Idaho/Montana Black Bear - Are tags Spring->Fall or Fall->Spring?

gtriple

WKR
What two seasons are the black bear tags good for? Spring first and then fall second or vice versa for each state?

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure bear is for the calendar year. So all of 2024. But I’ve been wrong before.
ETA, lots of states don’t have a spring bear season.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Pretty sure bear is for the calendar year. So all of 2024. But I’ve been wrong before.
ETA, lots of states don’t have a spring bear season.
That's what I thought, but Idaho lists the seasons as "Fall 2024, and Spring 2025". Montana lists it as "2024 Season", so it looks like Spring and then Fall.

MT- The bear tag you bought this spring is good for spring and fall. You can only shoot 1 bear. Your 2024 general hunting license is actually valid through their “tag year” which will be 2/28/25. All that means is that you’re covered for late season hunts… cow permits, cats, wolf, etc through Feb.

ID- Pretty much the same except you can shoot 2 bears in certain units (1 spring, 1 fall). So if you bought an Idaho bear this spring and didn’t kill one, you can go back this fall, kill one, and you have a valid tag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't believe the Idaho 2 bear zones are one spring and one fall. It's two tags total, once you fill them both you're done for the year. License is good from 1/1-12/31. That covers you for the calendar year. They just include spring hunts in the proclamation because it lets people know what the spring seasons are going to be because they'll start up before the new regs hit the stores.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk