Idaho Regs...No Tag...Can I still go hike with a hunter

cworth

FNG
A friend pulled a solo tag, and I was wondering if it was legal for me to go with him and be a hiker and hopefully help pack out?

I read the Reg’s, and I could not find where is address this directly, and I do not want to have an issue or be that guy. Obviously two sets of eyes are better than one out in the field even though there are zero plans for me to do anything other than hike and mirror him.

The closest section in the Reg’s that seemed answer this question was:

Definition of Hunting: Hunting means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following or on the trail of, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for any wildlife whether or not such wildlife is then/or subsequently captured, killed, taken or wounded.

Based on this Section you could very well make the case that just being with him I will technically be doing some of this (Obviously without weapon).

Anybody have the answer on this before I call the IDFG.

This is Idaho. Hike on any public land you want. Carry whatever weapon you want, no matter what season there is. If you want to hunt, you could get a wolf, bear , and mountain lion tag and shoot any coyote you see.

Yes...you can accompany a buddy hunting...I asked IDFG this about 10yrs ago when hunting in Idaho and asked if my dad (no license, not carrying a weapon) can be with me, and, could he glass, call, bugle etc..Yes, no problem they said

Questions like this are the reason I’m not surprised our government was able to trample on so many individual freedoms during the pandemic. I’m sorry I just can’t even with this. Are you literally asking if you’re allowed to hike on public land without a hunting license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions like this are the reason I’m not surprised our government was able to trample on so many individual freedoms during the pandemic. I’m sorry I just can’t even with this. Are you literally asking if you’re allowed to hike on public land without a hunting license?

Assisting another hunter without a license is literally illegal in Missouri, so go on OP for clarifying. Get off your covid crap.

Missouri is giving out 5 elk tags now, and you are essentially on your own because knowing another license holder is so rare.

Blows my mind as well. Why don't we just roll over and let the 'govt' dictate what we do. Hiking on public ground with a rifle is what the fellas did back in the 1700s to beat the redcoats.

Buy a license and a wolf tag. More than likely you won't have any issues.
Hypothetically, if you and your partner split up and you happen to bump into a CO, you are indeed falling into the definition of hunting. It's a broad definition designed to be a catch all.

Same here in Virginia, it's called "participating in the hunt" when we used to bear hunt with hounds, my neighbor who was an older fella and couldn't walk in the woods. Would tag along in his vehicle (which came in handy when we would walk a few miles and come out somewhere, he would pick us up and take us back to our truck) one year he decided not to buy his license and got a ticket because he was "participating in the hunt"

So it's probably a smart thing that the OP is asking, because if your participating in the hunt, you may not be able to walk or drive on public land without getting a ticket in certain areas/states

Same here in Virginia, it's called "participating in the hunt" when we used to bear hunt with hounds, my neighbor who was an older fella and couldn't walk in the woods. Would tag along in his vehicle (which came in handy when we would walk a few miles and come out somewhere, he would pick us up and take us back to our truck) one year he decided not to buy his license and got a ticket because he was "participating in the hunt"

So it's probably a smart thing that the OP is asking, because if your participating in the hunt, you may not be able to walk or drive on public land without getting a ticket in certain areas/states

Man, that is insane, and I’m not a lawyer but it seems like something the courts would be willing to take up as this seems to really be a limitation on one’s rights

Back