Idaho Unit 27 Elk

OP
Mattstokes10
Like others have said, it is low success and dry, steep, rough country...but beautiful. For October, expext snow; temps could be in the teens at night. Micro-spikes are a lifesaver for hiking the steep country in snow & crossing creeks. If driving any back roads, have chains & spare tire(s).

As others have said, Elk are there. Use glass to find them, then hike to them. Most of all, soak it in and enjoy!
Thank you so much man! I really appreciate you

OP
Mattstokes10
Like others have said, it is low success and dry, steep, rough country...but beautiful. For October, expext snow; temps could be in the teens at night. Micro-spikes are a lifesaver for hiking the steep country in snow & crossing creeks. If driving any back roads, have chains & spare tire(s).

As others have said, Elk are there. Use glass to find them, then hike to them. Most of all, soak it in and enjoy!
Thank you so much for this input man! I really appreciate it!!

sneaky

"DADDY"
What is your current plan for access? Not what location, but method? Driving in on one of the few access roads? Flying in? October is a fickle mistress in this country.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't spent much time in 27 but i have in 26 deer hunting. All the elk were in or around green, living timber with water in the same drainage. While this sounds simple there is a ton of dead, burned out areas and expanses of land with nothing more than grass and rocks. Hopefully that helps. Good luck.

I haven't spent much time in 27 but i have in 26 deer hunting. All the elk were in or around green, living timber with water in the same drainage. While this sounds simple there is a ton of dead, burned out areas and expanses of land with nothing more than grass and rocks. Hopefully that helps. Good luck.
That’s a huge key to the puzzle.

OP
Mattstokes10
Thank you so much for this man!

OP
Mattstokes10
What is your current plan for access? Not what location, but method? Driving in on one of the few access roads? Flying in? October is a fickle mistress in this country.
I'll be driving in, I have a family matter to attend to and that is way more important than the trip so I really did not have an option other than to drive in. I know I will be limited, but I am just lucky to still have this amazing opportunity

branw33

FNG
Fellow Southerner here with a MF elk tag. PM me if you want to talk some strategy. I’ll be going in with another friend of mine and are going to attempt it without a horse pack out.

Nobody with a bit of sense will give you a location. Numbers are down significantly from when I first hunted there.
In terms of travel:
1. High end A/T or M/T tires, full size spare. Rocks will kill H/T tires in there.
2. Chains, preferably for all four tires
3. Shovels, peak roads get drifted badly in good snow storms

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Trackselk

WKR
Lots of truth above. I pack in 27 for a month plus a year (usually in 2 trips), but I don't even mess with elk hunting there. The elk are very sparse, and smart. Where I go in the Frank, driving out in October would be questionable, so I hunt elk elsewhere where there are a lot more elk. Be careful if you cross a big stream that it may not be crossable after some far off rain. And, if you fall in a large stream there's a good chance of getting pushed under a log jam. Tons of deadfall in the streams, and the streams can be more like rivers. Lastly, don't keep the cutthroats or bull trout if you're fishing, as they're threatened or endangered.
Good luck, and if you guys kill an elk in there then be proud you did! I wouldn't pass up any legal elk...

OP
Mattstokes10
Lots of truth above. I pack in 27 for a month plus a year (usually in 2 trips), but I don't even mess with elk hunting there. The elk are very sparse, and smart. Where I go in the Frank, driving out in October would be questionable, so I hunt elk elsewhere where there are a lot more elk. Be careful if you cross a big stream that it may not be crossable after some far off rain. And, if you fall in a large stream there's a good chance of getting pushed under a log jam. Tons of deadfall in the streams, and the streams can be more like rivers. Lastly, don't keep the cutthroats or bull trout if you're fishing, as they're threatened or endangered.
Good luck, and if you guys kill an elk in there then be proud you did! I wouldn't pass up any legal elk...
Thank you for this! I really appreciate your input brotha. It was either here or the panhandle so I got my tag switched to the Fork, mainly because the panhandle seemed to offer hardly anything

H280

FNG
Better have strong legs and a stronger will. That country is insane. I hope you’re in damn good shape with season less than two weeks away. Good luck!

OP
Mattstokes10
Better have strong legs and a stronger will. That country is insane. I hope you’re in damn good shape with season less than two weeks away. Good luck!
After college baseball ended for me in May, I started getting prepared, set the powerlifting aside and really started to focus on what would get me right for this trip!