Idaho Poaching Case

IdahoBeav

WKR
I don’t think so. It dangles a pretty big carrot for the good actors. Terrain is so varied across Idaho this is almost a requirement IMO. If a guy has 640 acres in a prime wintering area out in the desert and he keeps a herd of elk happy on his pivot through the winter, why not give him a chance at a bull tag up in the mountains to go kill an elk in October. Eliminating the unit-wide stipulation would lose a lot of good will and help from the ranching community. Hunting would get worse for the regular hunter.
That's a great deal if the animals actually use the land for wintering. However, hay and other crop losses from elk are often in the tens of thousands of dollars. An elk hunt most likely isn't worth that to a rancher unless he is able to sell the tag.

3forks

WKR
The Idaho Fish and Game are probably just as frustrated in this situation because to prevent future abuses from happening, they either need to scrap/revise the current program or hope that any penalties handed down to the offender are significant enough that it is a huge deterrent for anyone else considering similar actions.

In this instance, with the money that this offender has, it’s likely that he’s not going to be financially penalized enough for it to hurt. Also, I’m sure the offender can afford attorneys that convolute this enough that he ends up with penalty that is minimal at best.

Best case scenario is this guy crashes his helicopter.

IDVortex

WKR
This shows that the LAP program is prone to abuse. Trying to get the legislature (a lot who are large landowners themselves) to go along with IFG and give up this program is pissing in the wind.
But they're farmers and ranchers who value wildlife and also value the small town values, so there's no way they would support such a thing like the system we have no....

Satire.

His Deep pockets will get him off easy. He’ll be out in another state doing the same thing. It’s an addiction like drugs for these people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Customweld
His Deep pockets will get him off easy. He’ll be out in another state doing the same thing. It’s an addiction like drugs for these people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly, you are probably right. His attorneys will muddy up the case and he'll plea it down . Lose his license for a year and pay a few k in fines.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Definitely hope they hammer him. Really makes me mad. Spent alot of time in 54. Similar situation that has been happening for years in unit 40. Havnt seen charges yet but I know F&G was investigating years ago. Yellow plane.

Ha I met that prick. When I had a unit 40 bull tag 3 years ago. What a gem of a human. Pushing elk all over the mountains. I may have shot a bull right above him and his wife (she was really sweet, probably in a hell of a relationship with this guy for his money) opening morning. He legit felt like he owned all the elk in the unit.

Matt5266

WKR
Ha I met that prick. When I had a unit 40 bull tag 3 years ago. What a gem of a human. Pushing elk all over the mountains. I may have shot a bull right above him and his wife (she was really sweet, probably in a hell of a relationship with this guy for his money) opening morning. He legit felt like he owned all the elk in the unit.
That's the guy haha.

He has the money and attorneys to drag this out for years, hopefully the county prosecutor does the right thing. It’s no secret to anyone living here the game with landowner tags, this has been going on for a long time.

Anybody got a name?

Chuckybmd

WKR

Looks like the name is Karl Studer

Really sucks because getting a tag in unit 54 is almost impossible odds. I live in Twin Falls so it would be the best places for me to hunt, but I have put in for many years and never drawn anything.

OP
Customweld

Looks like the name is Karl Studer

Really sucks because getting a tag in unit 54 is almost impossible odds. I live in Twin Falls so it would be the best places for me to hunt, but I have put in for many years and never drawn anything.
Apparently you don't need a tag if you have enough money. Just go dump whatever animal suits your fancy and figure the tag out later!