Idaho non-resident tag question

So, I just got invited to hunt in ID. Due to my busy schedule I usually just hunt in CO on OTC tag as I don’t know if I can get off work to hunt. Can someone give me a clarification, please?

ID used to be OTC for non residents too… I thought. But now it appears they are quota tags and go on sale on Dec 1st of the previous year? And I’m guessing they sell out in about five minutes. Am I wrong here or am I just screwed with no lube if I wanna hunt in ID? Not looking forward to CO as I’ll need to do opening day this year on Labor Day weekend. I must like pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Portabeardo
I’d want to hunt in the unit they also hunt… so I guess I’m screwed. Maybe next December I can try if I have a fast enough internet connection… and get extremely lucky.

I’d want to hunt in the unit they also hunt… so I guess I’m screwed. Maybe next December I can try if I have a fast enough internet connection… and get extremely lucky.

Keep an eye on the returned tags. You still have a shot to get a tag

OP
Portabeardo
Keep an eye on the returned tags. You still have a shot to get a tag

Danny, don’t those come out Aug 1st? I’m guessing those don’t last long either. And with just over 12k tags I doubt many are returned. But…

giphy.gif

johnsd16

WKR
As above, tags get returned and they resell them. Guys with current general ID tags get draw for controlled hunts and turn in the general unit, or they get drawn in other states and return their ID tag.

What tag do you need? Some get returned more than others.

npm352

WKR
Idaho is no longer a state that is a last ditch option when nothing else better pans out.

Danny, don’t those come out Aug 1st? I’m guessing those don’t last long either. And with just over 12k tags I doubt many are returned. But…

giphy.gif

Usually once a month they go on sale. Starts in May I believe. The big one is right after special tags are required to get purchased because in Idaho you can’t hunt a general tag and a special tag

OP
Portabeardo
I’m looking at unit 32A (I think). I may have more time to think about it and do the research for applying for 2024 but will check to see if tags are returned for sure. Thanks for the help, guys. Sucks being forced to live in flatlands when your soul is meant for higher elevation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
First returned tag sale is April 20th. Quick Google search will show you all the dates for returned tag sales. There's never a lot on those lists, but there are usually a handful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
Good luck with the returned tags, know 9 guys that try every year. They have had 0 success.

Danny,
Your only option at this point is to cross your fingers for a returned tag. I am an Idaho resident and had a buddy want to hunt with me a little more last minute. Check the regs for return dates and be quick when it opens. Last year there were 3 different return tag dates. My friend was successful on one for a mule deer tag. The other option is to apply for a controlled hunt, but good luck on that one.

ikeG

FNG
The guys that use the returned tag system would of rather this not get revealed on a forum. However, most desirable tags won't come up on the list anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The guys that use the returned tag system would of rather this not get revealed on a forum. However, most desirable tags won't come up on the list anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
It's plainly listed in the proclamation and on the website. It isn't a deep, dark secret. If someone is counting on the returned tag system they're playing long odds, and poor unit choices already.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
There a way to see how many return tags have come up in previous months? I got invited out to ID, so going to try the hail mary for a return tag for deer.