Idaho Hunting

My wife and I are considering making the move to Idaho. Currently, I live in a state where I can legally kill 7 deer per fall and have opportunities for other game animals you’d expect in the Midwest/South - turkey, small game, etc. Our family eats 90% wild game and that’s something I want to continue no matter where I live. What kind of opportunity could one expect in Idaho on a regular and consistent basis? What hunting opportunities can one look forward to year in and year out? Any responses are appreciated!

Referring to deer specifically.

Per person: one deer per year and you can put in for extra deer tag which is a controlled tag. Potentially 2 deer per year per person. Depends on mule deer or WTD. Mule deer average harvest stats ~ 25% +/- depending upon unit and can vary year-to-year based on Winter kill etc. So, it's definitely not a guarantee.

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho will take a few years of trial/error to consistently harvest game. If you befriend folks who are consistently successful, will certainly shorten the learning curve. Overall, great opportunity for residents with all the OTC tags, controlled hunts, etc. Is it like many states east of the Mississippi where getting a deer or two a year is pretty much a given? Probably not.

Unless you know somebody in northern Idaho with a farm covered in whitetail, I think trying to eat wild game 90% of the time is gonna tough (in any western state, tbh). Elk are on the menu, too, so to speak, but I'd be hesitant to plan on getting an elk or two every year.

Spring bear and archery pronghorn every year. Fall bear if you are unsuccessful in the spring.

Plenty of small game and waterfowl depending on where you're moving to.

Obviously mule deer, whitetails, and elk would be included in your sportsman's package.

You'll also want to look in surrounding states. Opportunity is there for those who look for it.

Broomd

WKR
There is some awesome grass fed beef to be had around here. It's not free but cheaper than hunting wild game.
Yep, we get our elk about 50% of the years. two whitetail (wife and I) about every year. We also trade some deer and elk every year with Alaskan friends for red salmon.
But we sure enjoy the home-raised beef! It sells fast too!

Attachments

• IMG_6222.JPG
    IMG_6222.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 28

IdahoSwede

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I are considering making the move to Idaho. Currently, I live in a state where I can legally kill 7 deer per fall and have opportunities for other game animals you’d expect in the Midwest/South - turkey, small game, etc. Our family eats 90% wild game and that’s something I want to continue no matter where I live. What kind of opportunity could one expect in Idaho on a regular and consistent basis? What hunting opportunities can one look forward to year in and year out? Any responses are appreciated!

I grew up in Wisconsin where whitetail are plentiful. If meat is what you are after you WILL work harder to fill the freezer. However in my opinion the experiences are much cooler along the way.

johnsd16

WKR
Totally depends on where. In N Idaho the whitetail density and turkeys definitely provide more opportunity than areas with fewer whitetail and turkey. Surrounding states have good cow elk opportunities to supplement Idaho resident opportunity if meat is the priority.