dream come true. Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks again!
Quick little update for everyone. I came home with my tag in my pocket but I had the time of my life. Weather was incredibly warm and we hunted anywhere from 9600 feet to around 7400 and just could never get into anything at all. We did get into some mountain goats which was awesome. But all the tips and tricks you all gave me came in handy! I’ll definitely either get a guide or fly in with a drop camp of some sort next time! I feel like that would help my odds a lot. Thank you all for everythingD0C057C9-FFAE-44C6-B8FA-897121E228C2.jpeg!

Quick little update for everyone. I came home with my tag in my pocket but I had the time of my life. Weather was incredibly warm and we hunted anywhere from 9600 feet to around 7400 and just could never get into anything at all. We did get into some mountain goats which was awesome. But all the tips and tricks you all gave me came in handy! I’ll definitely either get a guide or fly in with a drop camp of some sort next time! I feel like that would help my odds a lot. Thank you all for everythingView attachment 467646!
Hunting is more than a kill. Experiencing a place like the FC Wilderness is something few people get to do.

What dates did you hunt?

IDLassie

FNG
It's been terribly hot back there and out front until a few days ago. No moisture everything crunchy and dust and dust and more dust. The pass now has 6" or so of snow on it and some mornings are going down into the teens. Other half finally connected with a nice buck on Monday.

OP
Mattstokes10
Hunting is more than a kill. Experiencing a place like the FC Wilderness is something few people get to do.

What dates did you hunt?
You’re exactly right brother, I made memories with 2 of my best friends that will last forever. I hunted October 14-23

Hey kind of curious. Buddy of mine are from OH and he has family that are out that way and thinking of if not unit 27 then 28. What kind of vehicle did you have, any blow outs, or trouble accessing? Thanks man

Randyrock

FNG
There are a few threads going on the MF Elk Zones. Each one is as depressing as the other! As Hamilton alluded to, you are headed to the big time. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in 27 but have a fair amount of time in 26 and 20A. Depending on what time in October you will be in there, that will dictate some of the precautions you need to take. Weather is a big one. All of the roads in these units have substantial summits in them. Be prepared for snow with your vehicle. Google Earth is a fabulous tool, but it doesn't do the steepness or downfall justice.
Where there isn't a spring or creek, it's extremely dry. Have a plan for drinking water. If you spot elk, make a plan and get in there. The elk do not hang in the same area long, and when the decide to bug out, the country they cover can take you at least a day to catch up (that's if they stop). If there are wolves in there, there are elk close. After all they are in the business of eating. If there wasn't anything to eat, they wouldn't be there. That also goes vice versa. If there are elk there, wolves are probably close. Take your time and enjoy yourself! The Frank Church has kicked my ass since I was a youngster and I go back in there every few years. Usually just for muleys though.
Any way you can share what the weather is like 10/1? And how far do I need to walk in to find them?

Any way you can share what the weather is like 10/1? And how far do I need to walk in to find them?
It can still be fairly warm in the afternoons, but downright cool in the mornings. There are those years that we will get an early snow. Central Idaho weather is famously fickle. I'd be prepared for 70 degree afternoons and possibly 15 degrees and snow. What @Jason Snyder said about finding them! Don't overestimate your abilities to get something out if you don't have stock.